Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Just 3? Tough choice...

Sonic 2, Mega Drive

FFVII, PS1

Soul Calibur, Dreamcast

In each case these were the first games for each system that really made me go 'holy shit god yes this rocks', and as these are my favoruite 3 systems of all time, it's a simple enough step from there to here.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double Dragon II. The 1st video game I ever loved. This may be due to the fact that it was the 1st video game I could beat- without the aid of the Game Genie.

Goldeneye. Although I remember playing Wolfenstein and Doom at an earlier age, they were merely brief trysts with the FPS genre. Mainly because as a kid, I didn't own a PC, so my gaming options were pretty console-centric. Then one day I picked up Goldeneye for my N64. Holy shit, did I find a love in first person shooters.

Morrowind. Up until this point, I thought I knew what an RPG was. Either a text intensive game with underwhelming graphics, or the title started with: "Final Fantasy" and ended in a Roman numeral. Three cheers for open ended gameplay and truckloads of character customization options! This is an RPG in the truest form, and it really raised my expectations for the genre.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 11-28-2008 at 08:18 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Pacman-It gets equal love from boys and girls.

Goldeneye 64- I have great memories of playing this game. When this game came out, we had a 4 player match running at least 8 hours a day for almost a year straight.

CounterStrike- I spent many a sleepless night helping those helpless hostages escape. We had semi-annual weekend lan parties for years. Up to 80 of us packing into a huge "moose lodge" for 3 days of sleepless fun. Plus, since it was a private building, the bar stayed open for 3 days straight. Not much beats a 3 day drunken CS lan party. I loved this game so much I even made a map witha ton of hidden goodies: de_gexaplex

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Crash Team Racing PS1
    Smash TV NES
    Jet Grind Radio DC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Phantasy Star Online Version 2 (Dreamcast): I've put a lot of time into this game over the 2 years I've owned it. Though the gameplay looks shallow, It manages to draw me in somehow, and I find myself playing for hours. Though I've been playing PSO: Blue Burst a lot more lately, Version 2 is still special to me.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Genesis): This is it; what broke me of being a Nintendo fanboy, realizing that it's entirely possible for a non-Nintendo system to have worthwhile games. It had great graphics, it was fast, had almost no slowdown, and to top all that off, it was fun as hell. I still get it out to do a full playthrough ever so often (Always starting with Tails, who is my favorite character)

Diddy Kong Racing (N64): Though it was Mario Kart that made me want an N64, DKR was a lot more special to me. It had a great single-player mode, memorable characters, a great soundtrack...this is what led to me becoming a gamer. I still own my original copy, which I've had for nearly 11 years now (I asked for it for Christmas in 1997, but didn't get it until sometime in January 1998). Damn I love this game...

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Galaga (Arcade)
    Burgertime (INTV)
    SMB (NES)

Those are the games I enjoy playing...no matter what.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

Mega Bomberman (Genesis)- Due to this was the 1st video game I played. Also the video game I tought myself how to play, despite my brother refused to teach me.

Hitman (Series) PS2

Metal Gear (Series)
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Rather than going with my favorite games, I'm picking games that likely had the biggest influence on me as a gamer, each linked to the next:

Super Mario Bros. - Stereotypical, sure, but Super Mario Bros. made me fall in love with video games. No need to even go into how it affected the industry.

Donkey Kong Country - I bought a SNES to recapture memories of gaming past. I had gone without any video games in my life for at least a few years, and with Super Mario All-Stars, I had my opportunity to play those beloved Mario classics all over again. However, Donkey Kong Country made me start caring about the future of gaming. Sure, I fell for the hype hook, line, and sinker, but it didn't matter because I loved the game. And I have the series as a whole to thank for ultimately getting me into video game magazines, which led to me becoming an informed gamer, rather than having absolutely no clue about what upcoming releases there were.

Chrono Trigger - And through that magazine reading, I couldn't fathom how people thought any game out at the time was more awesome than Donkey Kong Country 2, so purely on it being ranked above DKC2, I bought Chrono Trigger, and I found my passion for RPGs. I did have a small amount of familiarity with Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy, but Chrono Trigger sealed the deal and changed my gaming habits to this day. Even now, my favorite genres are platformers and RPGs, and it's no surprise looking at what dominated my childhood.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Snoopy and the Red Baron, for the 2600. Although my first game ever was Missile Command, it was the Snoopy game that showed me how satisfying it is to dedicate yourself to a game.

Metroid, for the NES. Never played it back then, sadly. Picked it up on an emulator only 2 years ago ("Aw, let's see what is this Metroid thing all about") and instantly fell in love with the whole series. My favorite one is Super Metroid, but without the first one, I wouldn't even bother to look out for it.

Rock'n'Roll Racing. Just because it's one of the coolest games EVER. When I was a teenager, me and my brother hosted "Rock'n'Roll Racing Nights" at my place; we and our friends would make a ton of pasta and play all night long, turning off the music and putting our very own soundtrack on the stereo - which, of course, included the original verions of the songs. Nice memories...
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario Bros.
    Xevious
    Mr DO!
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Insert Coin (Level 0) Drifter 2000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll keep this list pre 2000 (so my beloved Deus Ex won't count). Hard to choose just three but here are the ones that best describe the fond days of my youth.

Mega Man 4 - This game started a love affair that continues to this day. I'll never forget going to a video store that was going out of business and selling off all their old stock. My father managed to grab Bomberman and Captain Skyhawk but I had my eyes on Mega Man 4. Being a kid I grabbed it because the shots on the back of the box looked cool. Went home and booted it up before going to bed (played Bright Man's stage) and an obsession was born. I couldn't beat any of the Robot Masters for years but I bought every Mega Man game I could find.

Doom - Although I first played this on the SNES it still captured my imagination. As a young child in the 90's Doom was all the rage...it was everywhere. I'd played Wolfenstein 3D before but Doom was a whole new level of awesome. Amazing graphics, blood, guts, nail biting gameplay where all you had to really think about was grabbing a certain color key or hitting a switch. THIS is what first person shooting is all about. I still play the game at least once a year and love it to death. Doom harkens back to a simplier time when just being a mass murderer was enough to make a game a blockbuster.

Super Mario Brothers - This was a tough one to decide. Super Mario World is my overall favorite Mario game...but my love of gaming started with the original. Although I grew up with the SNES more than the NES this is where it all started. Getting a NES from a local pawn shop, plugging it in and hearing the legendary Level 1 World 1 music kick in still gives me chills. I remember watching my dad play through the first tree top level and getting so worked up that I actually vomited all over the floor. This old classic still holds up even today.

There's a lot more I could have listed but I tried to diversify as much as possible.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Phantasy Star IV - This was the first RPG I ever played. I immediately fell in love with the game, the series, and the genre. My first taste of it was an article in Sega Visions. After that it topped my birthday list. I've put more hours into that game than pretty much any other RPG I've ever played...and I've been through Xenogears several times!

Mortal Kombat - Not because it was a stellar game, mechanically speaking, but because it was my gateway drug into the fighter genre. After this bad boy, I couldn't get enough. Street Fighter, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, King of Fighters....and eventually SoulCalibur. Nowadays I still pick up MK games for the fun and amusement, but I'm always working on expanding my fighter collection.

Heroes of Might & Magic III - Even though HoMMII was the first one I'd played, this is the one that took over my life. I've played innumerable hot seat and online games with friends over the years. Even now I'll get together with some buddies from college and play a game or two. The rest of the series is fun and amusing, but HoMMIII is still my preferred iteration of the series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Pong, need I say more?
    Space Invaders, need I say more?
    Pac-Man, need I say more?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doom, Street Fighter 2, Double Dragon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Super Smash Bros. Melee
    Perfect Dark
    Super Mario Bros 3
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mystical Ninja series

The Neverhood

Mega Man series
    Tea is for terrorists-Leo Laporte

Klingons Invented Saran Wrap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    modest9797

Quote Originally Posted by Atari 5200 View Post
    Mystical Ninja series

The Neverhood

Mega Man series
    Thats like 200 games.
    Xbox Live : modest9797
    Games I Want
    PS1: 2% PS2: 0%
    Xbox: 42% GC: 18%

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by modest9797 View Post
    Thats like 200 games.
    It's also worth noting that none are on the 5200.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Majora's Mask: I am embarrassed to say it, but this game made me cry when I beat it (I was like..12 okay?). The mask salesman, the skull kid, the sorrow and despair... It is pure art and it still brings back memories today. Same with OoT, but not to the same extent.

PSO (GC): I never even played it online, just multiplayer with a friend. It is slow and fantastic to just chill out to. If they every make a real PSO sequel (not PSU), I will be the first to sign up.

Steel Empire (Genesis): I think this is the first game I played. This or Sonic 2, but I remember playing for hours and trying to beat it over and over again. I don't know if I ever did, even to this day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just 3? Thats like only picking one Diva or Knockout as my favorite. Anyway, onto the list:

Syphon Filter(PS): This game showed me that not only could a game be good despite having a wacky unorthodox name, but that it could be far better than the game it was constantly compared to(MGS).

Star Wars: Knight of The Old Republic(Xbox): Who knew that rpg's could actually be fun or good. I certainly didn't until I gave this one a try. And because of it I will never look at rpg's or Star Wars games the same again.

Halo(Xbox): This is arguably the greatest fps series of all time and it all started right here. At first I hated the controls but by the third mission I was fragging like a pro. And the story and driving sequences were just as good as the rest of the game.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.