Thread: Control Panel Painting HELP! SHould I do an OVERLAY??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Control Panel Painting HELP! SHould I do an OVERLAY??

Well, I am finished with the building of my control panel, actually its been done for several weeks just kinda have not painted it yet.

Well, anyway. I put on two nice coats of Kilz primer and bought this nice Enamel paint from Sherman Williams. I put on 4 coats of paint. I let the paint dry at least 4 hours like the guy said before I did a re-coat.

Well I was only going to do 4 coats, but I can still see the roller marks on the stupid thing. And to boot, the surface is kinda rough. I am also painting a small test piece just to mess with. I took some light sand paper and sanded the 2nd coat on the test one and then painted a coat on top and its kinda smoother. But the paint color is not as nice.

I wanted to go with the spiderman red color since it matches the cab. Would a different color work better, with no marks?

What should I do?

I am thinking about going with an overlay. I really want this thing up and running, but I DONT want a crappy paint job and then next summer take it all apart and put on an overlay.

Pics:

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y63...ame%20Cabinet/
    Last edited by Igorr; 01-04-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    Always looking to expand my Atari collection, Odyssey and etc. ESPECIALLY looking to add to my Masters of the Universe Collection See here:http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/Igorr/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is the nap of the roller you are using? That could possibly be a reason for the marks. If you cant get the paint to look like you want I would definitely go with an overlay. It is much less of a headache.

BTW if you scrap that control panel let me know I may be interested. I need a boat for fishing this spring.

Good luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TripppsK View Post
    What is the nap of the roller you are using? That could possibly be a reason for the marks. If you cant get the paint to look like you want I would definitely go with an overlay. It is much less of a headache.

BTW if you scrap that control panel let me know I may be interested. I need a boat for fishing this spring.

Good luck.
    Thanks. Hey, why the cut on my cp? You think its too big huh? Its actually not too bad. I am using a foam roller, thats what the guy said would work best at the paint store.
    Always looking to expand my Atari collection, Odyssey and etc. ESPECIALLY looking to add to my Masters of the Universe Collection See here:http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/Igorr/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am thinking about putting an overlay on top. Anyone know a good site to order or can someone here make me one?

I will have to glue it down and I wont be able to put glass on top. Help!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Igorr View Post
    Thanks. Hey, why the cut on my cp? You think its too big huh? .

Nothing serious was meant by it, just kidding around. I myself am not a huge fan of the frankenpanels, I prefer modular or swappable panels. Not everyone likes those either, but thats what makes the hobby fun. Good luck with whatever you choose to do on yours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Igorr View Post
    I am thinking about putting an overlay on top. Anyone know a good site to order or can someone here make me one?

I will have to glue it down and I wont be able to put glass on top. Help!!!

Have you tried searching the forums on arcadecontrols.com? You should definitely be able to find something there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I don't really like frankenpanels either so I see where TripppsK is comming from but yours isn't really too bad. It's when people start adding additional spinners, 12 extra buttons, a tron joystick, and paperboy handlebars that things have gone too far.

As far as an overlay though, If your using plexiglass then you shoudn't have to glue it to your control pannel. It can sit underneath and the buttons will hold it down. It looks like you alreeady have it all built so It might be harder to do at this point but you can also put on T-molding that will go to the edge of the plexi-glass. It's not really neccisary but it will look much more polished and help keep things from gettign under the glass.

I'd also suggest arcadecontrols.com. Almost any question anyone could ever possible have regaurding a "mame cab" has already been asnwered on that site.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...