Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The GreenRanqer

Default A question about Donkey Kong

Is Donkey Kong Junior the Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong Country/N64 game/Mario Tennis/Diddy Kong Racing/Smash Bros etc? The original Donkey Kong came out in 81 with Donkey Kong as the Villan, who had captured a blonde (princess peach?) and mario was off to save her. In the end, DK hits his head (assuming we're not talking about kill screeens) Then came Mario Bros, a game were mario was in the mushroom kingdom and peach had been captured again? is that right so far? Then king kuppa AKA Bowser steps in and takes on the as the main mario villian over the past years. Take it back to Donkey Kong. Mario is captured, and Donkey Kong jr comes to save the day. Did donkey kong become a good guy after the 3 original games, and DK jr is Diddy or the oaf from DKC3... or is DK jr what we know now as Donkey Kong? (Yes I am aware of Rare taking over the DK franc. from Nintendo, and that being the reason for the massive concept change of DK) but I wanna know if they ever released a back story to this change, a little "explain away"... or if you guys have theories. I always assumed DK jr became DK, but it was recently brought to my attention that all those bumps we put on DKs head might have messed with his head and knocked his coincence into play. (which would explain the games nintendo had planed to make where you could control mario/dk in the 80's, but never left pre-production)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

There is only one "Donkey Kong".

He has a son, Donkey Kong Jr. ... and there are other "Kongs" from the Donkey Kong country series, but as far as I know, Donkey Kong has only "evloved" from a visual design standpoint the same way that Mario has over the years.

There's no hidden mythology in his back-story claiming that Dk Jr. "grew up" at any point and took over his dad's business.

In fact, now that I think about it - Donkey Kong Jr. is in a few Mario Kart games alongside current-day Donkey Kong, which, if we were tracing time lines would certainly be cannon with the current-day Mario games/stories.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I'm pretty sure that the Kong in the first country game was a second cousin, twice removed.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DJTrueStory View Post
    I wanna know if they ever released a back story to this change, a little "explain away"... or if you guys have theories.
    There was a second spitter behind the bushes on the gravelly road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, just as an FYI, in the original Donkey Kong I'm pretty sure the big ape stole some girl named Pauline, not Princess Peach.

Yep, just Wiki'd it to make sure I'm not making stuff up. The carpenter Jumpman must save his girlfriend Pauline from his mistreated pet monkey who ran away with her.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know the DK from DKC on is DK .Jr. before that it is now known as Cranky Kong(R.I.P).
    Last edited by CDiablo; 01-04-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DJTrueStory View Post
    Is Donkey Kong Junior the Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong Country/N64 game/Mario Tennis/Diddy Kong Racing/Smash Bros etc? The original Donkey Kong came out in 81 with Donkey Kong as the Villan, who had captured a blonde (princess peach?) and mario was off to save her. In the end, DK hits his head (assuming we're not talking about kill screeens) Then came Mario Bros, a game were mario was in the mushroom kingdom and peach had been captured again? is that right so far? Then king kuppa AKA Bowser steps in and takes on the as the main mario villian over the past years. Take it back to Donkey Kong. Mario is captured, and Donkey Kong jr comes to save the day. Did donkey kong become a good guy after the 3 original games, and DK jr is Diddy or the oaf from DKC3... or is DK jr what we know now as Donkey Kong? (Yes I am aware of Rare taking over the DK franc. from Nintendo, and that being the reason for the massive concept change of DK) but I wanna know if they ever released a back story to this change, a little "explain away"... or if you guys have theories. I always assumed DK jr became DK, but it was recently brought to my attention that all those bumps we put on DKs head might have messed with his head and knocked his coincence into play. (which would explain the games nintendo had planed to make where you could control mario/dk in the 80's, but never left pre-production)
    No! The girl Mario rescued in DK was Pauline. Mario was the bad guy in DKJ. Stan the bugman is in DK3, no Mario at all. You also forgot regular Mario Bros., where he becomes a plumber. Finally, DK is still DK. I know it's 1981, but virtually all video game characters don't age. Look at Mario 28 years later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was under the impression that Cranky Kong was the original DK, and that DK Jr. never factored in at all in Rare's games.

See here for all of the details you could possibly ever want. (And then stop speculating. )
    http://themushroomkingdom.net/kongtroversy.shtml
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

In years to come The Donkey Kong family tree will look like that of Donald Duck.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I was under the impression that Cranky Kong was the original DK, and that DK Jr. never factored in at all in Rare's games.

See here for all of the details you could possibly ever want. (And then stop speculating. )
    Holy shit.

That's way too much detective work (based largely on way too much unclear in-game back-storytelling via Nintendo and Rare).

Reminds me of this thread on the G4TV forums back in the day where this one user would write page-long diatribes about how he insisted (and wouldn't take no for an answer) that Metroid Zero was a prequel to the original Metroid and not a refresh/re-telling to the point where they actually brought it up on the "X-Play" TV show (which wasn't even a daily taped open-format style show like Screen Savers/Attack of the Show) and told him, emphatically, that he was wrong and to shut the hell up.

It didn't stop him.

When I see questions like the DK one in this thread that I would assume are pretty cut/dry ... and then read that Kongtroversy page ... I'm outa here, not getting involved.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

I suspect the true answer is the one Miyamoto would give: namely, that DK is DK, and that Rare can go to hell.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I was under the impression that the original DK became Cranky... then came DK and Diddy - meaning that possibly "DK Jr." is now the tie-wearing Donkey Kong
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The GreenRanqer

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    No! The girl Mario rescued in DK was Pauline. Mario was the bad guy in DKJ. Stan the bugman is in DK3, no Mario at all. You also forgot regular Mario Bros., where he becomes a plumber. Finally, DK is still DK. I know it's 1981, but virtually all video game characters don't age. Look at Mario 28 years later.
    Technically Speaking "Mario" didn't rescue "Pauline", Jumpman rescued Pauline. Later Mario (aka Mr. Video Game in japan) got his name, Peach/Pauline have the same name in Japan (as far as I know) it's only American's/Enlish speaking folk who changed it up for marketing reasons, but as far as I know they're the same princess from the same Mushroom Kingdom. While mario hasn't aged, mario also doesn't normally evolve as a character, and when he does, he can age (aka Baby Mario from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island) And I didn't forget when Mario became a plumber, that's the whole point of all of this. Mario gone plumber to fight kuppas is what left DK as a bad guy forever, the question is what happened to DK.

DK went through a massive evolution as a character, so either it can be written off as "rare bought it, no backstory" or "DK = Cranky, DK jr = DK now" or some other variation of that sort.

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    As far as I know the DK from DKC on is DK .Jr. before that it is now known as Cranky Kong(R.I.P).
    See... this is what I thought, and it seems to be the thought of some people on here who have thousands of posts... so I'm not completely crazy XD

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post

That's a very good point, however if Cranky = DK, then unless DK has a brother, DK today = DK Junior. That website is amazing, thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW View Post
    I suspect the true answer is the one Miyamoto would give: namely, that DK is DK, and that Rare can go to hell.
    XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

There is also Donkey Kong Jr. from the NES days in Donkey Kong Jr. Math.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_Jr._Math

An in Donkey Kong Jr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_...or_(video_game)
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Peach and Pauline are two distinct characters, not the same character.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The GreenRanqer

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    Peach and Pauline are two distinct characters, not the same character.
    Hmmm, I do believe you're right. I've been reading up on it and this seems to be the common concensus (which begs the question why have they only put Daisy/Peach in games like Mario Tennis/Smash Bros) But the fact that it's a different girl also proves that it's in a different time (as mario has a different occupation, and as far as we know isn't a player) Which, assuming peach came after Pauline, would put this DK adventure in a previous time from Current day gaming time (with mario as a plumber and DK as a hero) Which might suggest that DK from DKC is DK jr, making Cranky the OG Kong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

But recall what you said earlier: Mario did not rescue Pauline - Jumpman rescued Pauline.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The GreenRanqer

Quote Originally Posted by theChad View Post
    But recall what you said earlier: Mario did not rescue Pauline - Jumpman rescued Pauline.
    Jumpman is Mario (who is also Mr. Video Game) who is also the face of nintendo. You missed my point. My point is if Jumpman = Mario (which is deffinatly true) then it's also possible that pauline was a early model of peach. But as I looked into it, it seems while all the creators have claimed Jumpan is deffinatly mario, virtually noone has put a link between pauline and peach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is DK in any way related to Bongo from Congo Bongo?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Just check this Wikipedia page, it pretty much sorts it all out. Make sure to read the references and it's pretty clear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_(character)