Thread: Wipeout XL for the PS1

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wipeout XL for the PS1

OK, what the hell is so good about this game? I bought it based on everyone here saying how great it was, but I REALLY don't get it. I put it in, and I have 6 tracks, with arcade mode, and 4 vehicles. No league or story mode, or am I just missing that somehow?

So I start a race up.... This is the SLOWEST looking racer I've ever seen. Not even HALF the speed of gran turismo or even F-zero on the GBA. The vehicles handle pretty well, even if they're hard to see, but the races are short, the graphics are outdated even for the PS1, and then theres the sound....

The number one thing I've heard and read about for this game is the soundtrack. Well. It sounds flat and lifeless. The sound effects are good, and there are some great bands playing, but the music sounds washed out, low volume, and distant.

What the hell am I missing here? Does it get faster somewhere somehow? Do the tracks get ANY better? Is there ANY league or story mode? Is there ANY reason for me to turn this back on?!
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally like the game, and would recommend it to people. I see what you mean about it being slower than f zero, and I agree. I guess, like most people on this board who probably recommended it to you, I played the original wipeout, and XL blew that one away so much in speed, playability, and music, I hold it in high regard. but, you are right, compared to the speed, catchy music, and style of fzero, it isn't the same: comparing apples and oranges. Sell it off and get something you do like. the lesson here is that tastes vary. No big deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not a really big deal, only paid like $7.00 including shipping. It's just that it LOOKS like a fast game, and I've heard that it was fast. Ya know, futuristic racer, electricity, great soundtrack, why the hell are they going like 50 miles per hour? (Regardless that the speedo says 150Kph.) Ahh well... Chalk up for xp I suppose.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

STEP ON THE GAS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wipeout Fusion on PS2 is plenty fast, a great update for the classic series. It's also really cheap now, and it's has a great league and challenge mode, maybe you'll find this more of what you're looking for.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up the the first wipeout this weekend for 3.00.

I remember playing a demo when the playstation was first released and thought it was a very fast cool game and was happy to pick up a copy of it.

I played it for about half and hour and I too was wondering what I had seen in the game back then.(Im gald I picked up ridge racer back then instead )
    I found the game slow and just not as smooth as I had remembered the game.

Maybe we have been spoiled by some of the next gen racers. ( I still like ridge racer )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose Dodsworth is right. I was GOING to get wipeout fusion, but heard too many good things about XL, nothing about fusion at all. Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

You don't like it!!! > Just kidding, I can see your point. However, as a HUGE fan of the series, I'll let you know why I love it so. Firstly, the design in my opinion is uber-cool, and futuristic in a way that seems almost understated. Though it apparently didn't make the cut in the "Cool Games" thread, I've never felt so cool playing a video game as I do with the Wipeout series. It makes me wanna drop some X and hit the clubs. :cig: I love the music, although I'm big into electronica/trance/etc., and I do think that XL's music in particular consists of several thoroughly overplayed tracks. Wip3out, Wipeout 64, and Wipeout Fusion all feature analog control that is butter-smooth. And if you get gold on all the tracks in Wipeout XL and work your way up to Phantom class, the speed increases ALOT. Of course, you'd have to enjoy the atmosphere and gameplay to put up with the frustration that comes with that. And there is a ton of frustration that comes in trying to master the Wipeout series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As Pete there said, you need to get golds on each track to unlock faster speed classes. First rapier, then phantom.

Good game, and a milestone for the sub-genre.

The graphics look a little rough now, which is a good example of how early 3D console graphics won't / don't age well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default WXL

You've really just scratched the surface. Keep playing.

As much as I love it, Wipeout XL is one of those games that's best appreciated as a product of its time, rather than something that's infinitely playable.

I just recently started playing Fusion again and it's fantastic.

ICE