Thread: SNES AC Port repair help

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES AC Port repair help

I have an SNES (model SNS-001) in which the plastic pin inside the AC port is broken off. All the metal parts still seem to be intact. The easiest way to repair this seems to be to replace the entire plastic piece covering all the ports in the back, which that plastic pin seems to be a part of. I have a spare SNES from which to swipe this piece, so that's a non-issue.

However, I tore this thing down and found myself unable remove the plastic piece, even after removing all screws, etc, from the vicinity of that particular module. One side wants to slide off the motherboard pretty easily, but the side nearest the AC outlet will not budge. Is it glued somehow? Is my unit behaving unusually? How do I fix this thing? It's my first time doing this particular repair, so any veteran help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmg1984 View Post
    I have an SNES (model SNS-001) in which the plastic pin inside the AC port is broken off. All the metal parts still seem to be intact. The easiest way to repair this seems to be to replace the entire plastic piece covering all the ports in the back, which that plastic pin seems to be a part of. I have a spare SNES from which to swipe this piece, so that's a non-issue.

However, I tore this thing down and found myself unable remove the plastic piece, even after removing all screws, etc, from the vicinity of that particular module. One side wants to slide off the motherboard pretty easily, but the side nearest the AC outlet will not budge. Is it glued somehow? Is my unit behaving unusually? How do I fix this thing? It's my first time doing this particular repair, so any veteran help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

you need to desolder the pins for the AC adapter jack to get that piece off
    meow :3

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GameOverRG

Quote Originally Posted by SnowKitty View Post
    you need to desolder the pins for the AC adapter jack to get that piece off
    you can do that or a trick I have used in the past to at least make it work is to get some needle nosed pliers and separate the 2 pins (that are left after the plastic breaks off) just enough so that when you plug it up it's snug . It's a bit of trial and error just don't go hulk on it when your bending them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Terrific info, thanks to both of you. This was exactly what I needed to know!

Thanks again!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for the continual newb questions, but this is my first time with this repair. The contact points I need to de-solder are the ones on the underside of the board near position "C30", correct?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, I removed all the solder from the two spots directly underneath where the AC port connects to the main board. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that this is how the AC port was attached to the board. Am I barking up the wrong tree? This didn't seem to help me get this thing off of here at all. What solder joint(s) do I need to be paying attention to in order to get this thing off of the board? Please help...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my experience it's pretty difficult to remove that part of the SNES. If I understand, you've desoldered the AC adapter pins from the board, right? Well, now the Multiout port is blocking the plastic piece. When I removed that piece once I resorted to cutting some parts.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the problem is that even though I've removed all the solder i can see from the two spots I presume the AC jack is wired into, I just don't see anything being attached there. There doesn't even seem to be any holes for wiring to come from the other side of the board from the AC jack. So far, even though I have removed a lot of solder from those two spots, I seem to have not freed any components from the board.

I tried Googling for some pictures of what the board looks like clean (no jack attached) to see what I am doing wrong, and have come up completely short so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the problem is that even though I've removed all the solder i can see from the two spots I presume the AC jack is wired into, I just don't see anything being attached there. There doesn't even seem to be any holes for wiring to come from the other side of the board from the AC jack. So far, even though I have removed a lot of solder from those two spots, I seem to have not freed any components from the board.

I tried Googling for some pictures of what the board looks like clean (no jack attached) to see what I am doing wrong, and have come up completely short so far.
    the RF box is probably what's holding it down, remove the screw that holds it down and see if you can get that piece out like that
    meow :3

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the problem is that even though I've
    This seems to be an older post, but the problem is persistent with a ton of SNES users so maybe this can help many others having this exact same problem. No pictures, but these steps should be self explanitory.

The proper way to replace the SNES AC port module is first to get a desoldering pump. You can pick up a cheap plastic one for a buck or two.

1. Remove SNES Power Supply adapter, and turn "ON" SNES console power switch.
    2. Let stand for 5 minutes or longer to discharge built up electricity (Warning: This is a must! Failure to do this step may result in blowing the SNES fuse or circuitry damage when soldering or touching motherboard).
    3. Remove the six security screws holding the SNES case together.
    4. Remove all phillips head screws holding the motherboard in place.
    5. Snap out the On/Off switch & wiring from motherboard so that it doesn't swing and contact motherboard circuitry. Many a motherboard has been ruined by a swinging on/off switch.
    6. Turn Motherboard over and remove the 1 screw holding the AC port module in place.
    7. Desolder the two protruding pins that extend into the motherboard, from the module.
    8. Make sure you remove as much solder as possible to make removal/replacement easier.
    9. You may use a small screwdriver wedged carefully between motherboard and module to separate.
    10. Lift up module so the two pins you just desoldered comes out of the motherboard (you will encounter resistance from the RF housing, just be careful not to break it).
    11. Once pins are out of motherboard holes, slide the module straight backward to remove it.
    12. Done!
    13. To replace with new AC port module, do the same thing in reverse.

And if you are looking for the SNES AC ports, the only place I found that sells them is the NesRepairShop.com. And they are like $14.00. But they seem to run out a lot so I guess they are in high demand. If you don't want to spend that much, a way around that is to get a tiny screwdriver and pinch the two metal pieces that are in the AC port closer together. Not farther apart, but closer together. This will make it so it will work perfectly, as the metal piece in the middle of the AC adapter input will grip firmly and not be intermittent. Hope this helps!

NES Man