Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does replacing the battery in carts devalue them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd rather have a CPS2 game with a battery that's been changed recently. Even better, I'd have a battery-free Phoenix CPS2 cart. Having Progear or AvP die really isn't a good thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    I would think that a successful battery replacement would actually INCREASE the value of the cartridge
    It seemed to for me... I sold about 3 or 4 Pokemon Golds/Silvers that I placed a new battery in on ebay. In the auction title I stated this too.
    I was flooded with lots of questions and eager buyers instantly. They all sold within a day or two...

Mind you, Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal has a reputation for housing the worst battery in the world.

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have over 20 Pokemon Gold/ Silver and a few Crystal in a box at my store all dead. I will fix them soon now
    If you are ever in St louis stop by my store Trade-N-Games. I have a huge selection of vintage games along with the new systems. Or shop online now www.tradengames.com
    Jason

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

the only battery I've ever had to replace was the one for my Sega Saturn. Those don't seem to last long at all and makes owning a memory cart almost essential to being a Saturn collector. As far as old games go with battery saves, I've got the original Dragon Warrior that I got pretty much when it first came out, and the old saves are still on there. I didn't realize that people were having them die on them so much already. Its also something to look into as far as buying rare/expensive carts with battery saves too, maybe should always ask a seller if the game still saves or not before purchasing. How shitty would it be to get a complete copy of Earthbound for market prices and find out that it doesn't save?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty much all my NES games still work. Super Metroid is the only thing I've had problems with (I've had 2 copies, both dead). Does the more you play/save affect battery life?

Insert Coin (Level 0) AllP0werToSlaves's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    Pretty much all my NES games still work. Super Metroid is the only thing I've had problems with (I've had 2 copies, both dead). Does the more you play/save affect battery life?
    Super Metroid isn't nearly as old as some other titles using batteries to save, namely NES carts. I'm actually quite surprised you have two copies of the game and BOTH don't save. I don't think the amount of play time affects the battery, I'm almost positive things like temperature and storage have more of an effect. Even though your NES/SNES may get a little warm after hours of play, I don't think that's going to effect the game as much as a humid closet would.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

This topic is too anal even for me. :P I imagine the vast majority of people wouldn't replace a battery until it's already dead, so when the choice is between a game that doesn't save and one that does, the latter will always be more valuable.

There are a few collectors out there that may turn their nose up to a cartridge that's not in its original state, and some may be wary of questionable replacement jobs (the aforementioned tape method). All in all, though, if I was selling the one cartridge in which I've replaced the battery, I'd advertise it as a plus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    I know this has been discused before and I think the gereral conclusion was that, if anything, playing a game will increase the battery life some becasue the system will be powering the ram durring that time rather than the battery.

I've only had 2 batteries die on me. My original Zelda from way back when and just in the past couple months Super Mario Land 2.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

With my collection, the only game I've run across with a bad battery was Super Mario World. It's obviously not even one of my RPGs. And in that case it was easier to second game than it was to look into replacing the battery.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If your interested in doing a battery repair to increase value/desirability then you need to solder on to the PCB a slot socket (You know how you replace the cr2032 in a Saturn? That's a slot socket back there). To change a battery you just open the cart case flip out the old battery and slide a new one in and close her up. It's really slick and super easy even for iron rookies.

EDIT: They are actually called coin battery sockets. Slot socket is how I shortened it up in my own head I guess.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 12-08-2008 at 11:01 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried to do one of those battery sockets in a Lufia cart. Worked well. Now if and when it dies, i can just replace the battery and not have to do any soldering.
    YouTube: MasonSushi---- http://www.youtube.com/user/masonsushi
    NintendoAge: MasonSushi
    Licensed NES- Complete....32X Complete
    N64- Complete....Master System (CIB)- 8 left
    TG-16 Hu - Complete