Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RPG List for the Nintendo DS (dsrpgs) - updated 2/7/16

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From my experience on Orcs & Elves its very "Eye of Beholder"-ish.

I know this is just lists of RPG's. But being a RPG master, any chance you could asterick like must have RPG's?

Time is limited, RPG's are never ending

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great job! Developers, publishers, release dates, nicely done!!

Did you enjoy looking up all the data? The nicest thing: you learn a lot doing it, in particular how difficult developers are structured with all the subsidiaries, seperations, mergers, parent companies, it's a capitalistic mess....and you get a nice overview of the developers, publsihers, and the game series.

I think most people don't realize that you invested some serious time doing it. Probably around 5 hours with typing and cutting and pasting it into the post from files. Thanks! This list makes me want a DS. (btw, Suikoden Tierkreis got an excellent, enthusiastic preview from IGN)

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Great job! Developers, publishers, release dates, nicely done!!

Did you enjoy looking up all the data? The nicest thing: you learn a lot doing it, in particular how difficult developers are structured with all the subsidiaries, seperations, mergers, parent companies, it's a capitalistic mess....and you get a nice overview of the developers, publsihers, and the game series.

I think most people don't realize that you invested some serious time doing it. Probably around 5 hours with typing and cutting and pasting it into the post from files. Thanks! This list makes me want a DS. (btw, Suikoden Tierkreis got an excellent, enthusiastic preview from IGN)
    I already had a good idea that Big Developers such as Square Enix, and Nintendo were made out of smaller divisions of developers, and that they also contracted out to independent companies such as Brownie Brown and Camelot. So any time I saw either company blanket listed as developer I knew further digging was required.

But yeah I love research. It's fun in a totally geeked-out nerdy way.

It's also fun piecing together a developers history. Such as Climax Entertainment, they made Shining in the Darkness, Co-developed Shining Force with Camelot, began planning Shining Rouge, transformed that project into LandStalker when they fell out with Camelot. Later the team disbanded and reformed as Matrix Software who developed Alundra, and are now making Final Fantasy handheld remakes for Square. Weird.

Or that Jupiter Software, who developed TWEWY also made all those Spectrobe games for Disney.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I already had a good idea that Big Developers such as Square Enix, and Nintendo were made out of smaller divisions of developers, and that they also contracted out to independent companies such as Brownie Brown and Camelot. So any time I saw either company blanket listed as developer I knew further digging was required.

But yeah I love research. It's fun in a totally geeked-out nerdy way.

It's also fun piecing together a developers history. Such as Climax Entertainment, they made Shining in the Darkness, Co-developed Shining Force with Camelot, began planning Shining Rouge, transformed that project into LandStalker when they fell out with Camelot. Later the team disbanded and reformed as Matrix Software who developed Alundra, and are now making Final Fantasy handheld remakes for Square. Weird.

Or that Jupiter Software, who developed TWEWY also made all those Spectrobe games for Disney.
    This is slightly off topic, but I can completely understand why you enjoy the research. I've spent quite a few hours now compiling a multi-directional shooter master list, and learning about a genre or subset of games in its entirety is very satisfying. Maybe that list will even be finished some day.

Such work is appreciated though, so this is my token "I appreciate what you're doing" post. It's hard work, and if someone doesn't compile the information, it may be lost. So good work!

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Oh I love me the DS Castlevanias. I'm just not really sure if one would claim them as RPG's is all.
    Agreed. They're Metroid clones with experience points. Genre categories are notoriously vague so it's always a losing battle to try to draw those solid lines but I do believe that there should be at least some quantifiable difference between them. Sometimes new genres or subgenres pop up out of thin air. Prior to Street Fighter II games like Karate Champ were categorized as action games.

I think a helpful exercise is to imagine the least ambiguous title in a genre and then ask "How much does the game in question differ from this one?" So if you don't know whether a game qualifies as a platformer, compare it to Super Mario Bros. I have no problem with people calling Zelda an RPG, for instance. But if it is an RPG then so is Metroid. They essentially have the exact same gameplay/growth style. The only difference is the camera angle. And I don't think that camera angle is significant enough to place them in separate genres. And of course if experience points are enough to put Castlevania in the RPG category then Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is also an RPG despite effectively being a modern Streets of Rage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Since Harvest Moon is on the Simulation list, what about Animal Crossing: Wild World?
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since you included Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords, here is a new entry for the 'not yet released' category. The link is to IGN, just copy and paste:

Puzzle Quest: Galactrix - Q1 2009

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Daria, to use for every second title a grey font is a great idea and smart because it's easier on the eyes and optical navigation is better; however, if someone doesn't use the default black background (white) or tries to print the lists (try printable version in thread tools), then the titles in grey are hardly readible. Maybe you can use a much darker grey.

Now, if you change it back and use white, then the titles in white are not readible at all. In this case I just copied and pasted from my WordPerfect file the titles anew in there (didn't know better-maybe you can figure out the default color setting).

Just to let you know before you change the other titles to a grey font.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I've said in the past that the games like Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin are not RPGs. But, having now played it to completion, I certainly don't see how anyone could say it wasn't a action RPG. So, I firmly believe it should be in the list of Action RPGs.

There is also no doubt that Puzzle Quest belongs in the turn based RPG category. It's combat resolution is, roughly speaking, Bejeweled, but it's definitely an RPG in every measure.

Unless Mage Knight includes the Dungeon expansion heroes, there's not much rationale for calling it an RPG any more than any boardgame.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Today I got the new GameInformer, and there was a review of Cradle of Rome.

Seems to be in the same category as Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords, that means it falls into the puzzle/RPG hybrid category which probably end up as borderline.

Here are two links to IGN: GameData HandsOn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Added Elebits as an uncategorized RPG, Dragon Ball Origins as an Action RPG, and Blue Dragon was added to the upcoming games list.
    Last edited by Daria; 01-27-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings is not what I would consider to be a traditional RPG. It is more of a real time strategy game.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a complete list of upcoming games via www.rpgamer.com

My World, My Way 02.03.2009
    Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon 2.16.2009
    Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride 02.17.2009
    Puzzle Quest: Galactrix No Release
    Blue Dragon Plus 02.24.2009
    Legacy of Ys: Books I & II 02.24.2009
    Avalon Code 03.10.2009
    The Dark Spire 03.10.2009
    Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled 03.17.2009
    Suikoden Tierkreis 03.17.2009
    Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume 03.17.2009
    Pokemon Platinum 03.22.2009
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time 03.24.2009
    Little Magician's Magic Adventure 05.05.2009
    Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days 08.31.2009
    Infinite Space TBA
    Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie TBA
    Princess and Knight TBA

Some of which have been already listed but others not
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings is not what I would consider to be a traditional RPG. It is more of a real time strategy game.
    Would you say it's an action RPG, or a non-RPG spinoff like Heroes of Mana (another RTS)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Retro Game Challenge has a built in Dragon Warrior clone. Have no idea how complete a game it is though. Something to keep an eye on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V1rFNFqebA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

points to his previouis post

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Fossil League: Dino Tournament Championship is an RPG. Only reason I know is because I managed to find a copy cheap, it's like Pokemon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Charlie View Post
    points to his previouis post
    I see it, thank you. :P

Just haven't dug through it yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lunar dragon Song isnt on the list

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about the Naruto RPGs?
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com