Thread: Wells G monitor help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wells G monitor help!

I have a wells gardener monitor model 25k7193. I have my computer hooked up to it and the arcadevga card hooked up to it with the drivers installed. The screen looked kinda crappy until I loaded the drivers onto it, but now its pretty nice.

My problems. The monitor looks great when the games are on, but when the windows screen is up, its kinda fuzzy and stuff. Also, I cant seem to adjust the width on the screen. I can adjust the height and stuff and squash it height wise, but NOT width wise. I cant get the whole windows screen to be on my monitor all at once.

Whats the problem?? Thanks
    Always looking to expand my Atari collection, Odyssey and etc. ESPECIALLY looking to add to my Masters of the Universe Collection See here:http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/Igorr/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure about that model number EXACTLY, but sounds like a standard k7000. If that's the case, then you have an adjustment board with 6 white pots on it. Vertical size, V-Hold, Brightness, Contrast, etc.

When you go from your games to your Windows screen (I am VERY unfamiliar with this whole setup, I may be reaching here), you are more than likely changing your screen resolution, which is why it looks crappy in Windows, but really nice when the games are playing.

To adjust the screen width, there is a special coil on the monitor board that controls the screen width. It requires a special tool to adjust it, and you probably wouldn't be able to anyways (most of them are frozen up by now, due to age). It looks like an Allen wrench would work to adjust the slug inside the coil (It sits behind the flyback near the big white resistor mounted on the outside of the heat sink). It won't. You'll end up breaking the width coil, and they are NOT available anymore. So, basically at that point, you're stuck. My advice, deal with the width the way it is, it's not worth the pain of trying to adjust it. If it is really a big concern, get a newer monitor that has a width adjustment either on the remote adjustment board, or through on-screen menus. Of course, this is all assuming you have the monitor I am thinking of, I could be way off base here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try lowering your resolution. These screens aren't meant to display a high res.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have arcadevga running on my mame cab, and yes, windows does look like crap. I just think that's how it is, like was mentioned above, arcade monitors are not high resolution enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool. I will try to lower it to see how it works. I will also try to find the coil on the monitor that adjusts the width just to see if its there and IF it can be moved.

shawnbo42: Do you know WHAT tool it takes? If I could just try it a bit to see if it would move, that would be cool. If it is frozen I wont screw with it too much.
    Always looking to expand my Atari collection, Odyssey and etc. ESPECIALLY looking to add to my Masters of the Universe Collection See here:http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/Igorr/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It uses a non-conductive, non-magnetic (i.e. plastic) adjustment tool. Usually you can get a set from a local electronics shop, or possibly a tv repair shop if you have one handy. It's probably not worth your money to get the tools you need to try for a one-time application. I'd say (from experience) just leave it as it is. But, if you want to give it a go, that's probsbly your best shot at finding those tools. That, and online of course.