Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: classic gaming vs modern gaming

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default classic gaming vs modern gaming

well I got $250 for Christmas... enough to buy a Wii, but I recently did an inventory of all my games, and discovered to my horror that somehow I missed Darkstalkers for PS1... I've owned Night Warriors for Saturn and Darkstalkers 3 for PS1 since way back in the day, so the original Darkstalkers is the only one I was missing... fortunately, I found a new copy on ebay for the staggering price of $150, but that left me with a dillema... get the Wii that I've been wanting for months now, or get that Darkstalkers game I need to complete my collection... so of course classic gaming won, and I bought the Darkstalkers game... I really didn't wanna have to spend that much to get a pristine copy to add to all my other pristine classic games, but I had to have that game, and I figured that I can always get a Wii next year... but would I be lucky enough to get a new copy of Darkstalkers for less someday? probably not... so I had no choice but to pay the ransom and free the game... I also wanna get a Lynx someday, and the $150 would've covered a new one complete with California Games and a ComLynx cable... but I'm sure I can still get one of those someday soon too... so the Wii is waiting, and so is the Lynx... and I'm waiting for Darkstalkers to arrive in the mail soon... when faced with decisions like this, classic gaming will always win, at any cost!

how about you?
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Well, my wife & I own a Wii, 360, and 2 DS systems and I have to say that the future of gaming is dead to me(except for Nintendo portables). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my current gen systems but my wife & I keep going back to the classics (except the DS which is GREAT for local wireless play). Nothing is wrong with spending your money on classic systems and games. As a matter of fact a large percentage of people who are buying these new systems are doing so because they are "the thing to have" and don't enjoy them like they would with a classic system. Bottom line is buy what makes you happy and not what people tell you will make you happy.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Well, my wife & I own a Wii, 360, and 2 DS systems and I have to say that the future of gaming is dead to me
    I'm the opposite. My friends and I have been playing the Wii more than classic games. Wii Sports, Zack & Wiki, Mario Kart Wii, Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection, Dr. Mario Online Rx, and World of Goo are fantastic.

Of course, there's Super Mario Galaxy, de Blob, Boom Blox, Pro Evolution Soccer, Call of Duty: World at War, Rock Band 2, and plenty of other fun games, too!

The best part is, many great Wii games cost under $35 at release (including WiiWare).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Monkeyfracker

I loves my Wii, but to be honest if you are willing to pay that kind of money for a single game, go for it. the Wii doesn't see as much play as any of my other systems, and if you have one everyon you know will force you to play wii tennis all the time. Fate worse than death man.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Well if you really want to complete your collection blow the 150 and you'll still have 100 left over to put towards the wii later. The wii is pretty cool and there is plenty to play on it to justify a purchase. I owned one for six months before selling and would like another one now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

I'm as oldschool as they come as far as gaming goes, I just recently within the past couple weeks, FINALLY stepped into the current generation. I got a VERY good deal on a 360 that I couldnt pass up. I borrowed a bunch of games from friends. I started up Lost Planet, Gears of War, Halo 3, and Call of Duty 4.
    I have to say I'm BLOWN AWAY. CoD 4 is such a beautiful game. Even without HD its a treat for the eyeballs. Gears of War is NASTY. My girlfriend cant take all the screaming and growling but even she admits it looks awsome. Lost Planet I think I can pass on, its good, but there is better stuff to play. And Halo 3 I'm saving until I get set up with live.

When I set up the 360, I had to abandon Ico and Psychonauts. SHAMEFUL I know, but I still play the DS before bed, and usually with a GBA game in it.

I"m ready to spend a little more money on my new toy. I really REALLY want to play Street Fighter IV. I'd also like to dig into Fallout 3 or Fable II.

There will still be room for the classics. The PS2 will get hooked up in the bedroom, I'll pick up Ico and Psychonauts again. I'll also be putting in the SNK Classics and Capcom Classics disks I havnt completely played through yet.

As far as having 100+ bucks to spend on new or old stuff? I can't say I'd blow the whole thing on one classic game, especially if I have something similar already. I'd keep the big bucks for either new Gen stuff, or keep on hand for when you stumble across a really good score. Like the Vectrex and 5 games I picked up off craigslist for $40. (Vectorex and games! BEFORE ATARI!!!)
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Well, no one in the family has turned the wii on since June, but I play the 360 for 3-4 hours a day, which is way more than I play older systems.
    I say get a 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by nintendoeats View Post
    I loves my Wii, but to be honest if you are willing to pay that kind of money for a single game, go for it. the Wii doesn't see as much play as any of my other systems, and if you have one everyon you know will force you to play wii tennis all the time. Fate worse than death man.
    Lol, apparently Wii Sports is the only game made according to my friends and relatives. That's all they want to play besides that new Wii Fit thingy (according to the non-gamers, lol).
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I'm the opposite. My friends and I have been playing the Wii more than classic games. Wii Sports, Zack & Wiki, Mario Kart Wii, Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection, Dr. Mario Online Rx, and World of Goo are fantastic.

Of course, there's Super Mario Galaxy, de Blob, Boom Blox, Pro Evolution Soccer, Call of Duty: World at War, Rock Band 2, and plenty of other fun games, too!

The best part is, many great Wii games cost under $35 at release (including WiiWare).
    When you think about, many of the games you mentioned - wii sports, mario kart, pinball, dr. mario, etc are basically updated ports of classic games.

I don't have a modern console. I'm an Atari collector. BUT, if I were to get a modern console, it would be a Wii simply because the type of games that I enjoy playing are on that console and those games remind me of the type of game I played as a child in the 70's and early 80's.

I don't care for FPS, RPG's and the other popular modern games but I enjoy the simpler pick up and play games that you can play with family and friends for short bursts and I think thats why I gravitate to classic games.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm not really sure what the point of this topic is, other than to make more people wonder how you can blow so much money buying classic games sealed only to open them up. :P

I have noticed around here that despite all the collectors of classic games, it seems like people still play their modern games more than anything else, going off of the daily playing topic and what have you. As for myself, it's unusual if I'm playing a game that isn't 10+ years old (even more so if it's a brand new game), and most of my game spending goes to older games as well, both because that's what I predominantly play and because I'm a cheapskate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'm not really sure what the point of this topic is, other than to make more people wonder how you can blow so much money buying classic games sealed only to open them up. :P
    I was just wondering the same thing. You also said you want to spend $150 on a new Lynx. So let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly here: are you buying all of these factory sealed/new games/systems to play or to collect? I collect factory sealed items too so I'm not looking down on you at all. But if I wanted to add Darkstalkers to my collection just to play, I wouldn't be wasting $150 on it. I'd find a nice mint affordable copy and would play that.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 12-24-2008 at 11:45 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Enjoy the games you have, however that may be. It's your money and can choose to save or spend, how it goes from there is up to you. Out right buying a game to cap off a complete set is awesome and in this hobby is a greater feat than picking up a common, modern system like the Wii. As other have said, stash the other $100 to the side as a starter towards the next big purchase.

I'm all about modern PC gaming, but consoles are all classic for me. I'll play modern console games at a friends house if it's something I'm interested it, otherwise you better have it for the PC so we can play over IPX. Whenever I see a cheap PC title I'm all over it, but I will be very picky about condition and completeness due to pack-ins, CD-keys, and so forth. The interesting thing is when I hit a pawn shop, thrift store, or game store I head straight to the console section first, then eventually hit the electronics and PC games. I've been known to skip out on the later section if the haul in the console area is large as to not jump on impulse buys over there too. Odd since I still play my computer games more frequently than console, but that can always change.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Classic gaming for me. Every new game I've purchased for 360 and PS3 I've ended up becoming disinterested in fairly quickly.

The only systems I've played any games that were any good lately were the DS and the PSP. But neither system has enough good games, even combined, to warrant saying next gen is better than classic gaming.

Anyways, there are some games that I haven't played that I recently started to play on the SNES. One is Magical Pop'n(very awesome game btw.) If I can find an old game that happens to be a great game and so much better than any other next gen 360 and PS3 game, then you can definitely bet classic gaming will be favored.

If only alot of those Japanese RPG games I've played end up getting an English translation then I'll be even happier.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    As a matter of fact a large percentage of people who are buying these new systems are doing so because they are "the thing to have" and don't enjoy them like they would with a classic system.
    that's pretty much the main reason why I want a Wii... because it just seems like EVERYONE ELSE has one, or is planning on getting one... it's definitely THE thing to have now... Wii + people = PARTY... but if it weren't for the fact that my parents got one, which gave me a real good taste of what it has to offer, I still prolly wouldn't have any intentions of getting one... I swore that I would never buy another new console again after Sega decided to stop making new consoles, and I was perfectly content without any new consoles to collect for, until the Wii truly revolutionized modern gaming... no wonder it was codenamed Revolution before it was released... they weren't kidding... the graphics are nothing special, but the gameplay IS revolutionary!

so when my parents (who are both in their 70's now) get a new console, there's something really special going on with it, and I don't wanna miss out on it... I mean I was blown away when I came home to visit them one day, and they were all excited, telling me to check out what they got... I couldn't believe it... I've been collecting consoles since the Genesis, and getting them to play all the games I think they might be interested in with me, but nothing I've ever introduced them to has ever inspired them to buy a console of their own... so that makes the Wii like some kind of miracle system or something to me... heck, my dad is playing games that seem a bit complicated to me... that is just unreal to me... and he's having a blast with it... that's the best part... they're both having a blast with it... so I know I will too, whenever I finally get one of my own... but that's just gonna have to wait a while longer

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    Well if you really want to complete your collection blow the 150 and you'll still have 100 left over to put towards the wii later. The wii is pretty cool and there is plenty to play on it to justify a purchase. I owned one for six months before selling and would like another one now.
    EXACTLY... I can always get a Wii later, when I have more money to spend on it... but I only got $250, so that's not even enough for it, after taxes... of course with taxes added it would only be $20 more, but then I'd only have one set of controllers for it, and there's no point in owning a Wii without at least 2 sets of controllers for it... sure, there's alot of party games for it where you just pass one controller from person to person, but there's alot of multiplayer games where you need to have additional controllers for it also... and that adds another $50 to the price... so now we're talking $300, just to get a Wii, plus an extra set of controlers for it... and after you add taxes to all that, now we're talking $350... so I was $100 short anyway, which made it hard to justify passing up a classic game that I desperately wanted to add to my collection, just so I could get a Wii with Wii Sports... I'd rather spend $150 on a single classic game that I really want to own and play than to spend twice that much on a single modern game like Wii Sports any day... even if the Wii would also give me the ability to own and play other modern games for it, the initial investment is still alot of money just for a pack-in like Wii Sports to play, while I wait to have enough money to get other games for it that I'd be alot more interested in... plus I really don't need to add another system to collect for now, even if most of the Wii games that I'm interested in are all only $20 apiece... there's several more expensive Wii games that I'm interested in also, and all those inexpensive $20 games add up fast... so it's a matter of waiting until my financial situation will allow me to get alot more enjoyment out of it too... and in the meantime, I still have 1000's of classic games to play, and I can get a reasonable dose of modern gaming on the PC

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post

I have noticed around here that despite all the collectors of classic games, it seems like people still play their modern games more than anything else, going off of the daily playing topic and what have you. As for myself, it's unusual if I'm playing a game that isn't 10+ years old (even more so if it's a brand new game), and most of my game spending goes to older games as well, both because that's what I predominantly play and because I'm a cheapskate.
    well, it's because I'm extremely anal about buying all of my games factory sealed, so I can open them up and have a perfect mint copy to play and preserve... and I very rarely have to spend triple digits on a classic game, because I already own most of them... I'm just filling in the few holes that still remain in my collection now, so it's no big deal to me to spend big bucks on the few games that I missed back in the day... I would've had to spend $50 on a new copy of Darkstalkers for the PS when it was first released in 1996, so I don't think it's really all that unreasonable to have to spend $100 more than that on it 12 years later... no one would've thought it was strange for me to do this back in 1996, so why should now be any different, even if it is costing me $100 more to do it? I'm still just doing what I would've done then, and it's just costing me a little more now... I think that's fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I was just wondering the samething. You also said you want to spend $150 on a new Lynx. So let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly here: are you buying all of these factory sealed/new games/systems to play or to collect? I collect factory sealed items too so I'm not looking down on you at all. But if I wanted to add Darkstalkers to my collection just to play, I wouldn't be wasting $150 on it. I'd find a nice mint affordable copy and would play that.
    I buy them to play and to collect... so having them all in absolutely pristine mint condition is very important to me... I'm the type of person whose games will all look just as new as they did when they first came out of the box, no matter how long I own them and play them... I take extremely good care of my games... so they should all hold most of their value after I open them, even if they aren't sealed anymore... I once sold about 100 or so of my PS games, and the buyers were blown away by their condition... they couldn't believe that none of them had even the faintest of scratches, they all had their manuals, and the manuals all looked like they had just been printed... that's why I do this... for all the joy that it will bring someone else someday, as well as what it does for me now... I'm very proud to be able to do it... not just for bragging rights, but just because it's nice to have alot of nice games

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    Enjoy the games you have, however that may be. It's your money and can choose to save or spend, how it goes from there is up to you. Out right buying a game to cap off a complete set is awesome and in this hobby is a greater feat than picking up a common, modern system like the Wii. As other have said, stash the other $100 to the side as a starter towards the next big purchase.

I'm all about modern PC gaming, but consoles are all classic for me. I'll play modern console games at a friends house if it's something I'm interested it, otherwise you better have it for the PC so we can play over IPX. Whenever I see a cheap PC title I'm all over it, but I will be very picky about condition and completeness due to pack-ins, CD-keys, and so forth. The interesting thing is when I hit a pawn shop, thrift store, or game store I head straight to the console section first, then eventually hit the electronics and PC games. I've been known to skip out on the later section if the haul in the console area is large as to not jump on impulse buys over there too. Odd since I still play my computer games more frequently than console, but that can always change.
    I do most of my modern gaming on the PC now too, so I agree with you 100%, except I dunno what IPX is... I felt that I was extremely lucky to find a new copy of Darkstalkers for sale now, and immediately after discovering that I had somehow missed it way back in the day to boot... that was far more amazing to me than being the bazillionth person in the world to line up for a Wii the day after Christmas... like I'd find one of those that easily... besides, I can still play the Wii whenever I come home to visit my parents, until I get one of my own... and in the meantime, I can continue buying games for it, so I'll have more to play whenever I finally do get one of my own... I did buy a Wii game with some of the rest of that money, so now I own the Wii versions of Speed Racer and Godzilla... and I have at least 6 more Wii games on my wishlist... I also placed a preorder for Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box for the PC, which is due out the day after Groundhog Day... so I guess I'm just too much of a game addict to spend $250 on a console that comes with just one game, when I could spend that same $250 on a bunch of games... more is better... and I'll definitely be getting a Wii by this time next year, if I haven't before then... meanwhile, you just have to seize the moment while you have the opportunity, or the opportunity is lost, and you're left with nothing but regrets... which is what I'd have a ton of if I had passed up that Darkstalkers game in favor of a Wii, and then wasn't able to get Darkstalkers later, when I had enough money for it again... when was the last time that anyone else saw a sealed one for sale? I bet you've seen a Wii for sale alot more recently!

anyhow, I guess that I was just curious what everyone else thought about what to do with all their Christmas money (if they got any) as far as gaming goes... last year I spent $300 on a factory sealed copy of Stellar Assault for the Saturn, just so I could open it and own it and play it too, and that was all the money that I got for Christmas... so this year I got what I wanted most alot cheaper, and I got to do alot more with the rest of my money... so before I know it, I'll be adding a Lynx and a Wii to my collection too, and most likely I'll be adding the Lynx before the Wii... I was already planning on getting a Lynx and a few games for it instead of a Wii with all that money anyway, until I discovered that completely unacceptable gaping Darkstalkers hole in my collection... I dunno how I missed getting that game years ago... I thought that I had gotten it as soon as it came out, like I did with nearly every other game I own now, so I guess that's how it happened... I just thought that I already had it... or maybe I thought that Darkstalkers and Night Warriors were the same game... that would explain it too... or maybe I just didn't see any point in owning it back in the day, since I already owned Night Warriors... I know it is kinda pointless to own both games unless you are a very serious collector, and then to spend big bucks on it to boot, but for my own peace of mind, there was nothing else I could do... it was either get that game, and fill in that hole, or obsess about not having it forever!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

i wouldnt even call new games games... They are more like alternate life experiences. I own a PS3, 360 and a Wii, and each has it's high and low point.

Wii Good/Bad Unique with old games to download / Most new games are too childish looking (bubbly)

PS3 Good/Bad Blu-Ray and lots of power and amazing games / weak multiplayer hard to find friends and communicate, nobody buys headsets or cameras, very single player oriented.

360 Good/Bad Amazing Multiplayer ( mainly because when you buy Live in a store, it comes with a headset and camera ) great games / Limited disc space with DVD, GTA IV was delayed release just to work around making it fit on 1 disc, weak solder points inside, lacks proper cooling ( silver-thermal compound the GPU and CPU if you havent already )

Sure Pay-to-play on 360 sounds like a waste of money, but when you buy it, it comes wit must have accessories and games. The only downside to one of the games in the live bundle would be Uno, people seem to like to show their testicles on the camera.

so...

PS3 - Single Player
    360 - Online Multiplayer
    Wii - Got kids? Local Multiplayer A+++

Classic gaming has quite a hold on me, I have a whole room dedicated just to it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOEan...eature=related

But i do find myself playing more new console games than old ones.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Strangedogs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    ...I'm an Atari collector.
    Me too - currently have a huge collection of Atari 5200 stuff (including 3 consoles, loads of controllers (Atari and Wico), carts, even a Multi-Cart loaded with 120 ROMS... Played on my Dreamcast last night - but the 5200 will always be the CADILLAC of retro consoles IMO. I have literally THOUSANDS I've spent on 5200 stuff including a huge CIB Cartridge Collection. I just bought $200 worth last month on Ebay...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to spend all my gaming dollars on classic games, but for the last two years I've changed. Now I mostly buy last-gen and Wii games, with a DS title here and there. I'm also buying PC games recently, which is something I never did before (I just built a new PC over the summer). It's partly due to having amassed a large number of classics. A lot of my remaining wants are expensive, and I just can't bring myself to spend over $100 on any one game. I'm a bargain hunter at heart, and I figure, as long as I have other wanted games that aren't so expensive, I might as well acquire those first. I plan to get a PS3 in the very near future also.

My actual gaming time is spread out pretty evenly between Wii, last gen, 32-bit, and 16-bit. I rarely play my 8-bit stuff anymore, and I haven't touched my Colecovision or Atari in months. I should probably sell them.
    Last edited by j_factor; 12-25-2008 at 01:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Strangedogs View Post
    Me too - currently have a huge collection of Atari 5200 stuff (including 3 consoles, loads of controllers (Atari and Wico), carts, even a Multi-Cart loaded with 120 ROMS... Played on my Dreamcast last night - but the 5200 will always be the CADILLAC of retro consoles IMO. I have literally THOUSANDS I've spent on 5200 stuff including a huge CIB Cartridge Collection. I just bought $200 worth last month on Ebay...
    Its funny you say that, since the 5200 is about the size of a Cadillac.

Insert Coin (Level 0) allyourbase's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I desperately want in on the next-gen consoles- but $$$ is a big factor. I can't easily justify 49.99 for a game I MIGHT like while that could get me roughly 4 or 5 great NES titles or 3+ SNES classics that I know I'd love. Plus, there are so many ps2 titles that I still would love to have, sitting on shelves for under $25 new, and $15 used. I always say that I'll get a wii or a ps3 when I head out, but hauling in a bunch of less expensive stuff is more rewarding. Plus the initial investment, modern gaming seems to cost an arm and a leg to a college student like me. And if I want to get some modern gaming in, I can always go to a friends house and get on some multiplayer with them.
    Earning XP since 1986
    USA SNES game count- 94
    USA NES game count- 119
    "Punch him in the mouth to stun him... Then throw your Poke'ball!" -Allyourbase

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still play my original Xbox and PS2 a lot. I had a Wii, but traded up for a 360, as it basically just sat there when there was no one else to play it. I think it's a decent multiplayer system, no doubt, but there wasn't much that I enjoyed playing myself on it other than Super Mario Galaxy and Resident Evil 4. Anyway, I must admit that I have been getting much more use out of my 360, especially Bioshock.