Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 Games That You're Thankful For

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Mario Bros. - Pure absolute genius, and the inspiration for many other great games.
    Last Blade - SNK > Capcom.
    Zelda: OoT - Along with Skies of Arcadia, it's the best adventure I've ever had.

Insert Coin (Level 0) allyourbase's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Conquest of the Crystal Palace (NES)---Pound for pound one of the most fun i've had with an NES game, no matter how under-rated. Whenever I get bored, this is the one i grab and get happy with.

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)---Sure, this was the fifth or sixth game i had ever played for the NES- but it was the first game that made me stop, stare and fall completely in love with a system.

Advanced Wars (GBA)---Hand-held goodness for hours. I'm thankful for this game when zoning out on the public bus, avoiding my roommate, etc.

More than anything, Im thankful for games in general. Thankful that I live in a country that I have enough comfort and money to relax from my daily routine into a hobby that I love.
    Happy Thanksgiving DP!
    Earning XP since 1986
    USA SNES game count- 94
    USA NES game count- 119
    "Punch him in the mouth to stun him... Then throw your Poke'ball!" -Allyourbase

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Donkey Kong Country
    Street Fighter II
    Super Mario Kart

The three games that got me hooked on videogames as a kid. Probably the reason I play games today.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

and now for the weird one's list... I gotta go to four though because two were at the same time and were very huge on My gaming preferences...

The first system I ever got, like many, was an Atari 2600. Now I was 4, and had played SMB on the NES (I'm not that old ) but we weren't the richest family on the block, so to speak. Still, on my 5th birthday mom scraped together $50 to buy someone's 2600 collection. Many games were on it but the one I played the most, hands down was Crystal Castles. Hell, the local Pizza Hut had a CC machine in it, and since you had to go in to get your Book It! Rewards, I usually got a couple bucks in quarters to play the arcade version.

Book It! Inspiring kids to read books so they can play arcade machines. Wooo! The pizza sucked, so I gave it to my mom. Ha.

Then, two games - one arcade, one home. I had a genesis but my best friend in middle school had a snes. When his family went on a month long vacation my mom and I housesit - which was two houses down from an arcade. So for that month borne my love for fighters and rpgs. Sure Street Fighter 2: CE was king around here but that machine was always clogged up with people. I went for the much harder game with the cutie who we had only just learned was a woman. That's right - Art of Fighting 2 with King, a fighter I've been playing as since 1993. 15 years, baby.

Then of course was the snes at the house - and Final Fantasy II. Although CT, FF3/6 and Phantasy Star IV are more loved in my pantheon, FF2 was the one that got me into it, and for that I'll be thankful.

Finally, one I can truly be thankful for. I was having hard times, my girlfriend of four years decided it was over and moved out. I was stuck in a large bedroom now sparse save for a TV, a Dresser and a bed. Pretty depressing times and admittedly the drink hit me pretty hard and good. (A few old-timers here might remember my lamenting back in the day - and for those that listened and helped I thank you all too. )

One game kept me looking on the brighter side, and kind of glued my sanity together during those rough months. The ex and I are now actually really close friends, play WoW together, and if her now-fiancee doesn't mind hopefully I'm going to the wedding! lol. All for the best as they say. But if it weren't for the quirky soundtrack and addictive gameplay of Katamari Damacy I don't know where my head would be at today.

Those are games I'm thankful for. They may not top a favorites list, but they are good nonetheless and formed the eccentric gamer before you today. *curtseys*
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Astrosmash DWB

Astrosmash (Intellivision) - My first game system was my dad's Intellivision. When he got it out to give to me, this was the first game we played.

Super Mario Bros. (NES) - This was the game that really first captured my imagination as a kid.

Final Fantasy III (6j, or whatever you want to call it) (SNES) - This is the first game that really drew me in purely by the storyline. Though they made good games before and since, I'd still rank this, Chrono Trigger, FFVII and FF Tactics as the four best Square ever produced.
    Dan B.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zombies Ate my Neighbors.

Dragon Warrior

Donkey Kong Country 2

Whenever I mill it over in my head, these are the games define what I spent most of my time playing when I was younger. Additionally, these games definitely sculpted my sense of humor more than anything.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Great Masterpiece. I love it. Pretty much everything about it good.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: A game that hardly gets boring each time I play it. Very much good in all aspects.

Super Mario Bros. 3: The Mario game that is just right. Complete from beginning to end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ack - 3?

1) Baldur's Gate 2 (PC) - restoring my faith gaming, I played this awesome RPG after getting ever more fucked off with JRPG's lack of, well, actual role playing.

2) Blade Runner (PC) - I was torn between this and Under a Killing Moon, but ultimately this is the first truely 'adult' game that I played and showed that there was more to life than collecting rings.

3) Sonic the Hedgehog (MD) - Because collecting rings is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Halo(Xbox): This is arguably the greatest fps series of all time and it all started right here..
    DP's Most Sarcastic Mofo
    ?
    Last edited by Daltone; 11-30-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

New Super Mario Bros. (I finally got a DS--had to pick up the new Mario version--I'm a sucker for themed game systems)

Mr. Do! for the SNES (great port of my favorite arcade game, includes two-player battle mode)

Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection for the Wii (uncanny sensation of playing real pinball, thanks to excellent programming and brilliant use of the Wii remote)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just 3? Thats like only picking one Diva or Halo(Xbox): This is arguably the greatest fps series of all time and it all started right here. At first I hated the controls but by the third mission I was fragging like a pro. And the story and driving sequences were just as good as the rest of the game.
    I don't usually like first-person shooters (I far prefer third-person 3D action games, like God of War, Maximo, and Resident Evil 4), but I thoroughly enjoy playing Halo (I got the game when I picked up the Halo Edition of the Xbox--told ya I was a sucker for themed systems).