Thread: S. Mario Pinball Value?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default S. Mario Pinball Value?

I have a chance to buy a S. Mario Pinball, but the price is out of my league. They are asking $1700, but I feel they will move some. Anyone know what these go for? I want this thing, but money is tight and want to be able to resale this if needed. The machine is in very good shape with normal wear, nothing major. I would consider it pretty decent shape.

I guess I need a price-point that is a "sure-thing". Meaning if I need to sell it, I will have no problem moving it fast & breaking even. Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I have a chance to buy a S. Mario Pinball, but the price is out of my league. They are asking $1700, but I feel they will move some. Anyone know what these go for? I want this thing, but money is tight and want to be able to resale this if needed. The machine is in very good shape with normal wear, nothing major. I would consider it pretty decent shape.

I guess I need a price-point that is a "sure-thing". Meaning if I need to sell it, I will have no problem moving it fast & breaking even. Thanks

I got mine for $675 in perfect working condition.

I saw a private seller that had one for $1,200 before I found mine. I turned that down because I felt $1,200 was too high.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do *NOT* rely on being able to sell off vids or pins to get back money. Values can change rapidly, especially in this economy.

Especially if money is tight, don't do it.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peale View Post
    Do *NOT* rely on being able to sell off vids or pins to get back money. Values can change rapidly, especially in this economy.

Especially if money is tight, don't do it.
    Seconded.

FWIW if it's fully shopped out it's not like the seller will suddenly take $1000 unless they're desperate to unload it. Tholly got a great deal on his.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, if you haven't played a SMB Pinball I'd probably try to work them down or just hold off. There are plenty of better pinball games around that you should be able to snag for 1200-ish.

Actually. Do you know which SMB Pinball it is: regular old SMB Pinball or Mushroom World??
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

If it's Mushroom World, it's rarer, but Mushroom World is a mini table made for little kids, so you probably wouldn't want that one.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$1700 seems fairly high for that one. I'd say more like $1300 shopped out.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I'm not an expert, but I've been to enough auctions to feel confident that $1700 is way too much. I'd say between $800-$1000 is fair for a table that age, assuming it's in good condition. I suppose with the right bidders it could grab a premium, but I really don't know if it'd be that much.

That said, Peale is speaking words of wisdom. I have a friend who monitors auctions around here and it's a buyer's market right now. If I wanted to sell my Missile Command, I guarantee I'd be taking a huge loss on it versus what was paid right now and there's no guarantee that the price will ever get back to where it was. However, I don't give a shit because I didn't get it for an investement.

You want a "sure thing" price? I'm thinking $500 or less. I'd feel pretty confident that unless things really go to shit, you could drag it to auction and get $500 back. But $1700? I don't think even if prices hadn't been trending downwards that you'd get that out of it.

(Incidentally, I've played this table. It's alright. It's fun. But, I'm not enough of a Mario fan to spend that money on that table over a dozen others.)
    Last edited by Captain Wrong; 12-31-2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: clarity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong View Post
    You want a "sure thing" price? I'm thinking $500 or less. I'd feel pretty confident that unless things really go to shit, you could drag it to auction and get $500 back. But $1700? I don't even think if prices have been trending downwards that you'd get that out of it.
    I would agree that $500 or less is the sure thing price. You can look at past auctions to get an average which is going to be skewed high and not at all representative of what you could get in a hurry. (http://www.bostonpinball.biz/eBayNov2008.htm) The other thing to keep in mind is Super Mario Bros is not a 'must have' pinball title. It might mean more in this type of forum with primarily console gamers, but pinheads tend it rate it much lower, and that is going to impact it's value. On the pin forums there have been discussions about people parting out good and working machines just because they can't get enough for them.

I've got a very desirable table (Black Knight) which I shopped and restored this fall as an investment. I could break even on it instantly, but that wouldn't cover the time I invested. The original plan was to sell it by Christmas, but I held off even listing it based on all the depressed prices I was seeing. Now mind you I'm not expecting (or looking) to get top dollar for it, but based on what I saw similar condition machines sell for, it was worth more to me to hang onto it. This way I can enjoy it a bit more and hopefully when I desire to swap it out the prices will have rebounded a bit.

Bottom line: Do not let your excitement or emotions cloud your judgment into spending anywhere near $1700 for this title. You would ultimately be sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have to agree. I've got a Super Mario on the route. It's ok, but not my favorite by any means. One good thing in it's favor, however. It has basically run forever. I have had no problems to speak of with it. As far as that goes, it's been a fantastic piece. Otherwise, it's mediocre. You can get a much better pin for $1700. Pick up a Cirqus Voltaire, Theater of Magic, Fish Tales, Guns n' Roses, etc. Much more fun (imo), and probably around the same price, give or take a little. Just my 2 cents' worth.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for all the advice. He came down to $1200, but I am gonna pass. I would probably bite at $700+, but the seller is gonna need to sit on it for a few more months for that to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah....you won't be getting screwed for around $700+. $1200 is high if it isn't shopped.

I doubt you'll get anything like a GnR or a Theater of Magic for $1700 though...those have gone WAY up...especially ToM.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    Yeah....you won't be getting screwed for around $700+. $1200 is high if it isn't shopped.

I doubt you'll get anything like a GnR or a Theater of Magic for $1700 though...those have gone WAY up...especially ToM.
    Maybe not those two specifically, but there are better pins out there for the money is all I was saying.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Much better. $1700 could buy you a few good tables, if you played it right.