Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary Reality: Only 20% Of Video Games Become Profitable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Scary Reality: Only 20% Of Video Games Become Profitable

I knew times were tough but damn: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...-ndash-eedar-/

How weird would it be working on a product where you have a 80% chance of failure(although some of them do break even). I guess we can look forward to more mergers like Square-Enix, Bandai Namco and Tecmo Koei. Question is: who's next? Capcom SNK? Konami Midway? What are your guys picks?

EDIT: I just updated the percentage.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 11-25-2008 at 12:39 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I'm pretty surprised that the number is that low, I would have put it close to 50%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TheRealist50

thats it? 4%? I just can't seem to believe it.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I can't believe that either. Doesn't this industry now rival Hollywood? All that profit off of 4%?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder what the success rate is for XBLA games. I'd guess much better than 4%.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

that's crazy! Why make games then? I mean I can understand the majority not making money because they suck and don't sell but the majority should apparently not be made then. Not only does gaming need designers (better ones to) but apparently it needs some business people to

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just remember that 4% is all just after the dues are paid. So what happens are new things are developed out of some one else's pocket, and then they are paid back. That is how we get boundary breaking things like the Havok engine and what not. The fact is, everyone is still getting paid and breaking even to make the game and all that Jazz, and 4% is there for eaither greed or expansion, with that 4% less companies that have debt they have to pay off after the next game.

I mean really, there are a lot of people working on these games, each making(estimated) 30k, then add in costs for distribution, equipment, faculties, etc. It is a lot of expensive stuff, that does get paid off, allowing them to continue to make games. While it may not be profitable, they are still in business, doing what they love, and I think that is why it may be such a low percentage, because so many companies may keep their doors open, just for the love of games. They may hit negative sometimes, and just work together to cover those costs and troop on.

I really don't know what goes on, on the inside of companies, but I know it is a hard road, and only for those who are hard set on getting in the industry. Once they are entrenched in there with a solid job, I am sure they don't want out.

-Jeremy
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's called creative accounting. Perfect example is the Coming to America movie. Some of the people involved are still trying to get money from it but they took a profit deal (same as what these game companies are claiming). Their just expensing every little detail and sometimes other bullshit to reduce any royalties or payments they have to make since technically the game or movie is not profitable. Gotta love hollywood and I guess game companies are following suit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This isn't really uncommon in any industry, most new products fail miserably. Only a very small percentage ends up being a success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to see more details. Like, what games were included in their examination? Does it include arcade games, mobile games, XBLA-style games, direct download PC game sales? Are they talking games released last year, or every game released since 1978?

When a game is released on multiple platforms, do they determine profitability collectively using the total cost and total profit from all versions, or do they separate it somehow? What about when a game is initially released for one system, and then ported some time after the fact? Do they factor in indirect costs such as marketing and basic operations? Do they factor in indirect revenue such as merchandise, product tie-ins, spin-off media (tv shows, comics), character licensing, etc.?

I would think that looking at these factors in different ways would produce a vastly different statistic. Also especially of note is stuff like the virtual console. I can imagine that there are old games that didn't quite turn a net profit initially, but are "in the black" if you factor in VC revenue.

Also, I would imagine there are games where the developer made a modest profit but the publisher had a modest loss, or vice-versa. If that happens, is the game considered "profitable" or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

The oil industry has a 7% profit I believe so if the 4% represents a profit it's not so bad.

Personally I don't believe only 4% of games make a profit. I find it unlikely though it does explain the mergers of late.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It doesn't say the industry averages 4% profit, but rather only 1 out of 25 games makes money. The ones that do make money obviously earn so much that they make it all worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    The oil industry has a 7% profit I believe so if the 4% represents a profit it's not so bad.
    You're comparing two different types of percentages. It doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 11-22-2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: I can spell...really.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

With the endless quantities of shovelware that everyone forgets about, this doesn't surprise me too much, actually.

But then the question is, if shovelware is unprofitable, why publish shovelware?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think another big difference with today's gaming is just the shear amount of competition.

Game system libraries are soooo big now. Even good games don't hold their price as long or sell for as long a period of time.

More games today are shorter and traded in for the next big thing within weeks, whereas SMB3 sold well for years.

Look at things like GTAIV. The game had a big splash when it came out, but fell in price and such quickly as the next big thing came out.

In the old days it could be months until the next big game came out, and that lack of competition allowed the big name games to stay profitable longer.

Also, you do have the buy/sell/trade market now, so a lot of gamers never buy the game new and thus never comtribute to profit...Add in the % of pirate gamers and you have 2 more things against new software today

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Here's my take: The word profit means something different if you're talking accounting profit versus economics profit. Not to poo-pooh the findings, but for something to be considered profitable from an economic standpoint they look at the opportunity cost.

4% of games could be considered profitable from an economic point of view, and yet 50% could be profitable from an accounting point of view (which looks simply at revenue and costs).

Again, I don't know if they're trying to mislead us in any way/shape/or form, but I do wonder if they're factoring things like lost revenue due to re-sale games or something similar into the equation. "4% make a profit" is just too 'gimicky newspaper' headline.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Information like this makes me think that another crash in the videogames industry could be on the horizon, possibly after this generation of consoles. With the low percentage of profit and all the mergers of companies, it makes me wonder, thats for sure. If game companies can no longer make profit off of thier games, they'll either have to make major changes to the industry itself. There has been speculation that all games may be downloadable only in years to come, and this may be closer to reality because the companies won't have unsold stock on the store shelves, they won't have to pay for production of booklets, manuals ect. I'll tell you though, I'll take downloadable games over a decrease in production values any day.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

It has been fixed. The number is actually 20%. Only 4% of games that begin production make a profit, while 20% of finished games do.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't forget about the Sega Sammy merge

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    It has been fixed. The number is actually 20%. Only 4% of games that begin production make a profit, while 20% of finished games do.
    That definitely makes a lot more sense. I was way off getting all semantical with it, but you just had to know 4% couldn't be a real number.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end