Thread: From the Ultimate History of Videogames: Bill Kunkel

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default From the Ultimate History of Videogames: Bill Kunkel

As I'm reading this book, the name Bill Kunkel got dropped a few times, I'm sure I can reference, but as this site has "The Kunkel Report" I thought it would be neat to note this.

Also, as the book goes I'm a little disappointed in the lack of detail in the buisness from after the Atari era. Some may say that's the only part that really counts, but for the Neo Geo to be merely a footnote in the book... I dunno. It doesn't sit right.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: From the Ultimate History of Videogames: Bill Kunkel

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG
    As I'm reading this book, the name Bill Kunkel got dropped a few times, I'm sure I can reference, but as this site has "The Kunkel Report" I thought it would be neat to note this.

Also, as the book goes I'm a little disappointed in the lack of detail in the buisness from after the Atari era. Some may say that's the only part that really counts, but for the Neo Geo to be merely a footnote in the book... I dunno. It doesn't sit right.

-AG
    Steve's an old-timer (and a great guy, one of the classiest journalists in the biz), so he's obviously most interested in the industry's formative/Atari years. Also, from a practical standpoint, the Neo Geo IS a footnote in gaming history, a strictly hardcore company even at its early-'90s peak. Steve had to stick to the mainstream "narrative" in his excellent tome, and there were many more impactful events upon the game industry than the Neo Geo's run.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh, by all means there were, but I was sort of suspecting more from the post-atari years. Neo-Geo wise, I was thinking at least the one to two page description that the 3D0 got... I don't know, it seems that it's getting more condenced the further in it goes.

Having said that, the book is also a hell of a read, and the fact that I'm on page 500 or so just one day after purchasing the book is also a testament to the writing class. If anything, I guess I wish it was longer.

-AG
    -AB+

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG
    Oh, by all means there were, but I was sort of suspecting more from the post-atari years. Neo-Geo wise, I was thinking at least the one to two page description that the 3D0 got... I don't know, it seems that it's getting more condenced the further in it goes.

Having said that, the book is also a hell of a read, and the fact that I'm on page 500 or so just one day after purchasing the book is also a testament to the writing class. If anything, I guess I wish it was longer.

-AG
    Oh, okay, I see what you're sayin'. Yeah, there's definitely a truncated feel to the latter half of the book. Almost makes me wish Steve had been able to divvy it up into two volumes, but that's very wishful thinking.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, and also remember that if someone decided to make a series, chronicling start to finish the history of every console, I'd buy the set. It would be the encyclopaedia set for Video Gamers.

...I might be one of maybe ten though.

-AG
    -AB+

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I agree with what you're saying AdamG. My problem was I'd just finished reading Zap! before I got Kent's book, so I was already up to speed on a lot of the Atari stuff up to 1984. And having already read Game Over kind of took the punch out of most of the Nintendo stuff.

Still, it's a good read, espically if you aren't going to track down Zap!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mh got this book and have to say it's really good, ok, perhaps u have read the atari stuff somewhere else and of course some consoles are not given enough pages BUT it's the most comprehensive history of video games AND he has a great style of writing, it almost reads like a novel

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I liked the book too. It's much more "inside" and anecdotal than most of the books in this culture, I really liked what it brought to the table. Steve Kent is a terrific writer, too.

Now that Mr. Kunkel is a forum member here, I'll be sure to point him to this thread. I'll bet he's got an opinion to share as well.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have "The First Quarter"...am I write in assuming this is basically a later edition of that book? Since I have "The First Quarter", is there enough added material in "Ultimate" to warrant its purchase?

I'm also wondering what other videogaming related books are worth picking up but perhaps that query deserves its own thread...