Thread: Hunting in the wild...I think I need a PDA... any tips???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hunting in the wild...I think I need a PDA... any tips???

I think I want to get a PDA. However, I have no interest in showing off, or spending major coin. I want to spend as little as possible, but it needs to be able to run some version of Excel (so I can have my collection listed), and some kind of address book program. Maybe an appointment type thing too.

I know I've read that a couple of you swear by this method, and I've bought a coupla dupes by accident now. :/ I collect for "all", so it's simply too much to keep in my head at this point.

I'm not averse to buying used, so feel free to mention any old PDA model you think may do the trick for me.

Thanks all!
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get an assistant willing to wear a French Maid's outfit... and be sure she looks good in it...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use the good old Palm M100 with the Document to Go software here and it work like a charm.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used a Visor by Handspring. But it is a pain to input stuff on the go. I just picked up a HP Jornada. Not as small as a Palm but it does have a keyboard on it.

On my Visor I used a program called HanDBase that was pretty good. The Jornada is Windows CE so I have Excel and Access installed so I will use those for my database.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course once you start having your game list with you whereever you go, you're going to wonder what it'd be like to take your games with you. Get a PocketPC. I have NES, GameBoy, SNES (slow), Game Gear and Atari emulators on my Dell Axim. Plus the built-in 'Pocket' Excel should be good enough for keeping track of games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a casio with windows ce...cheap got mine for $15 but it was a garage sale find...8 mb and it gets the job job...I use spreadce for windows ce...just as good as excel and fully compatible
    ~TisLord~

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

for the budget minded any of early palm or visor PDAs should do the trick. i've used a program called mobileDB list anything but mostly i'm content with a straight up text list in the memo format, mobileDB also works with excel. i'm not a big fan of complex databases, i like my records brief and accessible so i can check on a game without much hassle. i just find a suitable list of games for the system in question online then cut and paste it right into the palm memo. when i find a game i scratch it off the list, its really gratifying when you see long lists shrink over time this system is really a must if you start collecting 16 bit games, with almost every game being released for both the genesis and SNES, and in some cases the sega CD, gameboy and game gear....you know how many damn versions of NBA Jam are out there?

i taught myself to use the palm "graffiti" text entry system pretty quickly, in order to get it down cold i entered all of my NES wants by hand. now its like 2cnd nature to me and i move a lot faster than i could over a tiny keyboard. other cool palm feature include the infared beam, you can wirelessly zap your records to a fellow collector. i never go out game hunting without it, it really does make a difference, no more doubles and no more missing games due to uncertainty. heres a tip though, when you spot the games make a mental note of titles and then go look them up out of sight of the seller. nothing brings out the high prices like a gadget weilding collector
    ________
    Extreme Vaporizer
    Last edited by christianscott27; 03-23-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    . heres a tip though, when you spot the games make a mental note of titles and then go look them up out of sight of the seller. nothing brings out the high prices like a gadget weilding collector
    I will agree there!!! I made that mistake at a flea market. I thought I was unobserved when I checked my PDA but the guy looks over my shoulder and said, "You some kind a collector or something?" I could see his already inflated prices going higher.....

I use a Palm III XE (ancient I know) I also use HanDBase. It's a nice program that will let you define your fields. Simple and easy to use. I have 4 fields in mine so it's easy to make a quick check-n-see if I have a game or not. I also made another database that has all of my hardware (consoles, expansion modules, etc) and their serial numbers
    Keep It Stinky, Baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool! Thanks for the tips. Now to find a used ancient Palm. I hadn't considered simply using a notepad program. I don't "require" spreadsheet functions. If I can simply import a list from my computer in text, and then be able to check it on the go, that would probably do the trick. Even better if I can make these "graffiti notations" to it, when out and about.

I hadn't considered the "you must be a collector..Cha CHING" factor. Point taken! My poker face would have less effect with a PDA in my hand.. (and the sweat running down my forehead as I eye a SEGA CDX)

... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!