Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RPG List for the Nintendo DS (dsrpgs) - updated 2/7/16

PSN
    namzep
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heroes of Mana is sort of borderline but is usually listed as being an RPG.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neist View Post
    A note on Orcs and Elves. The game isn't quite real-time, though it would depend on what your definition of what an action RPG is.

Combat works very similar to a mysterious dungeon game. You take an action, then everyone else takes an action. Repeat over and over. If you watch video of the game it appears to be in real time just because people are playing it fast.
    Thanks, yeah the videos made it look Elder Scroll-ish which it...isn't.

Moving to turn-based.

Heroes of Mana moved to Non-RPG RPG Spin-off since it's an RTS.
    Last edited by Daria; 12-11-2008 at 09:02 AM.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Are the Battlenetwork games real time? From the video it looked like the action paused, you queued you attacks then watched everything play out.
    Save for the one moment where you call up the screen to select chips, yes. Calling up the chip screen freezes game play while you make the decision to either pick chips, or wait and get to see an additional 5 after another charge session (which is like 5-8 seconds, whole point of the battle is to beat them as fast as possible to get the better/rarer versions of the chips.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Save for the one moment where you call up the screen to select chips, yes. Calling up the chip screen freezes game play while you make the decision to either pick chips, or wait and get to see an additional 5 after another charge session (which is like 5-8 seconds, whole point of the battle is to beat them as fast as possible to get the better/rarer versions of the chips.
    Are chips your attacks? Or are they specials?

Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are chips your attacks? Or are they specials?
    Both. They are attack/health/defensive moves depending on what chips you've got. You can attack w/o ever using a chip, but as you get farther and farther into the game that little buster takes longer and longer to polish off a baddie alone and the whole point of the game is to use the darn things.
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't personally see the Castlevania's as RPG's (yes they do have EXP) they to me are Action/Adventure ala Brave Fencer Musashi and Dragon Valor. But all in all this list is going to be a bit subjective no matter who makes it.
    Come on, no love for Drac?

You do play as a party. Evidently shown in Portrait of Ruin as your team is a so-called "vampire killer" and a sorceress able to pull off combination attacks. Dawn of Sorrow has this (to an extent) in Julius Mode.

The World Ends With You - Surprised no one has vouched for TWEWY as many on here has praised the game as a great hit (even had its own thread when it was released).
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    The World Ends With You - Surprised no one has vouched for TWEWY as many on here has praised the game as a great hit (even had its own thread when it was released).
    It's already on the list.

Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Come on, no love for Drac?

You do play as a party. Evidently shown in Portrait of Ruin as your team is a so-called "vampire killer" and a sorceress able to pull off combination attacks. Dawn of Sorrow has this (to an extent) in Julius Mode.

Oh I love me the DS Castlevanias. I'm just not really sure if one would claim them as RPG's is all.

Oh and clarifying a point on Mega Man, everything is real time, you push the buttons to attack, you move about the grid on your own to attack and dodge enemies, its not automatic in the slightest. It only freezes action when you call up the chips for selection.
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh and clarifying a point on Mega Man, everything is real time, you push the buttons to attack, you move about the grid on your own to attack and dodge enemies, its not automatic in the slightest. It only freezes action when you call up the chips for selection.
    I'll move them all to action.

Press_Start: What kind of Battle System does TWEWY use?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    It's already on the list.
    Oh yeah! Now I see it under...."not categorized?"

Daria: I believe TWEWY has a system similar to Xenogears combat system. Wish I could go more into specifics but its finals week over here and I should be cramming for upcoming finals and projects. I'm sure many on here can shine some light on the subject.
    Last edited by Press_Start; 12-11-2008 at 06:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh yeah! Now I see it under...."not categorized?"
    I've never played it. I don't know what kind of battle system it uses and couldn't deduce enough information from videos.

Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't know why I didn't think of these earlier, but Izuna and Izuna 2 should probably be in there somewhere.
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Don't know why I didn't think of these earlier, but Izuna and Izuna 2 should probably be in there somewhere.
    They are. :P

Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Izuna games would fit better under the mysterious dungeon category and not action rpg because they're not action rpgs, more of a dungeon crawl like nethack or dwarf fortress.

Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    The Izuna games would fit better under the mysterious dungeon category and not action rpg because they're not action rpgs, more of a dungeon crawl like nethack or dwarf fortress.
    That was my initial impression of the game, but then doubted myself based on videos. (I only own like 10 DS RPGs at the moment). Thanks!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From my experience on Orcs & Elves its very "Eye of Beholder"-ish.

I know this is just lists of RPG's. But being a RPG master, any chance you could asterick like must have RPG's?

Time is limited, RPG's are never ending

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great job! Developers, publishers, release dates, nicely done!!

Did you enjoy looking up all the data? The nicest thing: you learn a lot doing it, in particular how difficult developers are structured with all the subsidiaries, seperations, mergers, parent companies, it's a capitalistic mess....and you get a nice overview of the developers, publsihers, and the game series.

I think most people don't realize that you invested some serious time doing it. Probably around 5 hours with typing and cutting and pasting it into the post from files. Thanks! This list makes me want a DS. (btw, Suikoden Tierkreis got an excellent, enthusiastic preview from IGN)

Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Great job! Developers, publishers, release dates, nicely done!!

Did you enjoy looking up all the data? The nicest thing: you learn a lot doing it, in particular how difficult developers are structured with all the subsidiaries, seperations, mergers, parent companies, it's a capitalistic mess....and you get a nice overview of the developers, publsihers, and the game series.

I think most people don't realize that you invested some serious time doing it. Probably around 5 hours with typing and cutting and pasting it into the post from files. Thanks! This list makes me want a DS. (btw, Suikoden Tierkreis got an excellent, enthusiastic preview from IGN)
    I already had a good idea that Big Developers such as Square Enix, and Nintendo were made out of smaller divisions of developers, and that they also contracted out to independent companies such as Brownie Brown and Camelot. So any time I saw either company blanket listed as developer I knew further digging was required.

But yeah I love research. It's fun in a totally geeked-out nerdy way.

It's also fun piecing together a developers history. Such as Climax Entertainment, they made Shining in the Darkness, Co-developed Shining Force with Camelot, began planning Shining Rouge, transformed that project into LandStalker when they fell out with Camelot. Later the team disbanded and reformed as Matrix Software who developed Alundra, and are now making Final Fantasy handheld remakes for Square. Weird.

Or that Jupiter Software, who developed TWEWY also made all those Spectrobe games for Disney.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I already had a good idea that Big Developers such as Square Enix, and Nintendo were made out of smaller divisions of developers, and that they also contracted out to independent companies such as Brownie Brown and Camelot. So any time I saw either company blanket listed as developer I knew further digging was required.

But yeah I love research. It's fun in a totally geeked-out nerdy way.

It's also fun piecing together a developers history. Such as Climax Entertainment, they made Shining in the Darkness, Co-developed Shining Force with Camelot, began planning Shining Rouge, transformed that project into LandStalker when they fell out with Camelot. Later the team disbanded and reformed as Matrix Software who developed Alundra, and are now making Final Fantasy handheld remakes for Square. Weird.

Or that Jupiter Software, who developed TWEWY also made all those Spectrobe games for Disney.
    This is slightly off topic, but I can completely understand why you enjoy the research. I've spent quite a few hours now compiling a multi-directional shooter master list, and learning about a genre or subset of games in its entirety is very satisfying. Maybe that list will even be finished some day.

Such work is appreciated though, so this is my token "I appreciate what you're doing" post. It's hard work, and if someone doesn't compile the information, it may be lost. So good work!

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh I love me the DS Castlevanias. I'm just not really sure if one would claim them as RPG's is all.
    Agreed. They're Metroid clones with experience points. Genre categories are notoriously vague so it's always a losing battle to try to draw those solid lines but I do believe that there should be at least some quantifiable difference between them. Sometimes new genres or subgenres pop up out of thin air. Prior to Street Fighter II games like Karate Champ were categorized as action games.

I think a helpful exercise is to imagine the least ambiguous title in a genre and then ask "How much does the game in question differ from this one?" So if you don't know whether a game qualifies as a platformer, compare it to Super Mario Bros. I have no problem with people calling Zelda an RPG, for instance. But if it is an RPG then so is Metroid. They essentially have the exact same gameplay/growth style. The only difference is the camera angle. And I don't think that camera angle is significant enough to place them in separate genres. And of course if experience points are enough to put Castlevania in the RPG category then Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is also an RPG despite effectively being a modern Streets of Rage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since Harvest Moon is on the Simulation list, what about Animal Crossing: Wild World?
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since you included Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords, here is a new entry for the 'not yet released' category. The link is to IGN, just copy and paste:

Puzzle Quest: Galactrix - Q1 2009

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Daria, to use for every second title a grey font is a great idea and smart because it's easier on the eyes and optical navigation is better; however, if someone doesn't use the default black background (white) or tries to print the lists (try printable version in thread tools), then the titles in grey are hardly readible. Maybe you can use a much darker grey.

Now, if you change it back and use white, then the titles in white are not readible at all. In this case I just copied and pasted from my WordPerfect file the titles anew in there (didn't know better-maybe you can figure out the default color setting).

Just to let you know before you change the other titles to a grey font.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I've said in the past that the games like Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin are not RPGs. But, having now played it to completion, I certainly don't see how anyone could say it wasn't a action RPG. So, I firmly believe it should be in the list of Action RPGs.

There is also no doubt that Puzzle Quest belongs in the turn based RPG category. It's combat resolution is, roughly speaking, Bejeweled, but it's definitely an RPG in every measure.

Unless Mage Knight includes the Dungeon expansion heroes, there's not much rationale for calling it an RPG any more than any boardgame.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Today I got the new GameInformer, and there was a review of Cradle of Rome.

Seems to be in the same category as Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords, that means it falls into the puzzle/RPG hybrid category which probably end up as borderline.

Here are two links to IGN: GameData HandsOn