Thread: Offering free shipping on Ebay...does it hurt sellers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Offering free shipping on Ebay...does it hurt sellers?

So I've noticed lately that a lot of sellers are offering free shipping on everything, with more and more jumping on the free shipping bandwagon everyday. Because of this, it's going to force other sellers to have to offer free shipping as well in order to match their competition...even if they don't want to do shipping for free. I mean, with free shipping...not only to you have to pay the cost of shipping out of your own pocket, Ebay gets to take more from you in fees since the item sells for more (and if it doesn't...you still loose money by paying for shipping yourself). What are people's thoughts here on the fact that so many sellers are switching over to free shipping? Do you think it can only have negative affects on sellers, or do you see anything positive coming out of it (there must be something positive, or else why are so many sellers doing it)?

I have a feeling that Ebay will get to the point where they force all of their sellers to offer free shipping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I would pressume that most sellers that offer free shipping hike the items price in order to include shipping in it.

For example, if a game used to cost $20, and $4 shipping, now it's $24 starting bid.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes. for example i can ship my 28 master system sealed game for free WORLDWIDE with buy it now. YEs, the price can seem high. But imagine how much you save on shipping (e.g buying 28 sealed games separately). That's insane saving. about 600$.
    OWNER: http://www.sealedvideogames.net
    My Rpg Collection
    Always looking for FACTORY SEALED snes and sega and psx RPG's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I would pressume that most sellers that offer free shipping hike the items price in order to include shipping in it.

For example, if a game used to cost $20, and $4 shipping, now it's $24 starting bid.
    But if that's the case, then Ebay will charge you higher fees because the item sold for more. So not only are your fees higher, but you're paying for shipping yourself...so you actually loose money doing it that way rather then charging $4 for shipping. I just don't see how anyone can benefit from free shipping, yet I'm worried that every seller will have to do it eventually...since so many people are switching over to it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Perhaps.

Also, sellers use 'free shipping' but I also bet they use the most cheapest option available...the dreaded "MEDIA MAIL" or "PARCEL POST". Why waste $2 shipping when it can be sent for only 50 cents media mail?

Sadly, it takes forever using these methods, so I simply contact the seller and send them extra for a speedier service.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Perhaps.

Also, sellers use 'free shipping' but I also bet they use the most cheapest option available...the dreaded "MEDIA MAIL" or "PARCEL POST". Why waste $2 shipping when it can be sent for only 50 cents media mail?

Sadly, it takes forever using these methods, so I simply contact the seller and send them extra for a speedier service.
    It's funny that you would mention that. Ebay is pushing people to switch to free shipping, and forcing them to only charge a "minimum" shipping amount on items...thus, sellers are more likely to ship media mail and other slow, but cheap options. However, if sellers do that...then buyers will mark their Ebay score down due to slow shipping, and if their score drops below 4.3...Ebay will suspend their account. You just can't win it seems like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Ebay was giving some sort of fee break if you offered free shipping, but it might be just if you are a super awesome OMG FTW power seller

someone might want to look it up, but I don't sell enough stuff on there anymore to take the time ;-)
    Last edited by StakeRaiser; 12-20-2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: added info

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the UK at least, eBay have a promotion in December where you get 25% off the final value fee if you offer free shipping. Also, for DVDs they now require you to offer free shipping (and I think that they are bringing it in for video games shortly as well).

Thankfully I already ditched my eBay selling after getting fed up with all the other crap they've pushed through this year (i.e. jacking up the fees and pretending that it's a cut, preventing sellers from leaving genuine feedback, forcing Paypal only for console sales, the new (and SHITE!) search / My eBay set-up etc etc).

Once again, I sincerely hope that their sales fall through the floor. Every change they have made in the last year or so has made their service unambiguously worse in my opinion. I now count myself as officially an ex-eBay user.

And to think, I used to think that the banks and credit card companies were scheisters .. at least when they send me a letter to say the fees are going up they don't try to pretend that I'll be paying less. I used to love eBay. Now they can kiss my . Great corporate strategy guys!
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StakeRaiser View Post
    I thought Ebay was giving some sort of fee break if you offered free shipping, but it might be just if you are a super awesome OMG FTW power seller

someone might want to look it up, but I don't sell enough stuff on there anymore to take the time ;-)
    It's not a fee break, but you get free Subtitle ($1.50 value) and a much higher placement in that awful Best Match search if you use free shipping with a fixed price listing. It also makes your listing stand out from the rest with the flashy FREE SHIPPING gif.

I've tried using it on a couple dozen items and in the end, I've sold the items for the same net value, but maybe a little faster than I would have normally I guess. I'm not really sold on it.