1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Lips issues

Did anybody else pick up this game? I realize it's a karaoke game and not "hardcore" (joke given other intense threads this week) but me and my fiancee' thought it would be cool because it allows you to import outside music and supposedly mutes the vocals so you can sing over them, thus essentially giving you a personalized totally awesome karaoke machine.

At least that's how they advertised it. 70% of the tracks that I import from my ipod don't play, and it's not muting those vocals unless I turn up the mic and drown them out. And that's also an issue in itself--there's a delay from when you sing to when it comes out of the speakers, and it really disorients you...makes it difficult to follow the backing track. Boogie on the Wii had the same issue and it basically made the game unplayable.

Is anybody else having these issues? Is anybody able to get the voice reduction to work properly? A google search was not fruitful, and the manual just glosses over these features.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    And that's also an issue in itself--there's a delay from when you sing to when it comes out of the speakers, and it really disorients you...makes it difficult to follow the backing track. Boogie on the Wii had the same issue and it basically made the game unplayable.
    haven't tried the game, but sounds like your receiver is introducing lag. have you tried disabling any sound processing you've got going on? i don't have a lot of experience with different receiver brands, but mine has a 'direct' mode that passes the signal straight through to the speakers. i suppose the game doesn't have a calibration screen like rock band, does it?

/2c

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by JunkTheMagicDragon View Post
    haven't tried the game, but sounds like your receiver is introducing lag. have you tried disabling any sound processing you've got going on? i don't have a lot of experience with different receiver brands, but mine has a 'direct' mode that passes the signal straight through to the speakers. i suppose the game doesn't have a calibration screen like rock band, does it?

/2c
    There's no real calibration screen, no. You can adjust the "delay between the song and the game"...whatever that means, but that feature only works in the pre-packaged songs. Most of the games calibration is pretty limited.

But I believe my receiver does have a direct line mode, I'll have to experiment with that. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

So I took your advice one step further and had a good look at my sound setup. The Xbox's sound was going through the HDMI and into the TV. I then had audio cables going from the TV to the receiver. I suspected the TV was causing the interference, so I eliminated the middleman and plugged in an extra audio cable going directly from the Xbox to the receiver. Viola! Problem solved! Thanks again, Junk.

Now MS just needs to patch the blasted song detection. It's either not playing songs from my ipod (they're all DRM free! I copied them from CDs I bought in the 90s. I don't get it.) or simply not even acknowledging the existence of songs on the hard disk. I should call them up and whine to Renuka in Bangladesh about this.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Jared_Vibelicious's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am having the same delay with the vocals .. what you sing comes out of the speakers a second later. I do not have a receiver, so that can't be the problem. my xbox is hooked directly into the TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Usually vocal canceling only works on songs that are recorded a certain exact way. That problem plauges most karaoke type systems that claim to reduce vocals. Apparenly when it works it works though. It's really hit and miss. And probally miss more often than not.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

Quote Originally Posted by Jared_Vibelicious View Post
    my xbox is hooked directly into the TV.
    might want to make sure you don't have some kind of 3d/pseudo-surround-sound processing going on in your tv. i know a lot of newer tv's have that kinda feature that tries to simulate surround sound with the two in the tv. that processing could be slowing the sound down.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Jared_Vibelicious's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tried checking the sound options on the TV, it's a Sony Bravia, only thing it listed was Mono, Stereo & SAP (not sure what SAP is). The option selected is stereo ... I'm still not sure what is causing the delay on the vocal ... strange thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Jared_Vibelicious View Post
    tried checking the sound options on the TV, it's a Sony Bravia, only thing it listed was Mono, Stereo & SAP (not sure what SAP is). The option selected is stereo ... I'm still not sure what is causing the delay on the vocal ... strange thing.
    I've got a Bravia too. I suspect the whole thing is slightly delayed on that TV--picture and sound. ie-what you see and hear is something the machine actually put out a second ago. I think when you're playing an action game or what not the delay is negligible but in this case it's really noticeable.