Thread: Solved! - Snes ac adapter problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Solved! - Snes ac adapter problem

I just received a model 2 Snes unit in the mail with an ac adapter that appeared to be DOA. I checked the ratings, which were fine, but the system just sat there dead when "powered on".

I had a spare snes ac adapter (with the proper ratings) that got the system up and running just fine. So, I assumed the adapter that came with the system was just dead.

However, upon further testing, I found that if I turned on the system with my own adapter first, then the one I thought was DOA will function when plugged into the snes...and will continue to power it up even if turned on and off for a few hours.

So:

- If I turn on the system with the mailed adapter, nothing happens.

- If I turn on the system with an adapter that is known to work properly, then turn it off and disconnect the working adapter and connect the mailed "doa" adapter - the mailed "doa" adapter then works...and will work for a few hours.

Is this just a case of a dying adapter that will temporarily work once the system has some residue juice or something?

Any thoughts are appreciated as I had not come across something like this before. Thanks!
    Last edited by Rai; 12-04-2008 at 08:38 AM. Reason: My problem was solved. Wanted to update.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Did you try jiggling the cord of the mailed adapter? It may have a short in the cord that causes it to sometimes work, and other times not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    Did you try jiggling the cord of the mailed adapter? It may have a short in the cord that causes it to sometimes work, and other times not.
    9 times out of 10 that is the problem, ive had a few snes AC adapters like that.
    meow :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bingo. Both of you were correct. Thanks

With the "doa" adapter plugged in and the system powered on (and actually working) I gently started moving around the wire of the adapter. Sure enough, when I moved around the wire at the outlet end it caused the system to either A.) reset itself, or B.) totally lose power and just give me a black screen.

That solves that problem. Thanks again!