Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I consider PS3 over 360?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Should I consider PS3 over 360?

I have a little problem- I want to get into the current generation systems, but so far the only thing that really interests me are a small handful of download games like Megaman 9, BC Rearmed, and SDSF2TUHDCEwA. (The new SF2 HD remake) And maybe a couple disc games. But I'm hoping that once I get a system I'll look at the disc games more closely. To be perfectly honest the main reason I want a current gen system is for Street Fighter IV. But I think once I get a system, I'll take more interest in the other games available.

As I've said in other threads, the only thing keeping me from getting a 360 is the hardware. I know rotating defective consoles back and fourth from Microsoft every other week is worth it for you guys who can't live without your 360, but for me it's not worth the trouble. Over the past couple years I've developed a very bad image of the 360, I have the impression that it has a 100% failure rate, it's just a matter of when. I've heard the latest models are more reliable but I still read about DVD drives tearing up games, NXE bricking consoles, or the thing not working for one reason or another. And even if the 360 I buy will never actually fail, I'll still lack peace of mind, worried that each time I turn the system on could be it's last. I don't want to feel like I'm walking on thin ice every time I play a game.

I never really considered PS3, way overpriced with a Blue Ray player I don't need, and a smaller selection of games. But recently I realized that the stuff I really want to play is available on both consoles. So I'm seriously thinking about PS3, considering the high price to be an investment in a higher quality product.

Can anyone with both systems help me decide? Do any of you PS3 owners regret buying it in favor of a 360?

I do have a Wii, but... you know...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do not own a ps3, but I know it is pretty cool.

You can put linux on part of it and use it as a cell processor dev box (uber cool).

Most of the blockbuster titles are out on both systems with just a few exceptions (gears of war 2 on 360, little planet on ps3).

blu-ray player as well.

my personal opinion would be to get a ps3.

linux, blockbuster titles, blu-ray, lower failure rate than 360. yes, i have been considering getting one myself as well if you couldn't tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I like PS3 over the 360 for a few reasons.

1. blu ray player, games on blu ray discs (this means they are scratch resistant)
    2. machine is more solid (not sure if the new 360s are better now)
    3. audio is usually a little better in the games from what I've found

If you don't plan on using the blu ray player, I would go with a 360 though- live stomps on the PSN, despite the fact that they both work fine and PSN is free.

I try to buy all multi system games on the PS3 for reason number 1, but most of my friends have 360s so I end up buying anything with guns on that for multiplayer.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Well, I've owned both and play the 360 much more because the exclusive games were so much better than those for the PS3 (for me). I've had the RROD and didn't think it was that big a deal at all. From calling it in to getting it back was 1.5 weeks. You however sound like the worry would fry your nerves so I would seriously suggest a PS3 since it's true that a 360 can go any minute. I just don't worry about things like that - it's just a game console.

I would suggest you really look over the exclusive games for each and decide that way. Also, the cost is not more than a 360 if you are also getting wireless adapter and a hard drive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A couple of minor things to consider, which are of interest to me personally:

The PS3 uses a standard 2.5" SATA hard drive, which can be cheaply and easily upgraded. You can upgrade to a 500GB drive for about the same cost as the 120GB XBOX drive.

The 360 can output VGA and supports a wider variety of resolutions natively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geneshifter View Post
    I would suggest you really look over the exclusive games for each and decide that way.
    for most people's decisions (and including mine) this is what it will come down to

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

That's how I'm viewing my decision of getting a 360 over the PS3. There are simply more games I want for the 360. Of course, YMMV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Even though I love the 360 and would recommend it to anyone (based on the best current-gen library IMO) it seems you would be best served by picking up a PS3. You're completely right in your assessment of the 360 breaking. It's just a matter of time. New heat sinks, new GPU/CPU chips...it doesn't matter. Even the newest 360 rolling off the assembly line will get the RRoD eventually.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

During the original XBOXs lifetime, it was my favorite console. In fact, so much that for the longest time I never owned a GC or PS2. I played the hell out of the thing, and own 90+ games for it. But with the current gen, the Wii was the 1st system I owned because of it's relative inexpensive cost. And at the time, I swore off the PS3 because I thought it was outrageous to pay $600 for a video game console.

Fast forward to last year, when we got a new 1080p TV, and really wanted to experience HD movies. The PS3 was the cheapest and most full featured player, so I purchased one. That said, I don't regret the purchase one bit. There are very few games I want to play that aren't cross platform, so I don't lose sleep over 360 titles. I won't buy a 360 because of its shitty track record. The PS3 games look as good as the 360s and it's a very very reliable machine. Lately I've been buying more games and have been getting a lot of use out of it. 90% of the games I want to play are on the system, so it works out great for me.

Anyway thats just my 2 cents. This topic seems to come up a lot around here. And I could have sworn there's been a recent topic thats very similar. I don't feel like searching though.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I'm more for 360. There's just more software out there that can help justify the purchase. I'm on my 2nd 360, after a RRoD warranty exchange on my launch model(which lasted about 8 months). The replacement one has been traveling around a lot, bumped around, left in extreme temperatures(cold and hot), and it works flawlessly. I think that since there have been an unacceptable number of defective units, all you hear about are the ones that fail. Only when someone is coming to a system's defense do you hear about those who have worked well and experienced little/no problems.

As far as the failure rate, just buy an extended protection plan from whomever you get the machine from. That way, you're covered by them and should have a replacement right away. That should help calm the nerves, so to speak. I just think that the reward outweighs the risks with the 360.

I like the PS3, don't get me wrong. It's got some can't-miss games, but I think it's still a bit lacking in the software department.

The only downside for both is that both standard controllers are shit for 2D fighters. :P
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would suggest you also look over the exclusives for each system. Honestly the 360 has a lot going for it and the game selection is the best of the current gen consoles (in my opinion). The PS3 is cool for watching Blu ray and I can use my PSP in conjunction with it. Lots to think over including price. 360's are very reliable today (heck I've had mine since 05' with no problems) and they can be had at a decent price. PS3's also are extremely reliable (although my brothers blue ray drive already broke once and the fans stopped working thankfully he got the extended warranty) and what you should choose a system on is the games and content that will interest you, as reliability is not really an issue anymore.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    As far as the failure rate, just buy an extended protection plan from whomever you get the machine from. That way, you're covered by them and should have a replacement right away. That should help calm the nerves, so to speak. I just think that the reward outweighs the risks with the 360.
    Agreed. It's the only machine I ever bought and exercised a replacement warranty for. Not only do you get a replacement right away, you can get the newest assembly line run the store has available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deltoid Steep
    PSN
    Deltoid-Steep

Thanks to the hardwares failure rate i am also worried every time i turn my 360 on, but i've had the system for over a year and so far so good. While its true that most titles are available on both it and the ps3 i find that i buy most for the 360. part of the reason is that achievements are alot of fun. sure the ps3 has trophies but my experience with them so far is that they are less inspired and not as satisfying to unlock. also, the controller is far superior. the sixaxis is a piece of junk. the dualshock 3, while an improvement, still feels fragile and has a built in battery pack which doesnt offer the battery life that the 360 controller does. finally theres xbox live, which is just soooo much better than psn. sure you have to pay 60 bucks a year, but thats what, 5 bucks a month, and the experience is worth it. so far, the 360 also has better exclusives, in my opinion. what it comes down to, i guess, is the experience you expect. if youre going to be playing alot online, and enjoy racking up achievements go for the 360 but if you dont care about those things and want a slightly more dependable piece of hardware, in terms of the console itself (the controllers really do suck) i would go for the ps3.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    Agreed. It's the only machine I ever bought and exercised a replacement warranty for. Not only do you get a replacement right away, you can get the newest assembly line run the store has available.
    ...... I just do not understand how can you people can feel good with the Xbox 360's warranty.

I really don't like the original or 360 xbox, therefore i cannot experience the feeling of getting the Red Rings of Dead ... but i sure will be very pissed off, angry ande very dissapointed; sure, you get a new console, but what about your settings, file saves .. aren't they lost ¿?¿

I could not recommend a console that can and will fail, the console has great options and LIVE is great, but i just could not buy it for its faulty design.

Buy a Ps3
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I'd go 360. I own both and thus far the 360 has way more games and will likely to continue this way. PS3 is a better built better looking system and does have bluray (and you can run linux which is neat) however it lacks games, online play is not as good as on 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I was pretty close to buying a 360 this time last year, that is until I started reading the complaints and they seemed to get worse as the time went on. I was pretty much anti-PS3 at the time and felt that blu ray was a complete waste, well something happened and I found myself owning a PS3 on Christmas.

I'm also not as big of a gamer as I used to be, so the small selection of games (when compared to XBOX) isn't that big of a deal for me, since I tend to complete 1 out of 5 games I own anyway. So I would recommend the PS3 to you, it's almost worry free and it's price is a lot easier on the wallet now.
    Last edited by exit; 11-25-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you like playing online then get a 360, it's that simple.

It sounds like you're going to be too worried about your system failing to enjoy it, though, so you might as well get a ps3. Still, my system just red-lighted this weekend but I would still get another before the ps3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    If you like playing online then get a 360, it's that simple.

It sounds like you're going to be too worried about your system failing to enjoy it, though, so you might as well get a ps3. Still, my system just red-lighted this weekend but I would still get another before the ps3.
    you say this like the ps3 does not have online capability :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
    you say this like the ps3 does not have online capability :P
    Oh it does, there's just nobody to play with