Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreamcast Utopia boot disc

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dreamcast Utopia boot disc

Anyone know where or how to get one of these discs?? I want to play import games on my DC, and I need one of these discs right?? Or do I need a mod chip?? I am totally new to modifying game systems--so don't laugh at me please!!! Thanks in advance for everyones help!!
    E.---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Dreamcast Utopia boot disc

Quote Originally Posted by Evil E
    Anyone know where or how to get one of these discs?? I want to play import games on my DC, and I need one of these discs right?? Or do I need a mod chip?? I am totally new to modifying game systems--so don't laugh at me please!!! Thanks in advance for everyones help!!
    E.---
    NO worries. A disc is on its way my friend

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the same question... I gather the Utopia discs are an underground phenomenon, due to various regulations and such. I was just given a dreamcast and about 40 non-self-booting games, any ideas?
    Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you can buy them at gamestop or eb -- i got mine at a gamestop - never used it though also saw it at EB

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wicked.
    Thanks a million

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1
    you can buy them at gamestop or eb -- i got mine at a gamestop - never used it though also saw it at EB
    Buy them at gamestop?!?! When did this start happening?
    The only play I know that had them was the p2p programs lol

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys need to learn how to use google. I believe dcemu.co.uk has a shit ton of boot discs. It all works the same.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny. I once asked about an external hardware mod for Playstation (The kind that plugs in the back of certain models) for imports at a GameStop and the guy said directly to me "Goodbye." and I asked why and he said "We don't deal in mods." So I just ordered one from a Canadian game store site.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

I think I still have one of those action replays for the psx, good times with backups and imports. First time I played x-men vs. street fighter was on the psx jap. import.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sorry, but Gamestop and EBWorld do NOT sell Dreamcast Utopic CDs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyRuxpin
    Funny. I once asked about an external hardware mod for Playstation (The kind that plugs in the back of certain models) for imports at a GameStop and the guy said directly to me "Goodbye." and I asked why and he said "We don't deal in mods." So I just ordered one from a Canadian game store site.
    well the gamestop near me sold those things aswell as the boot disk for DC--

they didnt sel chips but they sold the game enhancers (plug in moduals) for the psx and the DC disk

and i saw the same disk at EB also -- gamestop where i got mine sold them for 10$ and the EB had them for 15$ -- they were in all the stores i went to around here -- that was the time when all the stores were trying to dump thier DC stuff

thats where i got mine - i swear

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyRuxpin
    well the gamestop near me sold those things aswell as the boot disk for DC--

they didnt sel chips but they sold the game enhancers (plug in moduals) for the psx and the DC disk

and i saw the same disk at EB also -- gamestop where i got mine sold them for 10$ and the EB had them for 15$ -- they were in all the stores i went to around here -- that was the time when all the stores were trying to dump thier DC stuff

thats where i got mine - i swear
    First off, Gamestop & EB were infact selling these. Maybe they were not the "Utopia" variety specifically, but when Shenmue II came out, many EBs & GS locations were selling it with an 'import enabler' disk of some sort so that US gamers could play it.

Also, in regards to the store clerk simply saying "Goodbye" to you when you asked about MODing stuff - game store clerks really need to F***ing realize that a lot of consumers do not really know what is and what is not legal. If they see a Flash cart for GBA, a lot of people will simply assume that Nintendo makes it since it's for the GBA. Same thing with external mods. It's all about respecting your consumer. I get a little worked up over this (obviously) b/c I used to work at an EB and (even though it was only my part time job during college) I took a lot of dignity in educating consumers on this and that. It ticks me off to no end when I go into a game store and see sales staff that don't care or have no idea what they are talking about. I don't mean to say that every cash-register jockey needs to know how to get the kidden key in the kidden temple in whatever game, but if they are working in a game store, they should care about games. and not give you the proverbial finger when you ask for a Dreamcast boot disk. - sorry didn't mean to thread jack.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe EB and GameStop used to sell DC-X, which allows you to play any region's DC games on any region's DC system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I found the iso for the Utopia disc on a dc mod/emu site... im pretty sure the guys that developed the Utopia disc never ment for it to cost money? It looked pretty homebrew.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fpbrush
    I found the iso for the Utopia disc on a dc mod/emu site... im pretty sure the guys that developed the Utopia disc never ment for it to cost money? It looked pretty homebrew.
    I paid Zektor $5 for mine--but that was before I knew about downloading them myself for free!!! He saw me coming, and I don't blame him!!
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Patrol
    You guys need to learn how to use google. I believe dcemu.co.uk has a shit ton of boot discs. It all works the same.
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by fpbrush
    Indeed, I think everyone needs some clarification from someone that knows the scene. (surprised goatdan hasn't popped into this thread yet)

The Utopia boot disc, both versions 1.1 and 1.3 are redily available on many homebrew sites as a free download, either as a discjuggler or nero image. You just download it and burn the file with its noted program. Additionally for imports you can use the GameShark CDX demo, again, that you can find on many homebrew DC sites as a free downloadable image - you load it up, and swap in your import.

The Utopia boot disc (just as the non-selfbootable backups that it was designed to allow to run) was NEVER designed to be sold. This goes double since it's an all in one prebuilt file that you simply download, burn, and your done.

EB and Gamestop never sold the Utopia Boot Disc, they sold DC-X for a short amount of time. DC-X is the "professional retail" boot disc solution for playing imports and honestly it's a nice package. However with a combination of the Utopia boot disc and GameShark CDX demo disc you really don't need one.

Just the same most DC projects have been selfbooting for years now so the Utopia Boot Disc has fallen into the shadows as for current stuff (Beats of Rage, emulators, etc.) it isn't needed.

Look here...
    http://www.megagames.com/dc/dc_utils_bootcd.shtml

...Meseta is the sincerest form of flattery.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wowser.

Thanks for all the comments, y'all... this has been really informative... I knew virtually nothing of boot discs and swaps and the amazing homebrew culture before I found this site. Amaing stuff. You guys are great!

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

You can also often use various DC gamesharks to boot stuff in a pinch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer
    You can also often use various DC gamesharks to boot stuff in a pinch.
    Such as the GameShark CDX downloadable demo that I mentioned and linked to three posts up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quick summary:

DC-X is the best choice - as far as I'm aware there's nothing it doesn't play, and it can also force PAL games into 60Hz if they didn't already include the option.

Gameshark/CD-X/Utopia 1.2+ - OK, but not quite 100% compatibilty. You may struggle with Shenmue II or Rez, to name a couple.

Utopia 1.1 - OK with earlier games, but won't boot a lot of later titles.