Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox 360 "Jasper" boards finally hit stores

http://kotaku.com/5099691/jasper-360...hit-the-market

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=668038

This guy still hasn't cracked it open, but everyone seems to agree that this one is the real deal.

For the uninitiated, "Jasper" is the new Xbox 360 build with the 65nm GPU that runs cooler and quieter and is speculated to reduce RRoD failures.

(EDIT here's a new thread where he's opened it and confirmed that it's a Jasper. There's even a sticker on the board that says "Jasper 1weeks run".)
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=668104
    Last edited by XYXZYZ; 11-28-2008 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sadly, the 360 that I (finally) picked up today was not a Jasper. Oh well.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The most interesting comment from the Kotaku article...

Quote Originally Posted by bkchurch View Post
    It's funny because people keep thinking these chip revisions are going to make the hardware more stable and they're not. Their sole purpose is to save Microsoft money in production costs. Smaller chipsets=fewer materials=more $$$ is MS's pocket.

The amount of heat the CPU and GPU produce are the least of your troubles folks, there many more issues with the 360's design and they're all far more severe. Let's start with the thermal paste. For those unfamiliar, thermal paste is what's used to transfer heat between the GPU and CPU to their respective heatsinks. The thermal paste that MS uses in the 360 is cheap crap that bakes into cement after a few hundred hours of use. This issue could be easily fixed if MS would just use a more effective paste like Arctic Silver 5 but that would drive production costs up ever so slightly and we can't have that.

Next problem: They mounted the disc drive on the GPU heatsink. Seriously MS? What the hell? That is the worst design idea ever, the heatsink's purpose is to pull heat off the GPU so a fan can blow air over it which will whisk it away out of the system. The worst thing you could do there is mount one of the hottest running components in the system directly on top of that. You're just asking to create a hotspot.
    Problem 3: Air flow. Worst designed system for airflow ever. There are two primary intake fans on the 360. One is covered up by the harddrive. The other can't pull air in if the system is standing vertically. If you don't lay the system flat it has to rely on the incredibly tiny vents on the side of the system to pull all the air into the system. Beyond that the interior of the system does not allow for optimal airflow. It's awful. Compare the guts of a PS3 and a 360 if you ever get the chance (Google). The PS3's innards look like they were well planned out and intelligently placed. The 360 is a clusterfuck that looks like MS just schlepped all the components in and called it good.

Final problem, and by far the worst: The X-Clamps. Why these are still present I don't know. Essentially for those who don't know the X-Clamps are two X shaped clamps on the bottom of the motherboard that hold the heatsinks in place. Their fatal flaw? They warp under intense heat. That warping bends the motherboard. That bending breaks solder connections. The breaking produces the RRoD. These clamps could easily be replaced with screws, washers, and nuts. In fact many console modders have done just that and found in combination with an application of Artic Silver 5 to the CPU and GPU it fixed a red ringed console. So why these are still in use I don't know. What I do know is they are the 360's main problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 360, it is fantastic. But it's a terribly designed piece of hardware and it's going to take a hell of a lot more than a chipset revision to fix it; it's going to take a complete design overhaul on the level of the PS2 to the PS2 Slim.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad these weren't available in time for the Black Friday deals.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    The most interesting comment from the Kotaku article...
    Interesting only in that it comes from someone who likes to think he knows what he's talking about but doesn't really quite get it. Anyone who touts Artic Silver 5 these days is years behind the times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kingpong View Post
    Interesting only in that it comes from someone who likes to think he knows what he's talking about but doesn't really quite get it. Anyone who touts Artic Silver 5 these days is years behind the times.
    Ha, very true. IC Diamond 7 FTW.

The underlying design flaws are valid points, but a cooler running GPU can't hurt anything.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I would like to get a new 360 since mine has RROD once and now has disc drive issues. Disc repair would be 100 and I need a bigger HD for downloads thats another 100. Might as well buy a new system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Are broken solder connections due to warping of the motherboard really the most common causes of RRoDs?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Are broken solder connections due to warping of the motherboard really the most common causes of RRoDs?
    I haven't heard of anything else, maybe the heat is damaging the processor itself?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Though Arctic Silver 5 is still an evolutionary leap beyond what they're currently using.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've used Arctic Silver 5 on my three computer builds, and I've never had any problems with the CPU. Stock heatsinks on all of them. SLI 8800 GTs + no fans in my current build. No overheating problems, ever.

Arctic Silver 5 used to be the name du jour, so it's not really surprising that he dropped it. Not everyone keeps up with what thermal compound is #1 in PC building. Arctic Silver 5 would be more than sufficient.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Jasper board and Its man. date is Sept. 08 so these should have been available on black friday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMurf View Post
    I have a Jasper board and Its man. date is Sept. 08 so these should have been available on black friday
    What's the lot #? I've read that 843X can be Falcons or Jaspers, but I saw one guy who had lot # 849, which was also a Jasper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    I would like to get a new 360 since mine has RROD once and now has disc drive issues. Disc repair would be 100 and I need a bigger HD for downloads thats another 100. Might as well buy a new system
    $100 to repair a $10 part is highway robbery.
    Just force a RRoD and get a replacement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Just force a RRoD and get a replacement.
    Forcing a RRoD is unnecessary. To those who haven't figured it out yet, let me clarify...

YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE RROD WHEN CALLING MICROSOFT FOR REPAIR ISSUES. Disc drive shot? RRoD. Strange rattling noise? RRoD. Video issues? RRoD.

MS doesn't check what the problem is. If you call and claim your 360 has the RRoD, they will replace it no questions asked. When your unit arrives in TX, all they do is receive your 360 and immediately ship out a refurbished unit. It wasn't always like this, but in the last year or so I think they just went into triage mode. Serves them right IMO.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That makes sense. RRoD can also be an intermittent problem, so testing it doesn't necessarily prove that the problem isn't real.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the new Jasper boards reduce the RROD or have little effect?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    So the new Jasper boards reduce the RROD or have little effect?
    We don't really know yet. As previously stated, RRoD failures are due to the GPU overheating, and the new GPU in the Jaspers run much cooler; read the testimonials in the thread linked in the first post. But only time will tell if the RRoD issue is actually solved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    We don't really know yet. As previously stated, RRoD failures are due to the GPU overheating, and the new GPU in the Jaspers run much cooler; read the testimonials in the thread linked in the first post. But only time will tell if the RRoD issue is actually solved.
    So, I guess it's not the solder connections breaking due to warping, then.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)