Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Philips cd-i - skipping and crashing on a game with no visible scratches or scuffs

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was pretty clear to me from the outset, but sometimes it's hard to convince people.

Anyway, good to know that the cause of the problem has been identified finally. Now you only need to get the re-greasing done properly.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsKiller View Post
    It was pretty clear to me from the outset, but sometimes it's hard to convince people.

Anyway, good to know that the cause of the problem has been identified finally. Now you only need to get the re-greasing done properly.
    Thanks for your help, haha. Sorry I doubted you.

I figure if I really feel I can't do this myself, it's not that complicated, and any repair shop that services CD and DVD players would probably do this. Going to make some calls today.
    Last edited by aboblyndsae; 12-30-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep us posted, I would love to hear the successful conclusion.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, this was something I thought I asked about looong ago. I certainly shouldn't have missed this thread!

I have the exact same system (CD-i 370 - I didn't realize it was made by Goldstar, aka LG Electronics (EDIT: I don't see any markings on it to indicate it was, besides the "made in Korea")) and the game crashed on me a couple years ago at the exact same point (EDIT: It did it again, but at least now I have a map of the maze! Not too hard when you have an idea where you've already been; I only took one detour.)

I'm currently replaying The 7th Guest from scratch, but I believe I'm going to run into this problem soon.

The two possibilities are the second version of the game (v203, but I think this may be the version I have - will check), or a problem with the laser (which seems more likely to me, since I've had some problems in other games too i.e. Hotel Mario). UPDATE: I think the hardware is simply incompatible with this version of the game.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 08-10-2009 at 11:28 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello,
    I just bought a CDI 370 from ebay.
    When i put in a game or cd all it does is make a disc accessing sound and doesn't load either media.
    I looked at the position of the laser before putting a disc in and looked after i took the disc out and it didn't move.
    Could the motor be burnt? Can it be fixed? Should i return it or try to fix it?
    Thanks,Eric

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by ChupaX View Post
    Hello,
    I just bought a CDI 370 from ebay.
    When i put in a game or cd all it does is make a disc accessing sound and doesn't load either media.
    I looked at the position of the laser before putting a disc in and looked after i took the disc out and it didn't move.
    Could the motor be burnt? Can it be fixed? Should i return it or try to fix it?
    Thanks,Eric
    Can you hear the disc spin up at all?

If you can return it I would, especially if you can get 100% of your money back. But only if it was sold as fully functional and not worded some idiotic way to make sure that nobody could return it for being broken.

Motors can wear out and so do lasers. I'd wager a guess the laser might not be able to recognize that there is a disc in the system and refuses to go any further in the booting process. Probably fixable but I'd have to know what model laser is inside the CD-I.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?