Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yobo FC3 NES/SNES/Genesis hands-on mini review (for now)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hear you can find these things at Toys R Us.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Labrynian Rebel View Post
    There is one thing I want to know about the FC3, can it or can it not play Mario RPG for the SNES? Some sites says it can, other that it can't, others say that only some version will, I want the TRUTH (please?) From personal experience, not that "oh my second cousin said that..." rubbish I want cold hard facts for that game (among others) is the reason why I want this system and I would really appreciate it.
    I do not own the game, or I would test it for you. I am overall unsatisfied with this system. The controllers suck, and no other system's controllers will work with it. Someone familiar with embedded systems would need to create a circuit board to convert it.

However, these people claim to have tested it:

http://videogamecentral.com/gamersvo...-snes-genesis/

and say it and other FX chip games work.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    I hear you can find these things at Toys R Us.
    No.

You can't.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    I do not own the game, or I would test it for you. I am overall unsatisfied with this system. The controllers suck, and no other system's controllers will work with it. Someone familiar with embedded systems would need to create a circuit board to convert it.

However, these people claim to have tested it:

http://videogamecentral.com/gamersvo...-snes-genesis/

and say it and other FX chip games work.
    Talking from my own personal experience, since I do happen to have the SNES game "SUPER MARIO RPG" (Made in Japan), when tested, it didn't worked for me....What you have to keep in mind here, is that most of the times, cartridge based games, had the tendency to have different revisions made to the inner boards during their manufacturing (different production runs, among other factors), so this is a reason for why, it will play for some, but not for others....Besides, with the Retro Duo for example, I've seen different motherboard revisions within the actual clone system itself, I would not be surprised is the FC3 has a couple of them by now....My FC3 is the black model, as seen in the pics...And the people at the Youtube video review has a Silver model...Perhaps the different color models could have a different motherboard revision too, who knows....

I'm currently working on a project to make a controller converter for this sucker....Hopefully, it won't die on me before it is done....
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    Talking from my own personal experience, since I do happen to have the SNES game "SUPER MARIO RPG" (Made in Japan), when tested, it didn't worked for me....
    I know you're ahead of the curve on this, but for the guy who doesn't own one, this system does have switch on the back for Jap vs Other. I'm sure you probably tried it on both. I'll see if I can find a US copy of the game and try it on my system. I also have the black system like the one pictured.

I'm currently working on a project to make a controller converter for this sucker....Hopefully, it won't die on me before it is done....
    Now you're talkin! Are you expecting to make some sort of circuit board? or using the circuit board from the controller? or do you think it would be possible for the wires to simply be rearranged for something to work?

I don't expect the wires would work directly for Genesis especially, since it used all 9 wires, and had specific wires for each direction, etc.

I've tried to splice in SNES controllers to no avail, but I would really like to use an NES, SNES, and Genesis controllers for the respective system function.

Is there any way you could post some close up of your video output mod so I could improve the video output of mine? the screen scrolling for the Genesis aspect is really quite annoying.

Thanks.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Labrynian Rebel View Post
    There is one thing I want to know about the FC3, can it or can it not play Mario RPG for the SNES? Some sites says it can, other that it can't, others say that only some version will, I want the TRUTH (please?) From personal experience, not that "oh my second cousin said that..." rubbish I want cold hard facts for that game (among others) is the reason why I want this system and I would really appreciate it.
    The cold hard facts about Super Mario RPG have already been detailed elsewhere (mainly on Retro Duo research).

The only version of SMRPG (NTSC US) that will run on FC Twins, Retro Duos (and I assume) FC3s (which probably use identical Yobo FC Twin SNES hardware) - is version 1.0.

There are two revisions 1.1 and 1.2, and from what I understand, aside from dumping a ROM there is no way to determine which version of SMRPG that you have.

Even in the case of the game running, there have been reported crash points early in the game.

So, if I were you I would put aside the hopes of getting it to run on clone hardware.

A used SNES doesn't really cost much more than one of these, it will guarantee compatiblity, and they all have AV output, so it's not like the output situation with a top-loader NES or anything.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default update?

Any update on the controller adapter?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got mine in the mail today, bought it cheaper off Amazon than I would have paid at the local game store outlet.

NES works fine. StarTropics plays well.

Genesis games have a dark picture. Another thread here indicates this is a problem with the TV itself, not specifically the console. I have a crappy Sylvania TV that has NO brightness adjust option whatsoever. Either I can hope to perform some simple mod to make the system put out a better picture, or buy a new TV. Possibly damage the new system or spend $50 or so on a better TV? Might just get a better TV when I get some dough. Not that I'm overly concerned, I only have Sonic and Sonic 2, both of which are on the Mega Collection Plus Xbox disc I own.

I haven't tested the SNES side yet. The only gave I have on hand is some Sailor Moon game an annoying otaku ex-girlfriend left at my house, and Yobo had the "good sense" to put those tabs into the SNES cart slot! Would someone kindly tell them that those tabs serve NO function whatsoever? I'll have to open this thing up and cut them out. But I'll assume it works.

Not sure of the light gun. My TV is a CRT but the screen is flat, which MAY mess with the gun. I don't have a game to try anyway.

If I can get around the dark Genesis picture, then I'll consider the console worth what I paid.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not aloud to work today ....But Yes, I finished my converter a few days ago... I focused in being able to use official SNES controllers to play with all of the 3 systems sides, NES/GEN and SNES...Duh!....And successfully did it....And Yes, even the 3 and 6 button Genesis games can be played with the SNES controller after the mod...

Although, I didn't had another 9 pin controller extension cord to add te 2nd player compatility, but atm it will do...

Here's my FC3, Player 1 only, controller port pinout..(Looking at the console port).....One more thing, this is most likely the same pinout for other clone systems that may have the same controller port style, since, they all seem to come from the same place...

NOTE: The FC3 controller port player 2 has a slightly different pinout, which includes the light gun signal pins...

I used a SNES "PERFORMANCE" branded Super 5-Play adapter and rewired the 9 pin extension to it, but you can use whatever male SNES connector port that you may have available....Here's mine:

Enjoy!
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 02-17-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

fuck yeah! Let me know if you get anywhere with using an actual NES light gun.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How do you think this would work for genesis games?

http://www.8-track-shack.com/mad-cat...r-p-32091.html

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the controller mapping for the FC3, after building and using a SNES converter is as follow:
    For the NES side, the converter is great, the SNES D-pad,Select,Start, Y and B buttons, equals to the NES D-pad,Select,Start, B and A buttons.....The SNES side, uses the same controller funtions as a regular SNES controller....When it comes to the Genesis commands, the Genesis A,B,C buttons, equals to SNES controller B, Y and Left trigger buttons.....The Genesis X, Y, and Z buttons equals to the SNES A, X and Right trigger buttons.....I'm going to rewire a second SNES controller port and a NES controller port at the same time, so it can funtion as second player port as well as being able to use the NES zapper light gun...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, pretty much not very useful for Genesis games?

Ideal would be SNES B, A, R = SEGA A, B, C
    and then SNES Y, X, L = SEGA X, Y, Z

in which case, the mad catz snes turber controller would be perfect.

I guess that's probably too much to ask, eh? I wonder if it would be possible to reconfigure the mad catz turbo controller buttons... that would be better than playing with the standard FC3 controller.

Let us know when you figure out the pinout of player two, for the extra inputs for the light gun.
    Last edited by madhatter; 02-21-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best I could get from my seller was a replacement, not a refund. I'm not buying a new TV to get aroudn the dark Genesis picture, so I traded it in to the local game store for store credit. I'll survive on my Retro Duo for Nintendo, and I have a pending craigslist Genesis purchase.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Progress?

Any progress on that NES lightgun functionality?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think what ticks me off about Yobo is that they keep releasing the same junk with no thought to quality. No enhancements, no concerns for a good product.

They STILL keep putting the plastic tabs in the SNES slot which keeps out any non-US game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not aloud to work today ....But Yes, I finished my converter a few days ago... I focused in being able to use official SNES controllers to play with all of the 3 systems sides, NES/GEN and SNES...Duh!....And successfully did it....And Yes, even the 3 and 6 button Genesis games can be played with the SNES controller after the mod...

Although, I didn't had another 9 pin controller extension cord to add te 2nd player compatility, but atm it will do...

Here's my FC3, Player 1 only, controller port pinout..(Looking at the console port).....One more thing, this is most likely the same pinout for other clone systems that may have the same controller port style, since, they all seem to come from the same place...

NOTE: The FC3 controller port player 2 has a slightly different pinout, which includes the light gun signal pins...

I used a SNES "PERFORMANCE" branded Super 5-Play adapter and rewired the 9 pin extension to it, but you can use whatever male SNES connector port that you may have available....Here's mine:

Enjoy!
    I wish his pictures were still up, I really want to do this mod.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys, sorry to bump this thread, but I'd like some technical information on FC3 Pluses that were purchased by DigitPress members in the past month. What I'd need would be a picture of the internals, as well as a compatibility test with Virtua Racing for the Genesis. Virtua Racing is not supposed to work, but I found a review by ReviewTechUSA on YouTube showing that Virtua Racing works on the FC3 Plus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsqKf7C3pt4

I'm wondering if the GOAC on this clone has been changed in any way to make Virtua Racing compatible. I'd like to see the silver model's internals, but the charcoal model will do as well(it must have been purchased within the last month), especially a close-up of both the top and bottom of the Genesis board.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm curious as to if there are any other 3-in-1 units like this. The thing is amazingly convenient.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the FC3 Plus is the only one of its kind. I would have prefered it if Yobo used the same NOAC as the RetroDuo, as it's a BRILLANT 16-bit console, but as an NES, it's not that great. And if the new FC3 Pluses are truly compatible with Virtua Racing and what is shown in the video I linked isn't a fluke, then this is the ULTIMATE 16-bit combo clone. Yobo should make a Super NES/Genesis combo clone sometime.

But right now, I just want to see the Genesis board from an FC3 Plus purchased in the past month. I'm looking for something to replace my FC Twin(NES sound circuit won't stop going bad) and GN Twin(completely dead), and if the FC3 Plus is now compatible with Virtua Racing(which the GN Twin was), I'm going to buy one.