Thread: Xbox 360 Sales Pass Original Xbox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox 360 Sales Pass Original Xbox

I suppose it was only a matter of time, but it reached the number two years quicker than the original Xbox hit it: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...original-xbox/

Today the original Xbox--tomorrow the wor.....Wii. Yeah, not likely.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

It took this long?
    Wow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

You would think with the amount of 360s people are buying as replacements this would have been hit sooner

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think that many people run out and buy a new 360 when theirs breakes. Hell, it's only $125 to have the system repaired by MS, regardless of what's wrong.

As for pirates, there are less out there then most people think. It's estimated that less then 5% of 360s were modded.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

I did not realize the original Xbox was that unsuccessful. Explains the seeming abandonement of backwards compatibility...will it make 50 million before we see a new iteration of Xbox?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original XBOX sold about as well as the GC overall.
    The only problem was the PS2 being unstoppable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Microsoft: 360 has outsold original Xbox worldwide [Joystiq]

Filed under: Culture, Microsoft Xbox, Microsoft Xbox 360, Business

Two days after the third anniversary of its launch, Microsoft has confirmed with MCV that Xbox 360 has sold more units to date worldwide than the original Xbox did during its entire lifecycle. Although MS did not disclose exact numbers, the 360's predecessor sold through 25 million units from its launch on Nov. 15, 2001, through May of 2005. Rival Sony recently revealed that global sales of PlayStation 3 have reached 17 million units since the console went on sale Nov. 11, 2006.

MCV also reports that MS had not expected to reach this milestone for one to two more weeks, implying that sales of the 360 could push further beyond that of the first-generation Xbox by the end of the holiday shopping season. 360 heads into the holidays in the wake of a major interface revamp, the New Xbox Experience, and a year which saw substantial price cuts, placing its core Arcade SKU at $199.
    Microsoft: 360 has outsold original Xbox worldwide originally appeared on Joystiq on Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:50:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments
    </img>
    </img> </img>

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    It's estimated that less then 5% of 360s were modded.
    i'd sure as hell mod mine if they could ever get xbmc to run on it... god it'd be a kickass media center. then i'd have an excuse to buy an elite

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually...I know a LOT of people that just buy a new one. You'd be surprised how many people have NO idea you can send em back. I know at least 5 or 6 people here in my tiny town that have done that. Hell...I got an RROD Xbox for $5 at a yard sale this summer here in town and sent it back myself and got a spare And I live in a SMALL town...less than 10,000.

As for pirates...I also know quite a few people who mod their 360s. My cousin modded his and added a switch that lets him switch it back to unmodded to go on Live with it. He put a bigger HD in and has the game ROMs on it. It's VERY common around here. Maybe it's just a local phenomemon...but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    I don't think that many people run out and buy a new 360 when theirs breakes. Hell, it's only $125 to have the system repaired by MS, regardless of what's wrong.

As for pirates, there are less out there then most people think. It's estimated that less then 5% of 360s were modded.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

While on one hand this is a good milestone for MS and is good for future endevors for them in the game industry. On the other hand take away all the defective 360s and their sale numbers would be significanty less. How many people out there are on their second, third machine? Aside from their checkered success with the 360, I think that MS is going to have a PS3 ass kicking holiday.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Insert Coin (Level 0) TVs Hasselhoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    While on one hand this is a good milestone for MS and is good for future endevors for them in the game industry. On the other hand take away all the defective 360s and their sale numbers would be significanty less. How many people out there are on their second, third machine? Aside from their checkered success with the 360, I think that MS is going to have a PS3 ass kicking holiday.
    I think this same argument can be applied to the obscene number of PS2's sold in the past. I'd hate to think everyone's memory is that short, but the PS2 was far from a perfect system, in terms of reliability.

Having worked in retail in the past, the number of systems I had to replace for customers during the first two years of its release was crazy. Microsoft certainly had its share of blunders with the 360, but we can't ignore the fact that Sony sold a ton of systems as replacements, not first time purchases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I too, worked a fair amount of years selling the PS2s at game stores . The 360 isssues in my opinion go way above and beyond the PS2 issues of the "PS2 fat". I am not defending the PS2 issues in any way, but at least Sony got smart and remodeled the PS2 into what it is today....one of the best selling systems(and looking) today. After that there were significantly less issues. I have a day one PS2 slim with zero probs. The 360 continues to have issues, now going onto three years, and several remodels. I just wish that they would do a major remodel and fix some of the nagging issues people are still having. I have to note that I am won my 360 and got it shipped to me before launch. I am but a few people that have not had to replace my 360 out of over 35 friends that I know have a 360. Some of them on their fifth and sixth console. That to me, is just plain bad any way you cut it. I support the 360, their games are great...I just fear that in 10 years finding a 360 that works will be like finding 100 bucks on the ground
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by icbrkr View Post
    You would think with the amount of 360s people are buying as replacements this would have been hit sooner
    I don't think that was a major factor on their sale figures because you could just send it in for and get it repaired for free from Microsoft BUT I know that is how Sony got those huge numbers for the PS1 and the PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original XBOX was kid of hit and miss as far as quality goes. It all depends on which DVD-ROM drive you happen to get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Off topic but here goes....

I agree with the Hoff. I too hope people's memories are not that short.

I also worked in retail during the PS1/PS2 days. Wal-Mart Electronics and Gamestop. The PS1/PS2 numbers are certainly misleading due to the number of double purchases. Sony never really came out and said a thing about it. Never replaced units until the end of the systems life cycles. At least Microsoft replaces them and warranties for three years. They also publicly acknowledged the problem. I think that took some balls but was a better choice than hiding behind a desk and wearing a money hat.

I am not saying that it is acceptable. I'm working on my second replacement. Just wanted to throw in my 2c.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by spoon View Post
    Off topic but here goes....

I agree with the Hoff. I too hope people's memories are not that short.

I also worked in retail during the PS1/PS2 days. Wal-Mart Electronics and Gamestop. The PS1/PS2 numbers are certainly misleading due to the number of double purchases. Sony never really came out and said a thing about it. Never replaced units until the end of the systems life cycles. At least Microsoft replaces them and warranties for three years. They also publicly acknowledged the problem. I think that took some balls but was a better choice than hiding behind a desk and wearing a money hat.

I am not saying that it is acceptable. I'm working on my second replacement. Just wanted to throw in my 2c.
    There is a difference. The PS2 had a high failure rate at two times. The first two launch shipments and the early life of the slim. They got on it and fixed the problem both times. The 360 has been a stinker for three years straight. They knew the 360 was going to continue to fail...so acknowledging the problem was not optional. And that warranty, by the way, is crap. It isn't a warranty, it's a subscription plan.

Does anybody happen to know if refurbs are included in these numbers?

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a difference you are correct.

I would never say they "got on it." Also, I remember how damn hard it was for Sony to even admit there was a problem. If I remember it took a class action lawsuit for them to do anything about the problem. or even admit it. Also, I'm sure there problems lasted longer than three years. Then reared their ugly head again during the slim launch.

You'd be surprised how much easier a replacement program makes it on a retail employee. If I was still working at Gs, I wouldn't have to listen to some snotty kid or his mom bitch because they can't play "Dat Roy Jones on da P2" without buying another system or paying for a repair. Then the floodgates of hell opened.

MS is damned if they do and damned if they don't. I would guess it would be a lifetime subscription plan as long as it was within three years and they still make it? lol.

M$ decided to do what they had to do to get the market share. I don't agree with it. time will tell if it pays off. I'm leaning towards yes.

Nothing against what you said. not even saying it's not a valid opinion. I'm not a fan boy of one or the other. Guess it stems from going through four PS2 over two years. Not to mention all the returns at Wal-mart/GS.

To say who handled their problems better is like deciding which flat tire to run on a race car.
    Last edited by spoon; 11-26-2008 at 05:42 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by spoon View Post
    There is a difference you are correct.

I would never say they "got on it." Also, I remember how damn hard it was for Sony to even admit there was a problem. If I remember it took a class action lawsuit for them to do anything about the problem. or even admit it. Also, I'm sure there problems lasted longer than three years. Then reared their ugly head again during the slim launch.

You'd be surprised how much easier a replacement program makes it on a retail employee. If I was still working at Gs, I wouldn't have to listen to some snotty kid or his mom bitch because they can't play "Dat Roy Jones on da P2" without buying another system or paying for a repair. Then the floodgates of hell opened.

MS is damned if they do and damned if they don't. I would guess it would be a lifetime subscription plan as long as it was within three years and they still make it? lol.

M$ decided to do what they had to do to get the market share. I don't agree with it. time will tell if it pays off. I'm leaning towards yes.

Nothing against what you said. not even saying it's not a valid opinion. I'm not a fan boy of one or the other. Guess it stems from going through four PS2 over two years. Not to mention all the returns at Wal-mart/GS.

To say who handled their problems better is like deciding which flat tire to run on a race car.
    "They got on it" wasn't the best wording. I meant to say, "they fixed it on their end." But regarding the non-DRE slim failures, didn't Sony do a recall on those? That's a fix.
    Keep in mind that the MS 3 year warranty is 1-3 years. Whenever it fails for the first time, you get 90 days from there. So you could still end up with an expensive ($125) repair on your hands in as little as a year after you purchased it and every 90 days from there. That's the subscription plan I mentioned. At least the DRE is an easy fix...the RROD is a system killer. MS is an American company and the game selection is better, in my opinion, so I'd rather have a 360 over a PS3...but that failure rate combined with that warranty sends my business elsewhere. If they would just change the hardware enough to deliver a reliable product, the warranty wouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the topic. Does anybody know if their numbers include refurb sales and replacement systems?

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

[QUOTE

Anyway, sorry for derailing the topic. Does anybody know if their numbers include refurb sales and replacement systems?[/QUOTE]

That is a question I have too.