Thread: 5 Most Technologically Advanced Games (from past 5 years)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default 5 Most Technologically Advanced Games (from past 5 years)

I'm not talking about games that use experimental concepts but games that use already proven gaming formulas in their respected genre. Games that have taken popular formulas from previous games, implemented them, improved upon them and made them work even better. Evolutionary games.

Games that are not only pushing the respected genre forward, but gaming forward as a whole. They may possibly even suck by many peoples standards but they have pushed gaming forward.

My picks:

Quake Wars (Multi) - It took concepts from Battlefield, Halo, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Counter Strike and basically all the popular shooters up to that time and wrapped all those ideas into one large experience that worked pretty damn well.

Gears of War (Xbox 360) - Just like many on the list, taking concepts from proven gameplay evolutions, fine tuning (duck and cover) gameplay. Even if the game is a bit of a one trick wonder it does that one trick very well, now if only this was taken to the next level and mixed with even more large and broad concepts.

Warhawk (PS3) - There is no doubt this game has technological advantages that all future games should take notes on. 4 player online/offline drop-in/drop-out, numerous gametypes, options to fine tune, flexible video settings whether you have HDTV or not and all done pitch perfect with no drops in framerate or gameplay. Smooth and fun.

World of Warcraft (PC) - No doubt about it, whether you like it or not the game evolved the genre more than any other, if for nothing else the fact that the gameplay isn't nearly as slow and repetitive. It may not be as atmospheric or exciting, but it is more accessible.

Hellgate: London (PC) - I'm gonna catch some flack for this one i'm sure, but I don't care. 3-D Diablo clone with sci-fi elements, better storyline and faster gameplay. Sure Flagship went belly up because of this project but there is no doubt it had an impact and i'm sure we will see more games like this in the future....extremely fast rpg hybrid.

So in your opinion what games are really pushing gaming forward not only by leaps but also by bounds?

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After reading your post I decided to check IGN's review for Hellgate: London because it sounded very interesting. IGN rated it pretty low (by their standards) with a 6.8 I believe. The funny thing is that everything that they bitched about could be said about the diablo games. I guess this confirms that IGN is full of crap and only give good marks to the "top" comapnies.

Anyways, on topic I would like to add:

Lego games - Started with a solid formula with SW games, and took it farther with Batman and Indiana Jones. Can't go wrong with those games (and they are usually cheap to buy).

Fallout 3 - Took just about every post apocalyptic sci fi, maybe even horror game out there, merged it with RPG style of play and make a fantastic game.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Burnout: Paradise. It has some of the best online implementation I've ever seen: smooth, uninterrupted drop in/drop out and lag free, even on PS3. I wish more games would copy it. On top of that, the whole design is inspired: it might not be 'technologically advanced' by straight definition, but it's revolutionary from a gameplay structure point of view.

Another interesting thing is how loose and open the gameplay structure is. You can choose what type of events you want to participate in to earn better licenses and more cars, and there are enough different events that you'll never have to do an event you hate. In fact, even if all you want to do is drive around, you can do that. You can play hours of Burnout Paradise and have a great time, never once participating in an event. You can hunt for billboards, secret areas, super jumps, and shortcuts and forget about 'racing'.

Even 'losing' is set up to be fun and rewarding: seeing your car explode into a cloud of broken glass and tortured metal never seems to get old, and if you want, you can even initiate 'Showtime' mode to wreak havok and take the edge off of crashing again.

Little Big Planet. It takes a lot of balls to completely reinvent the side-scrolling platformer, but Media Molecule did it. The most important aspect of LBP is the level editor, which brings accessible level design to the masses, and the level sharing feature adds a hell of a lot of replay value. Something that isn't brought up as much, but I think is noteworthy, is their DLC structure. Selling costumes and themed levels isn't new, but offering free weekly content along side the stuff for sale takes away a lot of the sting. Plus, who can resist an Old Snake sackboy, or a Ryu sackboy?

Little Big Planet also gets points for creating a platformer mascot, Sackboy, that doesn't bring out the cynic in me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

i might have to throw the new sonic unleashed out there, i just played the demo, but it was so smooth and beautiful, and ran like no game i have ever seen before, and there is so much detail in the background of what is going on. Any thoughts?
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Only that you need to play more games...
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    I'm not talking about games that use experimental concepts but games that use already proven gaming formulas in their respected genre. Games that have taken popular formulas from previous games, implemented them, improved upon them and made them work even better. Evolutionary games.
    You're looking for something other than "Technologically Advanced" games, then. Quake Wars gets a nod for its use of MegaTextures, though. That shit is pretty ninja.

I was going to say Far Cry 2 (for its realistic implementation of fire) and Crysis (for pretty much everything). Hmm, Shadow of the Colossus for its depiction of hair using limited hardware in addition to the mammoth sizes of the creatures. Oh, and iRacing.com for its amazing racing physics, interface, structure, networking, etc.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OK.

I'd give a nod to Wii Sports and Wii Play for their use of motion controls. Mario Galaxy is also ingenious with its enviornments.

I think God of War 2 and also on the PSP were incredible creations. The Colossus was very impressive for the PS2 hardware.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band deserve consideration.

Then there is the Viewtiful Joe, Okami, No More Heroes (trilogy). Assuming artistry in gameplay can be consider technological...

Just some thoughts; I think I agree with what everyone else has said as well.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bangai-O DS for the custom level sharing feature.

Korg DS-10 for fitting a classic piece of hardware (Korg MS-10) onto a tiny cart and played on a handheld system. Throwing in the wireless connectivity to up to 7 other units for linked simultaneous playback and creating. It's feels so futuristic and so classic all at once. It's truly awesome.

I haven't seen anyone bring up PSHome... has it not been released yet? Did it flop or something?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I'll have to second Burnout Paradise, it truly is an amazing game. I'm not a big racing fan outside Mario Kart type racers (combat racers I guess?), since most normal racing games eventually rely on doing everything perfect to win, but I am currently addicted to Burnout Paradise. The whole open world aspect is done to perfection, you are never forced to do a race you do not want to do and if you're in a race you no longer want to do, you can simply stop to get out of it.

Being able to explore the entire city, which is also your race course, was an ingenious idea. The more exploring you do, the more familiar you get with the city, the better you get at the races. Having the city as your own personal playground also helps you get more familiar with the cars, so you'll easily be able to figure out which car better suits your driving style.

Did I mention that the city is very big and surprisingly detailed? They put a lot of work in creating the city, so nothing ever seems bland, nor does it ever feel overwhelming, they made it as big as it needed to be.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gears of War 2 is the best looking game that's come out to date, I'd say. On consoles. Crysis, because it looks ridiculous if you have the hardware to run it.

Halo 2 ushered in the online era for consoles; there were a lot of games before it, but people bought XBL and got broadband just to play this game. Made online multiplayer a requirement in practically every game. I mean, shit, we have multiplayer in basically every f'in game, even if it's primarily single player.

Fallout 3 takes what Deus Ex and Oblivion started, mashes them up and makes a hell of a complex (and wonderful) game out of it.

Little Big Planet is impressive because of the level editor -- something rarely seen (so fleshed out, at least) on consoles. Consolation prize to Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts in this area; lots of room for customization.
    Last edited by unwinddesign; 01-04-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Crysis

Crysis Warhead

Next Crysis sequel

Crysis after that

Crysis returns....again
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.