Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Pro Gaming League goes under

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    This saddens me because I have watched both this and MLG when they were featured on G4 and both were better quality shows than you would expect(especially considering they were on G4). Plus, this was one of the only leagues that featured females as part of every pro team. And believe me, they weren't just there for eye candy--those chics could play.

I'm glad that I still have MLG to look forward to, but this is a very sad day for competitive gaming. As for the people who said they'd rather play than watch, how come you don't feel the same way about baseball, football, tennis, bad mitten or whatever other sport you watch? I love playing my games but I like watching others display their skills too. I learned to like it during the arcade scene and then grew more fond of it during the local tournamant scene. I realize I'm in the minority but I will always have a special place in my heart for watching competitive gaming.

Yeah, I am still blaming it on WoW.

Also, I would not compare this to golf. I would compare it to something else that else gets put onto espn.

Let's see, here are a few off of the top of my head:
    chess
    spelling bees (yes, I have watched 1 of these on espn)
    rock paper scissors tournament

all of those take skill, but not athleticism

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    Nah, you're still very, very wrong.
    Considering he typed it don't you mean "he's" wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    Also, I would not compare this to golf. I would compare it to something else that gets put onto espn.

Let's see, here are a few off of the top of my head:
    chess
    spelling bees (yes, I have watched 1 of these on espn)
    rock paper scissors tournament

all of those take skill, but not athleticism
    Thats a fairly good analogy. While we can all disagree, I can honestly say that golf requires skill but not very much athleticism. Thats not to say that Tiger and the rest of them aren't good athletes, but the sport of golf is not known as a showcase of the greatest athletes in the sports world and thats because it's more skill based.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Once again 1 2 P, you miss the point. The golf that is televised, which is what we're talking about, requires a ton of athleticism. Those guys walk the course. Sure, they have caddies, but if you don't think it takes athleticism to play 72 holes of golf in 3 days, you obviously don't know much about the game. But feel free to wallow in your own ignorance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    but if you don't think it takes athleticism to play 72 holes of golf in 3 days, you obviously don't know much about the game.
    I'm not sure what you do for a living but one of my previous jobs was working in a warehouse. We had to be on our feet for the entire 10 and a half hour shift. And there was much heavy lifting as we were filling up totes to complete orders for stores. If I could do five 10 and a half hour shifts a week constantly walking on a hard concrete floor in a warehouse while filing totes and lifting to stack them on pallets, I'm pretty sure I could easily walk around a golf course for three days. Would I be making hole in one's? Probably not. But would I faint or say I can't take this walking because it's too much? Hell no.

I'm not sure why you are taking this so personal. If you like golf, rock on. Like I said earlier: to each his own. Also, in the same post I said golfing was walking around a park hitting white balls with a stick---I also said video gaming was sitting in your parents basement cursing at people. So if you like watching golf on tv---you go Boat. But I like watching video games on tv. And because those things are different doesn't mean we have to be enemies. So can we hug and make up now?
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 11-20-2008 at 06:20 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I said that I'd rather watch golf than competitive gaming in part because golf requires some athleticism--the people who play golf do something that I cannot do. You implied that professional golf requires no athleticism. I corrected your mistake. I don't know why you felt the need to share your previous employment with us or what relevance that has to this discussion. If you like watching people clicking mice, that's fine. I don't have a problem with competitive gaming. I do have a problem with people spreading misinformation about a sport I happen to enjoy.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My own feeling is that a lot of these Pro Gaming Leagues are largely a leftover decadence from the Start-Up Boom at the turn of the century. I'm sure you could draw all sorts of parallels with other professional sports to argue its legitimacy, but it's not surprising that this particular niche is now tanking. I know that it's still wildly popular in South Korea though, and don't pretend to understand why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You implied that professional golf requires no athleticism.
    But I also typed this....
    I can honestly say that golf requires skill but not very much athleticism. Thats not to say that Tiger and the rest of them aren't good athletes.
    I don't know why you felt the need to share your previous employment with us or what relevance that has to this discussion.
    Thats simple. I shared it because you typed this...

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Try playing 72 holes of golf in 3 days. I very much doubt you have.
    Do you understand now? Good. Now about that hug.....
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

No worries, you're cool with me, 12P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nate1749 View Post
    there's a reason why golf is the sport of choice for middle aged fat men and not, say, basketball or anything that requires running.
    golf requires skill but not very much athleticism. Thats not to say that Tiger and the rest of them aren't good athletes, but the sport of golf is not known as a showcase of the greatest athletes in the sports world and thats because it's more skill based.
    Agreed. I also like what George Carlin had to say about golf.

"I know where we can build housing for the homeless: golf courses.

Golf is an arrogant, elitist game and it takes up entirely too much room in this country. There are over 17,000 golf courses in America. They average over 150 acres apiece. That's 3 million plus acres...4,820 square miles. You could build two Rhode Islands and a Delaware for the homeless on the land currently being wasted on this meaningless, mindless, arrogant, elitist, racist activity."

YouTube - George Carlin on homelessness and golf
    Last edited by Rob2600; 11-21-2008 at 12:11 PM.