Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Thokk

Default Most Reliable PS2 Question

Since Sony, in their infinite wisdom, has decided that the fastest way to profit for the PS3 is to continually cut capabilities, I am thinking that I would like to pick up a PS2 in order to gain access to the vast and wonderful library that includes such great titles as Persona 4, and Rygar. My question is this.

What type of PS2 hardware is the least likely to puke? Is it the older model that has the motorized tray, or the newer/current generation that is all skinny and sleek?

Thank in advance for your input!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the latest version of the fat ones are the best. But I wouldn't bet money on my this.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The newest version of the slim is the way to go. You can probably pick one up on eBay used for around $80 (although it may be hard to tell an older model from a 2007/2008 one). If you need a hard drive, the last version of the fat one is reliable as well, but you probably can't buy one new.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Thokk

Man, I'm such a n00b when it comes to PS2 hardware.

Why would I want a HD for a PS2, other than to not have to use memory cards? You don't do installs or upgrades to PS2 software on the HD, do you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes you can install some games. Only one I ever used was Street Fighter Alpha Anthology. I don't know if there were upgrades that allowed you to install old games or not? I'd doubt it but would not know.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I recently picked up the newest version of the slim, brand new, at Wal-Mart, in a pack that contained the PS2 LEGO Batman. I can't remember the exact price, but I thought to myself at the time that it was a great deal to pay that much for the console itself AND what was at the time a new game. My old, first-gen fat PS2 was starting to get DREs and it just wasn't worth my while to fix 'em. So far, this one's been very reliable...but that's only over the course of a few months.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I haven't ever had to buy a new PS2, since 2001. It has had the DREs 4 or 5 times and wouldn't read any of my games. But every time I've been able to fix it by simply taking the shell off and rubbing a little alcohol on the laser eye with a Q-Tip. It has worked every time. Maybe I just got lucky with my PS2, but if anyone here has a fat PS2 that won't read discs, try it. Oh, and be careful when removing the shell, there is a strip that connects the power/open buttons to the rest of the system, it's hard to put it back in if removed.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

i'd be interested to hear about the longevity of the new series of internal-ps slims. when they drop to 99 i'll get one in a heartbeat, as soon as ps2 #4 (a phat) inevitably kicks the dust.

i think you got lucky, chicnstu. on the two phats i had that got dre, i was only able to partially fix them. i was able to adjust one of them where it would read cds/ps1 but nothing else. the other i was able to adjust to where it would read dvds/ps2 but nothing else. so i had two phats stacked on top of each other for a long time to make a complete ps2. until i found a $70 slim. whose motor decided to stop working six months later. :sigh:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the thick PS2. The DVD player went out almost immediately (as did most of my friends' thick PS2's). Games always worked and that thing went through some abuse. When I sold it the tray door was gone and there was an inch of dust visible inside it. I'm sure it's still working to this day (and I put ALOT of hours in that machine). If shelf space and a working DVD drive doesn't matter, I'd say either would be acceptable, but I'd opt for a slim, personally, since it has less "miles" on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RyoGeo View Post
    Man, I'm such a n00b when it comes to PS2 hardware.

Why would I want a HD for a PS2, other than to not have to use memory cards? You don't do installs or upgrades to PS2 software on the HD, do you?
    One use for the bigg'one PS2 HD slot was for Final Fantasy (XI, I think?). It was so huge that it actually came with a hard drive!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

"Why would I want a HD for a PS2, other than to not have to use memory cards? You don't do installs or upgrades to PS2 software on the HD, do you?"

"Yes you can install some games. Only one I ever used was Street Fighter Alpha Anthology. I don't know if there were upgrades that allowed you to install old games or not? I'd doubt it but would not know."

Free McBoot + HDLoader (Version .8c) = WIN!

Free McBoot is a softmod that is run from a memory card. HDLoader (.8c) is the latest patched version of the original program to install and play games from a hard drive and can be installed with Free McBoot.

Version .8c is compatible with about 85 to 90 percent of PS2 games.

I just recently learned to install FMCB to my memory cards and acquired a 160GB drive for my primary PS2 Fatty. I currently have about six games installed and plan to install most of my current library.

The program is not perfect, though. I currently cannot install GTA: San Andreas or GTA: Vice City. It gives something about 150,000 hr install time and crashes. I plan to research ways to FTP games from my Mac to my PS2 to solve this problem.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."