Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does replacing the battery in carts devalue them?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Does replacing the battery in carts devalue them?

I have a SNES Chrono Trigger and the battery died. Now do you think it would effect the value of the cart if the battery is replaced or it doesn't matter? I guess the only way a person would know is if they opened it up. Would you buy a copy of a "valuable" game such as an Earthbound or Chrono Trigger knowing the battery has been replaced?

Please let me know.
    YouTube: MasonSushi---- http://www.youtube.com/user/masonsushi
    NintendoAge: MasonSushi
    Licensed NES- Complete....32X Complete
    N64- Complete....Master System (CIB)- 8 left
    TG-16 Hu - Complete

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I can't speak for serious collectors here but for the general public I'd say that you'd get more for a game with a new battery than a dead one. It might also depend on the quality of the repair. if it's <gasp> glued in there instead of soldered, as I've heard of some people doing, and the buyer knew this, then it may not get as much as well. I'm mainly going by my experience selling on Ebay btw.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I would think that a successful battery replacement would actually INCREASE the value of the cartridge, since it should last another 10-20 years after being replaced. I would think that any collector who was opposed to this would be those that had no intention of playing it in the first place (ie, sealed collectors and such).

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect, but I am a gamer first. I don't care about manuals, sleeves, boxes, etc. As long as the game works. If the battery's been replaced I'd be more open to buying it (wish someone would have changed the battery in my Super Metroid...spent 4 hours playing, saved, then discovered it wasn't any good).

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Keeping the original batteries in your games at this point is asking for trouble anyway, of the games that I've been opening up and inspecting/cleaning/whatever and featured a save function I would say 25% of them had leaking or corroded batteries. Leave something like that in there long enough and the acid contaminates the rest of the circuit board, with migrating corrosion.

In five or ten more years people won't be asking if the original battery is intact, (assuming this was ever an issue,) they'll be asking if the game still saves and more importantly, if it still works at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

This is a good question.

Personally, I don't mind having a new aftermarket battery installed in a cartridge, as long as it was done well by someone knowledgeable who would do a good job. If someone was selling it to me, I would like to know up-front. A new battery wouldn't devalue it in my eyes, and while it wouldn't significantly increase the value to me, it would definitely be a plus.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    I would say 25% of them had leaking or corroded batteries. Leave something like that in there long enough and the acid contaminates the rest of the circuit board, with migrating corrosion.

In five or ten more years people won't be asking if the original battery is intact, (assuming this was ever an issue,) they'll be asking if the game still saves and more importantly, if it still works at all.
    Can anyone back up this claim? I have opened 1000's of nes and SNES and I can remember 2 having this problem but it was clear as day they were bad before I opened them due to no label and cart had holes. Has anyone found the batt less than $10 each that have the little feet on them?
    I do agree value with be lower if dead but really no higher or you could tell everyone who buys it "its new".
    If you are ever in St louis stop by my store Trade-N-Games. I have a huge selection of vintage games along with the new systems. Or shop online now www.tradengames.com
    Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trade-N-Games View Post
    Has anyone found the batt less than $10 each that have the little feet on them?
    $10? Are you serious?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...;keywords=2032

Most expensive one there is 1.73 for one, prices drop starting w/ quantity 10.

I've seen a lot more damage from Alkaline & Nicad over Lithium, but that's in arcade hardware. Haven't opened up that many carts w/ batteries. I know that I have many battery-backup cartridges that amazingly still work after 20+ years.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    $10? Are you serious?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...;keywords=2032

Most expensive one there is 1.73 for one, prices drop starting w/ quantity 10.

I've seen a lot more damage from Alkaline & Nicad over Lithium, but that's in arcade hardware. Haven't opened up that many carts w/ batteries. I know that I have many battery-backup cartridges that amazingly still work after 20+ years.
    Thanks- going to place an order for a bunch as soon as I open a few up and see what one I need.
    If you are ever in St louis stop by my store Trade-N-Games. I have a huge selection of vintage games along with the new systems. Or shop online now www.tradengames.com
    Jason

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

ummm...

saving is good.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

As long as the battery is changed carefully and properly, I really wouldn't mind. I would be concerned if the new battery was just taped in place, I wouldn't want it to come loose if I dropped the cartridge.

I'm kind of worried that all of my older games will need new batteries installed, I can't solder well and if I had to get them all replaced it might be expensive. The only carts I've come across with dead batteries so far are copies of Pokemon Silver and Crystal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trade-N-Games View Post
    Can anyone back up this claim? I have opened 1000's of nes and SNES and I can remember 2 having this problem but it was clear as day they were bad before I opened them due to no label and cart had holes. Has anyone found the batt less than $10 each that have the little feet on them?
    I do agree value with be lower if dead but really no higher or you could tell everyone who buys it "its new".
    Battery leakage most often looks like a powdery white residue, and its not necessarily going to immediately spell the death of a cart, but if left alone will only get worse. Here are some pictures of recent 'pulls' of CR2032s from Sega Genesis cartridges. A clean cell, one with moderate corrosion and then an extreme example of leakage.

Stay away from generic brands and knock-offs! They leak even faster than a good brand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would personally rather have a replaced battery if I knew it was replaced by someone with knowledge.

On the subject though, in all my collecting I've never had a game with a dead battery. I still fire up my copies of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, and Final Fantasy with no issues to this day. Are dead batteries really that common now?

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

see, this is why I've always believed that games with battery saves were a bad idea... sure, it's nice to not have to keep track of passwords, but it's even nicer to not have to open up carts to solder new batteries in them... at least Jaguar carts have EEPROMS in them that can be flashed more times than anyone would ever need to do so in order to save their game without a password... so why didn't Sega & Nintendo use this method? too expensive?
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    see, this is why I've always believed that games with battery saves were a bad idea... sure, it's nice to not have to keep track of passwords, but it's even nicer to not have to open up carts to solder new batteries in them... at least Jaguar carts have EEPROMS in them that can be flashed more times than anyone would ever need to do so in order to save their game without a password... so why didn't Sega & Nintendo use this method? too expensive?
    I actually prefer carts with passwords for this exact reason, I think long term when I make purchases.

I assume Nintendo and Sega didn't plan for their games to last this long, they only cared that they last until the next system was released. Most consumers don't think long term, they want to use something now and when something newer is available they get that instead(most people trash their computers when they're "obsolete", same with trashing VHS tapes to upgrade to DVD).

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

I have opened up about 200 carts now, and have not seen any damage from batteries, but now that I have seen that pic of white residue on a battery, I am beginning to see it on 1985-1990 nes carts. over 90% are showing acid-like powder forming around the top solder joint and the bottom edges.

Thanks for the heads up, I own a nice soldering gun. I will buy batteries and begin the replacements.

I feel bad for the people who keep games sealed now...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stay away from generic brands and knock-offs! They leak even faster than a good brand.
    I just bought 20 for 2.99$ from a canadian seller on ebay. You make me worry. Do you know of any good brands at affordable price?

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I just bought 20 for 2.99$ from a canadian seller on ebay. You make me worry. Do you know of any good brands at affordable price?
    ebay for sony cr2032. Regular and lithiums show up. Usually you can pick up lithiums for $1 each or less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FxMercenary View Post
    ebay for sony cr2032. Regular and lithiums show up. Usually you can pick up lithiums for $1 each or less.
    Maxell, Sony and Energizer are good brands, but there are knockoffs of these you have to watch out for. Maxell recently implemented holograms in their packaging to help stand out above the fakes. Stay away from Hong Kong suppliers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red face

I've had to change one battery. It was Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages. I think I took it out of Mario Tennis. Both for gameboy color. Also once I bought Metroid Zero for GBA off Ebay and got it and the battery was dead. I opened this up and I don't unedstand where the battery is? So I went to EB games and bought another one. Then returned the broken one to them. (I don't like them.) I didn't want to pay for return shipping.

I would think one with a new battery would be worth more. Kinda like a NES with a new 72 pin connector. Also it's a service your paying for.
    Thanx RASK1904
    In yo face!