Thread: Guitar Hero 1 & 2 on PS3 - Help :(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Guitar Hero 1 & 2 on PS3 - Help :(

Hey...

Was feelin the urge to play some guitar hero and went to hook up my guitar and noticed my ps3 does not have a ps2 controller port, not that big of a shock really but ain't happy about it :/. So I say to myself might as well get guitar hero 3, you can get it pretty cheap nowadays and you should be able to play guitar hero 1 and 2 as an added bonus Wrong After lookin it up apparently you can't player neither one of the 2 games, which is a shock since I can't really understand why.

Is this really true o_0? Is there no way to play GH1 and 2 on the PS3?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Correct. You'll have to get a PS2 to play them afaik.

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

No, I think you can play them. You have to buy a PS Controller Adapter. Just in case you didn't know: you also have to buy an Adapter if you want to transfer PS1 & PS2 saves over to PS3.
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Controller adapters are unreliable. There are a couple out there I've heard about, but none of them are 100% perfect, which I'd suspect is pretty important with a rhythm game.

Not to mention Sony could kill those 3rd party adapters with a firmware update.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Only Guitar Hero 1, that works perfectly on a PS3 with a PS2 to USB controller adapter and a PS2 guitar controller (You can't use the PS3's Guitar Hero contollers for Guitar Hero 3 or World Tour, or the Rock Band guitars).

Guitar Hero 2 and Rocks the 80's are currently un-playable on the PS3 via ANY combination of hardware.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Only Guitar Hero 1, that works perfectly on a PS3 with a PS2 to USB controller adapter and a PS2 guitar controller (You can't use the PS3's Guitar Hero contollers for Guitar Hero 3 or World Tour, or the Rock Band guitars).

Guitar Hero 2 and Rocks the 80's are currently un-playable on the PS3 via ANY combination of hardware.
    This pisses me off becuase GH is the only reason I still keep my PS2 around (I have an early PS3 with full compatibility). How hard can it be to make an adapter? I guess there isn't enough of a market to support it.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    This pisses me off becuase GH is the only reason I still keep my PS2 around (I have an early PS3 with full compatibility). How hard can it be to make an adapter? I guess there isn't enough of a market to support it.

Tempest
    It's all a matter of firmware/controller/software patching.

In the jump from Guitar Hero 1 to 2 Red Octane changed the way that the PS2 read the buttons on their official guitars. (This was in part to combat early iterations of 3rd party guitar controllers...they eventually gave in and allowed the GH2 controller language to be backwards engineered.)

Guitar Hero 1 sends/reads pretty standard button signals (that map to the same signals as a PS2 controller) thus, a standard PS2 to USB adapter works fine on Guitar Hero 1 on PS3.

If either Activision or Sony (or both) made a patch that allowed for Guitar Hero 2 / Rocks the 80's controller "language" to be read on the PS3 we'd be fine (I'm holding on to my Guitar Hero 2 and Rocks the 80's software and hoping that eventually that will happen).

I'm not sure who should take the most blame overall ... but it all goes back to that Guitar Hero 2 controller language.

Again, Guitar Hero 1 works fine on PS3 with an adapter.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tbh i think they should let u upload the songs onto ur ps3 and play them through gh3 if you can't do otherwise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's all a matter of firmware/controller/software patching.

In the jump from Guitar Hero 1 to 2 Red Octane changed the way that the PS2 read the buttons on their official guitars. (This was in part to combat early iterations of 3rd party guitar controllers...they eventually gave in and allowed the GH2 controller language to be backwards engineered.)

Guitar Hero 1 sends/reads pretty standard button signals (that map to the same signals as a PS2 controller) thus, a standard PS2 to USB adapter works fine on Guitar Hero 1 on PS3.

If either Activision or Sony (or both) made a patch that allowed for Guitar Hero 2 / Rocks the 80's controller "language" to be read on the PS3 we'd be fine (I'm holding on to my Guitar Hero 2 and Rocks the 80's software and hoping that eventually that will happen).

I'm not sure who should take the most blame overall ... but it all goes back to that Guitar Hero 2 controller language.

Again, Guitar Hero 1 works fine on PS3 with an adapter.
    mmm i read that you need to press the "ps" button or something to continue and the guitar hero controller does not have said button so you can't And swapping is not possible either because it has no analog setting or something o_0?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
    mmm i read that you need to press the "ps" button or something to continue and the guitar hero controller does not have said button so you can't And swapping is not possible either because it has no analog setting or something o_0?
    Well, it's more than JUST the PS button.

They built USB adapters that have a PS button and supposedly have the Guitar Hero 2 controller language built in ... but despite what they say on the box they DO NOT WORK.

There's currently absolutely ZERO options to get Guitar Hero 2 and Rocks the 80s to play on a PS3 ... other than gutting a SixaxiS or Dual Shock 3 and re-wiring it into a guitar controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it's more than JUST the PS button.

They built USB adapters that have a PS button and supposedly have the Guitar Hero 2 controller language built in ... but despite what they say on the box they DO NOT WORK.

There's currently absolutely ZERO options to get Guitar Hero 2 and Rocks the 80s to play on a PS3 ... other than gutting a SixaxiS or Dual Shock 3 and re-wiring it into a guitar controller.
    bah thats so damn stupid i bought a 60gig so i could get rid of my ps2 wtf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

wtf = Sony was (and still is) making money hand-over-fist on Guitar and Music games on PS2.

If they un-gimp it people will (or would have prior to Guitar Hero 3) stop buying cheap PS2s to get their music game fix.

Sure, that's not a ultra logical theory ... but a few years ago PS3 was selling next to nil and PS2 was selling as well as it ever was.

I agree that it's stupid, and I think now would be a good time for them to un-gimp these things, or at the very least make an update that would allow Guitar Hero 3/World Tour guitars to work with these older games.

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

Exclamation

well, no offense but... there still cheap at gamestop,gamecrazy. You might wanna go back there a re-buy it, that is if this was just recently you sold it.
    This is the reasons why I still keep all my old systems, even though I too have a 60GB I keep my PSone & PS2. Currently so far though all of my 90+ games work perfectly
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Tyler View Post
    well, no offense but... there still cheap at gamestop,gamecrazy. You might wanna go back there a re-buy it, that is if this was just recently you sold it.
    This is the reasons why I still keep all my old systems, even though I too have a 60GB I keep my PSone & PS2. Currently so far though all of my 90+ games work perfectly
    oh I still have my ps2, I don't sell my shit like that but I don't wanna hook it up to my setup (which looks so pretty and nice) every time i want to fuckign play guitar hero 1 and 2 It's damn retarded, the GH3 guitar should work with it Or hell they could at least release that GH1&2 dual pack for ps3 I'd buy it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

oh I still have my ps2, I don't sell my shit like that but I don't wanna hook it up to my setup (which looks so pretty and nice) every time i want to fuckign play guitar hero 1 and 2 It's damn retarded, the GH3 guitar should work with it Or hell they could at least release that GH1&2 dual pack for ps3 I'd buy it
    I hear ya.

This is one of the main reasons I invested in the series on the 360. It's all backwards compatible and uses the same controller on that one.

(Guitar Hero II, the GH1 download packs, Guitar Hero 3 and World Tour all with one standard guitar.)

I do Rock Band on PS3 (larger hard drive capacity for DLC) but I moved my Guitar Hero stuff over to 360 after figuring out all the crap about the guitar compatibility on the PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hear ya.

This is one of the main reasons I invested in the series on the 360. It's all backwards compatible and uses the same controller on that one.

(Guitar Hero II, the GH1 download packs, Guitar Hero 3 and World Tour all with one standard guitar.)

I do Rock Band on PS3 (larger hard drive capacity for DLC) but I moved my Guitar Hero stuff over to 360 after figuring out all the crap about the guitar compatibility on the PS3.
    did they cut down on the dlc price then? cause when i was reading it seemed to be like 90 bucks if you bought all the songs in gh1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

did they cut down on the dlc price then? cause when i was reading it seemed to be like 90 bucks if you bought all the songs in gh1?
    No. It wasn't $90.

While I don't remember exactly how much it was probably somewhere close to the $20-$30 range. Pretty much all the songs except for the bonus tracks are available.

Perhaps you read a quote of the total cost of buying the GH 2 disc AND the GH 1 downloads in total, which is probably around $90 in total.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No. It wasn't $90.

While I don't remember exactly how much it was probably somewhere close to the $20-$30 range. Pretty much all the songs except for the bonus tracks are available.

Perhaps you read a quote of the total cost of buying the GH 2 disc AND the GH 1 downloads in total, which is probably around $90 in total.
    oh goody but no bonus tracks?! i loved a few of the bonus tracks