Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    What source are you taking this info from? How big is the return rate compared to how many people that have bought the products?
    First hand in the store. Remember, I work at Sears and I see these returns daily. I work in the electronics section, which involves TVs and cameras. I am a sales person there. Plus I have to deal with irate customers who come complaining when this happens...which gets annoying, so I basically look at who sold the item to them and I redirect them with the same associate.

This is pure speculation/approximation, but I would say around 60% of what is sold is Sony stuff. Around perhaps 45%-%50 (of the after mentioned 60%) percent are returned and marked as "991", or used merchandise. This in turn is resold as a "slightly" lower price. I write "slightly" because some times the lower price for it being used is HIGHER. Dunno how administration thinks, to be honest... boggles the mind

Sure, there are many stuborn people that only want a particlar brand like Sony as you mention, but why do they want a Sony TV in the first place? Where did they get this idea from that Sony is the best? If they think that Sony TVs are the best, and then they come home and see that the quality isnt good enough, at last compared to their expecations, is it then likely that they will still think that Sony is the best?
    Not always. I've had customers come to me and say "Busco Sony porque mi novia me dijo que es la mejor marca" (I am looking for Sony because my girlfriend told me it was the best brand) or "Busco Sony porque todos en el trabajo tienen Sony y quiero la misma" (I'm looking for Sony because everyone at work has them and I want the same one). It's rare for me to get customers that want Sony because of personal experience (an item they once had). And in some circumstances, I've had the same customers come to me with a return stating "No entiendo porque esta salio mala si yo he tenido Sony y no se me han danado" (I don't understand why it turned out damaged since I've had Sony and they've never gotten damaged)

I'm not saying all Sony's are bad, because most returns are because of stupid ass reasons customers have, I believe many times because they can't pay for it. But I have to admit that a big number of the returns are products that either don't meet expectations or something happened to it. This was specially true with Cybershot S650 and onward.

As you say, people return the TV and say their new product failed to meet their expectations, which makes me assume that after an experience like this they dont think that Sony is the best anymore. Wouldnt this translate to bad word to mouth?
    I have to admit that many returns, as stated previously, is simply because of stupid reasons customers give. This is why Sears, and many other stores, will reinstate the 15% restocking fee (it was taken out for some time). Why? To prevent unfair returns. Heck, many products were simply used ONE time and returned for no apparent reason! For example...a PPV boxing match. People would purchase an LCD TV just to see the fight and return it because "it didn't meet their expectations". But I can tell these apart, specially when I ask whether they want an exchange or a different model, and they simply want their money back. Honest returns I can identity faily quickly too, most being that the customer wants something else.

There are tricks one learns when working so long in retail.

I personally try NOT to sell Sony products, because of what has happened in the past. So far, I've had great success. Of course, if a customer wants a particular Sony model, I can't refuse the sale because I loose money and I can loose my job (bait and switch). But I am on the pessimist side: I always expect the customer to return it back. It does happen form time to time. But since I don't focus on Sony, my return rate is extremely low, which means better performance for me and more $$$ in my pocket.

But you are right: this should, in theory, cause sales to lower for Sony. But remember that many are masochists when it comes to brand name: they stick to it no matter what happens. I've had customers return many Olevia TVs and STILL want Olevia TVs. But hey, it's their problem.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*Here comes a relatively long reply, sorry*

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    No it wasn't the only Sony TV, and yes the price was clearly marked. This was definitely one of their high-end units.

And anyone buying a TV without seeing it in action is kind of shooting themselves in the foot. Even if Sony is the best their low-end TV isn't going to match a high-end Samsung or comparable brand. Don't buy for the brand, buy for the actual product.
    Ok Ye, i agree, i also think people should check out the picture quality on the TV (especially if the TV is relatively expencive) first before they buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    First hand in the store. Remember, I work at Sears and I see these returns daily. I work in the electronics section, which involves TVs and cameras. I am a sales person there. Plus I have to deal with irate customers who come complaining when this happens...which gets annoying, so I basically look at who sold the item to them and I redirect them with the same associate.
    If it is based on experience from one store, then i would say this is anecdotal evidence, or do you have some sales and/or return data from other Sears stores too? I am not saying that what you write isnt the case in the store that you are working in, but you wrote previously that this situation about the Sony returns was in every other store. Anecdotal evidence might be how the situation(s) is in the market in general, but without any other evidence, i think that anecdotal evidence isnt enough to to see how the situation is in the market in general.

This is pure speculation/approximation, but I would say around 60% of what is sold is Sony stuff. Around perhaps 45%-%50 (of the after mentioned 60%) percent are returned and marked as "991", or used merchandise. This in turn is resold as a "slightly" lower price. I write "slightly" because some times the lower price for it being used is HIGHER. Dunno how administration thinks, to be honest... boggles the mind
    45%-50% out of 60% sounds alot, but that might be the case, unfortunately i have no idea :\ Do you know how many percentage of the stuff that your store is selling that are Sony branded?

The price for used stuff is higher than the price for the new and same stuff? If so, that is crazy indeed hehe

Not always. I've had customers come to me and say "Busco Sony porque mi novia me dijo que es la mejor marca" (I am looking for Sony because my girlfriend told me it was the best brand) or "Busco Sony porque todos en el trabajo tienen Sony y quiero la misma" (I'm looking for Sony because everyone at work has them and I want the same one). It's rare for me to get customers that want Sony because of personal experience (an item they once had). And in some circumstances, I've had the same customers come to me with a return stating "No entiendo porque esta salio mala si yo he tenido Sony y no se me han danado" (I don't understand why it turned out damaged since I've had Sony and they've never gotten damaged)
    Ye, as you say, some people might buy Sony branded products just because their girlfriend or people at their work says that Sony is the best brand, but what about that girlfriend and those people at the work, where did they get the idea that Sony is the best brand? The understanding that Sony is the best brand must come from some place, where can it come from?

I'm not saying all Sony's are bad, because most returns are because of stupid ass reasons customers have, I believe many times because they can't pay for it. But I have to admit that a big number of the returns are products that either don't meet expectations or something happened to it. This was specially true with Cybershot S650 and onward.
    Ye, i am not saying that every Sony product is good just to underline that. Sony has alot of products, so some of them are probably bound to not be so good. And as you say, there are probably some people that buy Sony branded products and that these products arent meeting people's expectations. I would think that this depends on what kind of expectations people have to the product(s). For example, if you buy a cheap TV, are people then expecting to get a crystal clear picture like the more high end TVs have?

I have to admit that many returns, as stated previously, is simply because of stupid reasons customers give. This is why Sears, and many other stores, will reinstate the 15% restocking fee (it was taken out for some time). Why? To prevent unfair returns. Heck, many products were simply used ONE time and returned for no apparent reason! For example...a PPV boxing match. People would purchase an LCD TV just to see the fight and return it because "it didn't meet their expectations". But I can tell these apart, specially when I ask whether they want an exchange or a different model, and they simply want their money back. Honest returns I can identity faily quickly too, most being that the customer wants something else.
    Ye, some people are just returning the stuff for stupid reasons. We have a store chain where i live (in Scandinavia) that allows 30 days full return on their stuff (with some exceptions, like if you buy a game and remove the plastic seal, then you cant return it), so i guess people are taking advantage of this return system, but i dont know how many people that is doing this, or if it is many people that takes advantage of this return system.

There are tricks one learns when working so long in retail.

I personally try NOT to sell Sony products, because of what has happened in the past. So far, I've had great success. Of course, if a customer wants a particular Sony model, I can't refuse the sale because I loose money and I can loose my job (bait and switch). But I am on the pessimist side: I always expect the customer to return it back. It does happen form time to time. But since I don't focus on Sony, my return rate is extremely low, which means better performance for me and more $$$ in my pocket.
    How are the returns on the other brands? If people are returning stuff they dont want as you mentioned earlier, is this affecting the other brands as well?

But you are right: this should, in theory, cause sales to lower for Sony. But remember that many are masochists when it comes to brand name: they stick to it no matter what happens. I've had customers return many Olevia TVs and STILL want Olevia TVs. But hey, it's their problem.
    Ye, there are people who stick to a partical brand (or brands), i belive that too, but i just wanted to question if people are buying Sony products just because they are under the impression that Sony has good products, while the Sony products arent good

You first said something like that the only reason why Sony products are selling was because that "it's Sony, so it has to be good". I understood this that you ment that the Sony products werent of good quality and that it was the Sony brand alone that made the Sony product sellnot because that people actually found Sony products to be good. If this isnt what you ment, then i am sorry for the missunderstanding. That is why i asked all the question to see what you ment

But after reading the replies from you, then i know what you mean. Thanks for the answers!
    Last edited by jajaja; 01-13-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Ok Ye, i agree, i also think people should check out the picture quality on the TV (especially if the TV is relatively expencive) first before they buy it.
    At the store, they do! But for some odd reason, they start complaining about "the picture is not as bright as it is here". The problem here is that many customers expect the image to be EXACTLY like the one they see in the store, not knowing they need an HDTV signal. And even when one tells them, it is as though they forget or they don't pay attention...

If it is based on experience from one store, then i would say this is anecdotal evidence, or do you have some sales and/or return data from other Sears stores too? I am not saying that what you write isnt the case in the store that you are working in, but you wrote previously that this situation about the Sony returns was in every other store. Anecdotal evidence might be how the situation(s) is in the market in general, but without any other evidence, i think that anecdotal evidence isnt enough to to see how the situation is in the market in general.
    Good question. At least we (as in the employees) can see what all other stores in the area have sold EXCEPT those that are independent franchises. Since they don't belong to the main company, data is not available from those stores. However, all other stores are *basically* the same (a few differences here and there, but nothing mayor), however it should be noted that the store I work in, and two other stores...the ones that make the most sales...suffer more from Sony returns than any of the other stores. Perhaps it's because of high volume sales, which could also mean high amount of returns.

I don't know about other stores, like Walmart and Costco. Would like to find out, but I don't think management will tell me if I ask them "Hey, how's your return rate?" I think they will kick me out if the store

45%-50% out of 60% sounds alot, but that might be the case, unfortunately i have no idea :\ Do you know how many percentage of the stuff that your store is selling that are Sony branded?
    In the electronics division, around 60% sold is Sony stuff, give or take. Of course, this is because most of the items in stock are from Sony! This doesn't apply to the appliances division, since most of the items there are from Kenmore/Galaxy. But I am pretty sure that returns are based to sales volume: the more you sell, the more returns are to occur. It's pretty much inevitable.

The price for used stuff is higher than the price for the new and same stuff? If so, that is crazy indeed hehe
    Here is an example, but be prepared to laugh like crazy! A camera is on special for $100, original price being $170. The item is purchased during this special and eventually returned. It is put up for sale again, but for $150, not $100. Why? Because they take into consideration the MSRP value instead of the special value! What's even funnier is when the price drops in price (normal price drop, not a special price) to the point that the normal price is cheaper than the "used" price!

[quote]Ye, as you say, some people might buy Sony branded products just because their girlfriend or people at their work says that Sony is the best brand, but what about that girlfriend and those people at the work, where did they get the idea that Sony is the best brand? The understanding that Sony is the best brand must come from some place, where can it come from?[/quote[

I'm guessing becuase of past experiences. Maybe they had an old TV or radio that worked great for years, so they recommend it for their friends and families. And I gotta admit, Sony stuff back them were infinitely better than the stuff they make now. But that's pretty much the same for all electronic equipment (IMO, all items made now are...finicky...they don't last as long).

For example, if you buy a cheap TV, are people then expecting to get a crystal clear picture like the more high end TVs have?
    YES! And what is even funnier is the fact that many buy $4,000 TVs just to watch ONE channel THROUGH THE AIR!! Then they come back to the store complaining that their crappy program looks like shit. I will be honest...I sometimes want to laugh in their faces, but I don't just to be respectful.

How are the returns on the other brands? If people are returning stuff they dont want as you mentioned earlier, is this affecting the other brands as well?
    Although I refuse to sell TVs anymore, I do see the returns. I would say Vizio and Sylvania are the next in line for returns. A shame too, since those are good brands. Most of the times they return it for stupid reasons, or they simply don't know how to use it. Or people purchase it expecting the same quality of that of a more expensive TV. For instance, some return Vizio TVs (32" LCD for $500) just because it doesn't look as good as a $4,000 60" Sony LCD. People are idiots.

You first said something like that the only reason why Sony products are selling was because that "it's Sony, so it has to be good". I understood this that you ment that the Sony products werent of good quality and that it was the Sony brand alone that made the Sony product sellnot because that people actually found Sony products to be good. If this isnt what you ment, then i am sorry for the missunderstanding. That is why i asked all the question to see what you ment
    It's not about the quality per se, but due to people's mentality. It's virtually getting married to a particular brand. Many of the customers say the "It's Sony, so it has to be good" because in their eyes, Sony can do nothing else than excellent products. But this is actually a blind perception because other companies, like Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung all make equal or better products. But oh well...that's up to the customer.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow a drop in stock. Not suprising considiring all the psp hackers there are who can download any game they want so they dont heve to pay and not to mention the PS3 is so damn expensive that not as many people bought taht as the ps2 or psp so the games are'nt selling as well as they used to. I just hope sony dosn't go to far under before they finish making final fantasy dissidia for psp. After that, i could care less what hapens to sony

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sony eh?
    Betamax, Mini Disc, and oh this was good:

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Itachi_the_fallen_god View Post
    Wow a drop in stock. Not suprising considiring all the psp hackers there are who can download any game they want so they dont heve to pay and not to mention the PS3 is so damn expensive that not as many people bought taht as the ps2 or psp so the games are'nt selling as well as they used to. I just hope sony dosn't go to far under before they finish making final fantasy dissidia for psp. After that, i could care less what hapens to sony
    Dissidia has been out for a a while in Japan, and Sony didn't make it. Also, these sensationalist threads are so stupid. It's not like Sony is the only company losing money in this shitty economy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Sony

I remember the Sony TV ads in the 90's : "Es un Sony" ("It's a Sony") with a Japanese accent in the announcer proudly voicing the ad.

I have always tried a wide range of products before i buy and I've ended up with Sony Products most of the times.

My 2 "point and shoot" cameras are Sony and they do a magnificent job, one costed 499 usd and the second costed 179 usd; i cannot expect similar performance because one is much more expensive but i use it for simpler things and i get the job done.

Same with the Sony TVs, i remember the CRT days when the WEGA was unmatched in too many models and today they have much more competence but the higher end products are usually the best.

Today i am going to buy a TV for the living room and the competitors are a High End Sony Bravia and a Samsung LED Tv
    Last edited by eskobar; 01-13-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: +
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Sony eh?
    Betamax, Mini Disc, and oh this was good:
    Are those diskettes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Sony has become just another commodity electronics brand (with the exception of TV's). Here is a list of better quality products(and many time lower priced) than Sony products(Does not include game systems because due to significant differences in product types and tastes):

1. Walkman = Zune, Samusung Players
    2. Cameras = Canon, Nikon
    3. Vaio = Lenovo, Apple (if that's your thing), Asus
    4. Video Cameras = Canon, Samsung
    5. GPS (Sony GPS's are a disaster) = Garmin, Magellan, Tom Tom
    6. Memory Stick = Any other non proprietary media standard.

Sony WAS my favorite brand years ago but I have found MANY other brands that give me a better quality product at a better price. Sure, Sony isn't a bad brand but they certainly are not better than the competition.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

dendawg asks: Are those diskettes?

3" CDs

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I buy a lot of Sony stuff, and so does my friend. We aren't exclusive PS3 fanboys....but we're happy with the console, same as we were with our PSXs, PS2s and PSPs. Funny enough, he'll be the first to tell you that my Sharp Aquos beats his Bravia, and I'll agree.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"extraordinary items". Sounds fun. Anybody have any idea what this means?

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First hand in the store. Remember, I work at Sears and I see these returns daily.
    "Way to make a guitar, Sears."

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here comes another long post from me =)

At the store, they do! But for some odd reason, they start complaining about "the picture is not as bright as it is here". The problem here is that many customers expect the image to be EXACTLY like the one they see in the store, not knowing they need an HDTV signal. And even when one tells them, it is as though they forget or they don't pay attention... lol
    Ye, if they dont have a HDTV signal the picture/broadcast on the TV will be worse indeed compared to they had a HDTV signal It is a pity that not everyone seems to realize this, since i guess there are several of people who got a HDTV at home, but they are still using a non-HDTV signal.

Does stores in general run their TV on the standard factory settings by the way?

Good question. At least we (as in the employees) can see what all other stores in the area have sold EXCEPT those that are independent franchises. Since they don't belong to the main company, data is not available from those stores. However, all other stores are *basically* the same (a few differences here and there, but nothing mayor), however it should be noted that the store I work in, and two other stores...the ones that make the most sales...suffer more from Sony returns than any of the other stores. Perhaps it's because of high volume sales, which could also mean high amount of returns.
    Ok Ye, if Sony products are of a higher volume, i would guess there is a bigger chance to get more Sony products returned.

I don't know about other stores, like Walmart and Costco. Would like to find out, but I don't think management will tell me if I ask them "Hey, how's your return rate?" I think they will kick me out if the store
    Hehe ye, maybe You dont have to ask for my sake, i was just wondering if you had any info at the moment regarding the return of Sony products =)

In the electronics division, around 60% sold is Sony stuff, give or take. Of course, this is because most of the items in stock are from Sony! This doesn't apply to the appliances division, since most of the items there are from Kenmore/Galaxy. But I am pretty sure that returns are based to sales volume: the more you sell, the more returns are to occur. It's pretty much inevitable.
    Ye, that is true, i agree =) I think that a store that has 60% of one brand (in this case Sony) sounds like a pretty big share. I think that Sony has alot of different products though, so maybe that is why there are more Sony products in the store compared to other brands?

Here is an example, but be prepared to laugh like crazy! A camera is on special for $100, original price being $170. The item is purchased during this special and eventually returned. It is put up for sale again, but for $150, not $100. Why? Because they take into consideration the MSRP value instead of the special value! What's even funnier is when the price drops in price (normal price drop, not a special price) to the point that the normal price is cheaper than the "used" price! lol lol
    Haha Good luck on selling that used (or atleast returned, was the camera used by the way?) camera to a higher price that a new camera, i dont know if there is anything more i can say about that case hehe =)

I'm guessing becuase of past experiences. Maybe they had an old TV or radio that worked great for years, so they recommend it for their friends and families. And I gotta admit, Sony stuff back them were infinitely better than the stuff they make now. But that's pretty much the same for all electronic equipment (IMO, all items made now are...finicky...they don't last as long).
    Ye, i think that sounds like a highly plausible reason, i agree, that the older Sony stuff were better than the new one. My parents has a Sony vinyl player from the 1970s or so, and that vinyl player still works today. I was at my parents' house earlier and we actually tested that vinyl player today (or yesterday since the time is past midnight now) since my dad had hooked the vinyl player up to a new receiver that he had bought, and the vinyl player still worked fine =)

I wouldnt say that i really have THAT much experience with Sony products in general though, but from what i have tested out of different Sony products, i would say that i have been satisfied, at least from what i can remember =) The only serious problem i can remember having with a Sony product is that my Playstation 3 stopped reading discs a while ago. I was covered by warranty so it was no problem, except that i had to wait for like 4-5 weeks. But i think it was "ok", my Playstation 3 is working now at least =)

And maybe i had an old portable CD player from Sony that stopped working, but i can recall if that was a Sony CD player or if it stopped working :\ It was maybe 10-15 years ago. But other than this i cant recall any serious problems with the Sony products that i have tested. Maybe i have been lucky when it comes to Sony products and how they work? =)

YES! And what is even funnier is the fact that many buy $4,000 TVs just to watch ONE channel THROUGH THE AIR!! Then they come back to the store complaining that their crappy program looks like shit. I will be honest...I sometimes want to laugh in their faces, but I don't just to be respectful.
    It is a pity to hear that :\ I wish that people knew alittle better what they were buying and what they could expect from the product. Then it might have been less returns.

Hehe, paying $4,000 for a TV just to watch one channel through the air doesnt seem like a good buy indeed, then it would probably be more economic to buy a cheaper TV =) I can understand that you want to laugh at them then. What do you tell them by the way, that they need a HDTV decoder or something?

Although I refuse to sell TVs anymore, I do see the returns. I would say Vizio and Sylvania are the next in line for returns. A shame too, since those are good brands. Most of the times they return it for stupid reasons, or they simply don't know how to use it. Or people purchase it expecting the same quality of that of a more expensive TV. For instance, some return Vizio TVs (32" LCD for $500) just because it doesn't look as good as a $4,000 60" Sony LCD. People are idiots. lol
    Ok, thanks for the info! Ye, i agree, it is a shame that people are returning the stuff :\
    Hehe, it is a pity that some people dont know that a 32" LCD for $500 wont give the same picture quality as a $4,000 60" Sony LCD =( But hopefully they will at least know after they have returned the TV. I guess that all these returns leads to much "unnecessary" work?

It's not about the quality per se, but due to people's mentality. It's virtually getting married to a particular brand. Many of the customers say the "It's Sony, so it has to be good" because in their eyes, Sony can do nothing else than excellent products. But this is actually a blind perception because other companies, like Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung all make equal or better products. But oh well...that's up to the customer.
    Ah ok, i first thought you ment that people were returning the Sony products because they wernt satisfied with their products. And with "satisfied" i mean realisticly expectations, like that the quality on the Sony products are poor in general, for example that the Sony TVs got poor a picture and other things compared to other TV brands. With "satisfied" i am not thinking about that people arent satisfied with a $500 US dollars Sony LCD TV because they expected the same picture quality as a $4,000 US dollars Sony LCD TV, because when that is the case, then i can understand that people arent satisfied. But after reading your other replies i see that this isnt what you ment, so i am sorry about the missunderstanding!

Ye, i agree, some people definitly got that mentality, that a brand (not neccessarily just Sony) is the only thing that they will get. I would think that the reason for this might be "valid" (or what i shall say) though. I mean, if someone have only had Sony products, and if they have good experience with Sony products, then i can understand that they will stick to Sony products.

Although, as you mentioned earlier, some of the older Sony products might be better than the new Sony products, so sticking to Sony (or any other brand in the same situation for that matter) products doesnt necessarily means that the people always will be satisfied with the Sony products.

And as you say, sticking to only one brand no matter what might result in that you wont get to experience other brands that might be just as good, or maybe even better, and perhaps even cheaper as well, and it might be a pity to miss out on things like this, i agree =)

But i think that the most important thing is that people is happy with their products. There might be better products out there compared to what people are buying, but as long as they are happy with what they got, i would think that this is the most important thing

Thanks again for the detailed answers!

(I had to edit some of the smileys since i am allowed to have max 10 smileys in a post).
    Last edited by jajaja; 01-13-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I bought a Wal Mart Vizio TV and the quality is excellent. Sony makes them, btw. They cost about one third to one half what the equivalent Sony branded model does.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    I guess people are just fed up with their overpriced and underperforming tvs and cameras finally!
    Initially, the Bravia's caught my eye. Shortly after that, Samsung stole the show and for the past two years, as a contractor, I've recommended and sold nothing but Samsung LCD's.
    As for the cameras, I have experience with only one. I bought a $250 Sony and returned it the next day. I had to use it to take pictures at OU (The Sooners) and the reds were coming out brown...it was a disaster.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony is definitely not experiencing the best of times right now. But they will bounce back eventually. I don't think the PS3 will bounce back as strongly as they would like but eventually it will increase it's sales numbers. As for the company as a whole, they just have to continue to ride this economic storm out, just like pretty much every other company is doing at the moment.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Does stores in general run their TV on the standard factory settings by the way?
    Not always but they may as well. In general, they give each set the exact same calibration. 90% of this, 80% of that...it isn't like they set each one to its individual optimal white level or anything of that nature. They either leave it at factory setting, or set it to what they determine to be standard floor model levels. It's a terrible policy because one set on the floor can look better than a vastly superior set that is right next to it. I can't imagine the cost of custom calibration though...so whatever. Consumers either have to do their homework or buy whatever the store sells them. What I don't understand is if I can take the time to calibrate my set so that the black levels are near black, why doesn't it just come from the factory that way? Why is ti that every time I look at a new set, the levels are so terrible? Is it that gray really means black to everybody else? Just start with black and if people don't like it, they can calibrate it from there. Makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by DeputyMoniker; 01-14-2009 at 12:45 AM.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Sony is definitely not experiencing the best of times right now. But they will bounce back eventually. I don't think the PS3 will bounce back as strongly as they would like but eventually it will increase it's sales numbers. As for the company as a whole, they just have to continue to ride this economic storm out, just like pretty much every other company is doing at the moment.
    I agree but I do think that the PS3 will do better in the long run than people are saying, it's not going to die and neither is Sony,

They will ride it out.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

About the 'selling higher than the original price':
    I used to work in a clothing store in UK, and when an item didn't sell, and it was like, let's say, original price GBP 9.99, my boss put up a sales sticker displaying 'original price GBP 16.99, now only 12.99', and guess what, people buy the stuff like crazy.