Thread: "Backboned" enters the common vernacular!

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Default "Backboned" enters the common vernacular!

Some of you on DP are aware of how utterly borked the PS3 version of(deep breath) Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix is. The net code is crap, there are freeze bugs and weird graphical glitches... You get the gist. The 360 version is a little better, but not by much.

My friends and I have long described any crappy game on XBL as being "backboned", in honor of the crappy licensed games that Backbone Entertainment spews out on there. I submit Shrek'N Roll Racing as a good example. The original definition also included poorly done ports by Digital Eclipse since they're owned by the same parent company(Foundation Nine).

The term has spread amongst my friends to include any game that ships broken, whether it was developed by an F9 company or not. Several of them(and a few acquaintances on other forums) have tried submitting the term to Urban Dictionary, without result.

Until today. Behold.

Next up: Backboner, where you love a game even though it is broken. For example:

"I have a huge Backboner for Lair. I don't know why".
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 01-05-2009 at 05:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Being submitted to urbarn dictionary is hardly the same as entering the common vernacular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I put on wikipedia that I had the biggest penis in the universe.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'm always fascinated by games (and it's usually fighting games) that I find to be well made, that get positive critical press ...

... and then I find out that a segment of enthusiasts of said game/series find it to be less-than-stellar quality.

You really think that SSF2THD has bad online play? I found it to be very enjoyable and smooth on PS3.

Sure, it's not perfect, but as far as 2D fighters go, it's CERTAINLY better than the previous XBL incarnation of Street Fighter II Championship Edition, no?

I'm no SF expert, but I've been playing the series since Street Fighter 1 and while I can't frame-count or anything, I'm not sure what would be considered "borked" about it.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm not sure what's so terrible about Backbone Entertainment, but theres nothing wrong with what its parent, Foundation 9, and divisions like Digital Eclipse, Sumo Digital, and Backbone create. A lot of good classic collections and original games have came out of Foundation 9's studios.

For every Yaris they've made, there's several nice classic collections and remakes that they've created. I think the dislike for Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix and Backbone Entertainment isn't very widespread outside of small groups like your friends.

While I'm not always completely pleased with portions of their final products, it usually comes off as more a fault of deadlines placed by publishers that contract development to companies within Foundation 9, rather than the developers themselves. The rushed and poor emulation of Wizard of Wor on MAT2 is one such example that was caused by Midway's strict deadlines and short development time, rather than the progammers at Digital Eclipse not being able to accurately emulate it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-05-2009 at 10:12 AM.