Thread: Two Sega 32x unreleased Prototypes for sale

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Two Sega 32x unreleased Prototypes for sale

Greetings all...

My pride-and-joy complete 32x collection is no more. Joe bought DarXide and some other dude bought Spiderman.

I am all the other games released for the 32x, including the PAL soccer game and the Japan-only Romance of the 3 Kingdomes 4, all complete in boxes.

The jewels are two proto boards bought from Sean Kelly for "X-Men" and "Virtual Hamster". Neither game is complete but the first two levels of X-Men seem to be finished and all the basics of Virtual Hamster are in place. I mounted the boards in standard 32x cases and made labels and box covers for both of them... the cart and front box artwork is from some prototype slides obtained directly from Sega. The back covers are custom jobs designed to emulate the style of the normal 32x releases with text and screen shots.

X-Men is $500, Hamster is $400. Both for $800. Pics below.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Man those are puuurdy. Good luck with the sale!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn View Post
    Man those are puuurdy. Good luck with the sale!
    Thanks! Keep in mind the pictures are fuzzy... the box art and carts are much sharper.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I wish I had the money for Virtual Hamster. I've heard about that one for ages, but I have no idea what the gameplay is like. So, from the expert here, how is the game? What's the premise, and do you think it would have done well if it were released?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Ah, if only I had $400...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I wish I had the money for Virtual Hamster. I've heard about that one for ages, but I have no idea what the gameplay is like. So, from the expert here, how is the game? What's the premise, and do you think it would have done well if it were released?
    I doubt any game would have done well by the time this game was ready for release but I'd bet on X-Men as being the better seller.

In Virtua Hamster, you play as a hamster in one of those cages that has all the pipes leading to other sections of cage. It seems there was some racing involved, maybe a bit like S.T.U.N. Runner from the arcades (true polygons, not the pseudo 3-D scaling trickery from the Lynx game). The basic engine is in place and you can run your hamster around but the opponents just sit there.

X-Men is much more facinating... it's a fighting side-scroller except the world is 3-D but the camera is set with a standard side view like a 2-D game. You can move far into the background and move around objects. It's a bit like Hulk on the PS1 or Saturn if you ever played that. One of the most impressive 32x games I know of... lots of texture-mapped polygons and 3-D. The first level seems totally complete with enemies you can kill, collision detection, traps, etc. You can reach the end of the level and go to level two. Level 2 is less complete but still finishable. The 3rd level starts off really cool and is VERY colourful but once you past a certain point the games crashes and just displays lines after line of code.