Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your greatest sports game bloopers and blunders

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Your greatest sports game bloopers and blunders

Most people here who enjoy sports have seen numerous videos or programs highlighting some of the best known bloopers and blunders in sports history. This might include:

-Bill Buckner's ground ball in 1986.
    -A home run ball bouncing off of Jose Canseco's head.
    -Trot Nixon tossing a flyball into the stands with runners on base and less than two out.
    -Manny Ramirez going for a flyball only to fall down and end up sitting on it like an egg.
    -Dan Orlovsky running out of the back of the endzone for a safety.
    -Leon Lett going after a missed field goal, only to slip on the ice and lose control of the ball allowing the other team to get possession.
    -Leon Lett heading for the end zone only to slow down, showboat and allow a player from the other team to knock the ball out of his hand.
    -DeSean Jackson tossing the ball away just inches from the endzone and a surefire touchdown.
    -Somebody running into the wrong endzone in a football game.
    -Somebody who shoots the puck or soccer ball into their own goal.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to see what bloopers or blunders you have made while playing a sports game. This can include any console from any era. To me, it doesn't make any difference if the blunder is the result of your own mistake, pure bad luck (since fumbles happen at random in most video football games) or cheap AI by the computer. It also doesn't matter if it cost you that particular game.

I'm interested in hearing the replies and hope to get a decent response (I'm not sure how this type of thread will go over).

I'll kick things off with my own replies, here is my own top 10 and it is in no particular order. Some of these are pretty painful for me to remember

10. NFL 2K3 for Xbox:
    -Running my fullback on three consecutive plays to burn up the clock late in the game, only to have him fumble. (My #1 and #2 RB's had both went down with injuries in the same game) The opposing team recovered the fumble and actually returned it for a touchdown. That particular play cost me the game.

9. NFL Fever 2003 for Xbox:
    -Wanting to pad my passing stats, I continued throwing late in the game (under 2 minutes left) with a 14 point lead and Aaron Brooks at quarterback only to have him toss an interception which got returned for a touchdown. It was a good thing I recovered the onside kick because that touchdown had pulled the opposing team within 7 points of my lead.

8. World Series Baseball for Genesis:
    -Using one of the Atlanta Braves relief pitchers, I threw John Olerud of the Blue Jays a hanging curveball with two men on in the 9th inning of a World Series game only to have him smash a 480 foot home run. I was ahead by two runs before the pitch and ended up losing that particular game because of it, though I did eventually win the World Series. In this case, I meant to throw a high inside fastball but accidentally pushed the button for "Curve."

7. Play Action Football for NES:
    -I once intercepted a pass in this game only to run it into the wrong endzone. The computer controlled guy who made the interception was facing the opposite direction of his teammates, so when I automatically gained control of him I ended up running the same way he was already headed. In my defense, anybody who has played this game knows the field view is CRAP and you can only see a few yards ahead of you.

6. NHL 2002 for Xbox:
    -I once shot a puck into my own goal near the end of a tie game in which the computer and I had both pulled our goalies. During a brief checking skirmish, I lost track of which end of the rink I was supposed to attack. That play ended up costing me that particular game.

5. Madden 2005 for Gamecube:
    -Playing against a good friend, I did a Quarterback Draw on a 4th and 1 from the 50 yard line. The point of me doing it was to surprise him with the last play he'd ever expect (he counted on a QB Sneak or a handoff to the running back). I gained 12 yards on the quarterback's run only to have my friend's cornerback hit me. Not only did the ball come loose but my quarterback was injured for the remainder of the game. The fumble only led to a field goal and it occured in the second quarter. However, I did end up losing that particular game by three points. You do the math.

4. NCAA College Football 2K3 for Xbox:
    -Backed up to the one yard line, my junior year quarterback ran out of the back of the endzone for a safety. This was just days after Dan Orlovsky had done it during the NFL season. Right before I snapped the ball, I had that very same play of Orlovsky's running through my mind about 60 miles an hour. I was worrying that it could happen to me if I wasn't careful. Lo and behold it did, as I was scrambling to avoid a blitz. So I'm sure the external factors surrounding this moment had a lot to do with it. If I hadn't been thinking about Orlovsky, it probably never would have happened in my game.

3. NBA Live 2002 for Xbox:
    -In a game where I was ahead by one point with 16 seconds to go, I screwed up and ran out of bounds to avoid an intentional foul from the opposing team. The other team gained control of the ball and promptly hit a 3 pointer (after eating up most of the clock). I happened to be controlling my center, who was one of the worst foul shooters in the game but it was still an embarrassing mistake that did cost me the game.

2. NFL 2K2 for Playstation 2:
    -Calling a "Prevent" defense when I had the computer at 4th and 12 late in a game which I was leading 14 to 13 with 48 seconds to go. The computer had already made up its mind to go for it on 4th down. The result was a quarterback draw which gained 13 yards and a stunning first down. The defender I was controlling was about 25 yards downfield, in no position to reach the running quarterback. Even if I could have gotten him in time, the running play caught me SO off guard that I basically "froze" with the controller in my hand like a complete jackass. This play led to a timeout by the computer. One pass play later and they were in position to hit a game winning field goal.

1. NHL 2002 for Xbox:
    -Nearing the end of overtime, both the computer and I had pulled our goalies to go for the win. A few seconds later, somebody on my team was called for a penalty and got put in the box. Even though I was now a man short, I never bothered putting my goalie back in the net and settling for the tie. Next thing you know, a computer player scored on me and that was that.

Dishonorable Mention:
    -I have hit into dozens of double and triple plays in video baseball games because my guys never "tag up" on time after a flyball or line drive.

With that said, if any of you have similar stories to share (even one or two), I'd love to hear some.
    Last edited by bangtango; 01-13-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not everyone considers auto racing a sport, but I do. My favorite real life blunder was Mark Martin entering pit road after recieving the white flag (Meaning 1 lap to go to end the race) during a caution period during a NASCAR Busch series race at Bristol in the mid 1990s. Only needed to finish 1 more lap doing 40mph to win the race. He thought he had recieved the checkered flag.

My favorite blunder? Having my brake pedal fail going into turn 1 in a online NASCAR race at Pocono (Using NASCAR Racing 2002 or 2003 Season for the PC), wrecking about 30 people and ending the race for at least a dozen of them. Were lots of calls to have me banned that night...

Another favorite was running Forza 2 at Road Atlanta with a friend doing some online races, with me turning right directly into a tire barrier at the end of the essess on lap 1 after running the short circuit earlier in the night offline. We were running the full track and I was supposed to turn left.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-13-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pong - I once knocked the block with one of the lines past the other line, when I was playing a game versus myself. Unfortunately, it was because I clumsily grabbed an enchilada off my plate (I was eating dinner in front of the television) instead of the other paddle when I was blindly groping for it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played Ring King once.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Oh shut up. Ring King was awesome. :P

OK, my greatest blooper (if you call it that) goes to Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run on the SNES. I was winning a game 26-0, throwing a perfect game with 2 outs in the 9th inning, and the opposition's #9 hitter (hitting something like .195) was up. I go up 0-2, decide to waste a pitch way off the outside corner, when suddenly BAM! Home Run...on a pitch that was nearly out of the opposite batter's box.

Next pitch BAM Home Run, the next 8 pitches BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM that's right...the computer hit 10 straight home runs on 10 straight pitches.

But it's still 26-10. And I only have to get one more out. No problem, right? WRONG!

Before I finally get that last out, the computer scored 45 runs, hitting 27 home runs including 2 grand slams. I used my entire pitching staff. Balls, strikes, trying to purposely hit the opposing batter and having him hit a homer instead, didn't matter they were getting hits all over the place.

I have, and will never, touch that game again.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    Oh shut up. Ring King was awesome. :P

OK, my greatest blooper (if you call it that) goes to Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run on the SNES. I was winning a game 26-0, throwing a perfect game with 2 outs in the 9th inning, and the opposition's #9 hitter (hitting something like .195) was up. I go up 0-2, decide to waste a pitch way off the outside corner, when suddenly BAM! Home Run...on a pitch that was nearly out of the opposite batter's box.

Next pitch BAM Home Run, the next 8 pitches BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM that's right...the computer hit 10 straight home runs on 10 straight pitches.

But it's still 26-10. And I only have to get one more out. No problem, right? WRONG!

Before I finally get that last out, the computer scored 45 runs, hitting 27 home runs including 2 grand slams. I used my entire pitching staff. Balls, strikes, trying to purposely hit the opposing batter and having him hit a homer instead, didn't matter they were getting hits all over the place.

I have, and will never, touch that game again.
    This isn't quite the same but I was playing Triple Play 2002 the other night on Xbox. I had Darren Oliver of the Red Sox on the mound, who had been throwing the whole game, and he was two outs away from a 9 inning complete game shutout. Just three pitches later (double/single/home run), I had given up 3 runs. I still won the game 8-3 but was none too happy about how it ended.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Not everyone considers auto racing a sport, but I do. My favorite real life blunder was Mark Martin entering pit road after recieving the white flag (Meaning 1 lap to go to end the race) during a caution period during a NASCAR Busch series race at Bristol in the mid 1990s. Only needed to finish 1 more lap doing 40mph to win the race. He thought he had recieved the checkered flag.

My favorite blunder? Having my brake pedal fail going into turn 1 in a online NASCAR race at Pocono (Using NASCAR Racing 2002 or 2003 Season for the PC), wrecking about 30 people and ending the race for at least a dozen of them. Were lots of calls to have me banned that night...

Another favorite was running Forza 2 at Road Atlanta with a friend doing some online races, with me turning right directly into a tire barrier at the end of the essess on lap 1 after running the short circuit earlier in the night offline. We were running the full track and I was supposed to turn left.
    if we're counting racing bloopers, one of my favorite things to do with Test Drive LeMans was to purposefully perform stunts for the cameras, so I could watch them replayed... I had all the camera locations memorized, and would just go out of my way to do things that I thought would look cool on replays
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    if we're counting racing bloopers, one of my favorite things to do with Test Drive LeMans was to purposefully perform stunts for the cameras, so I could watch them replayed... I had all the camera locations memorized, and would just go out of my way to do things that I thought would look cool on replays
    Absolutely, racing counts.

I'm also open to hearing stories about your big chokes or collapses. As long as it was in a sports game

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Twice in Madden (04 or 05), I was Michael Vick and threw an INT. Each time the only player standing between the defender and the end zone was Michael Vick. Each time Michael Vick hit sticks them and causes a fumble.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I want to see a collection of video game sports bloopers set to Yakety Sax.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GameOverRG

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    I want to see a collection of video game sports bloopers set to Yakety Sax.
    I second that

Insert Coin (Level 0) CaptainFalcon13's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    none
    PSN
    none

Lightbulb madden 2006

I was playing against my friend in Madden 2006 when I threw an interception. The blooper was that it bounced off my receiver's head, it bounced off the safety's head, and another safety nearby got the interception. That's my blooper and I actually still have it on my PS2. It was called the double hezzy play.

Si vis poccum para bellum

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I have another "blooper" I can remember.

I had rented Cal Ripken Jr. baseball one time, and set up a full season. Now, Cal Ripken Jr. at the time was a long way into his ironman streak, 14-15 years in real life. So, it was a huge surprise when the opponent grounded the first pitch of the season to Cal, I moved him to the left 3 steps...and Cal fell down, broke his leg and was lost for the entire season! Surely you would have thought they would have programmed in some kind of injury proofing for Cal in his own game!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not sure if this counts, but I was playing Daytona at a Dave and Busters with 11 other players (or maybe just 7). I crossed the finish line in first place, jumped out of my car, and started pumping my arms in victory.

With one more lap to go.

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post

I'm also open to hearing stories about your big chokes or collapses. As long as it was in a sports game
    Oh, I have a few stories of chokes and collapses, but that's for another thread.

As for blunders, I do remember this one time playing as the Redskins in Tecmo Super Bowl III. Must've onsided a couple kicks accidentally (or intentionally, depending on the score), and twice my opponent recovered it and scored a TD. My brother kept on giving me hell about it.

Another blunder I remember was during Madden '06. Playing as the 49ers against the Redskins, I was trying to run the clock out before heading into overtime. Unfortunately, my fullback fumbled the ball, and the Redskins returned it for a game-winning TD.

Insert Coin (Level 0) wfnjstallion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In Nyack NY there used to be a NASCAR simulator so a bunch of my friends and I made the almost 2 hour trek. While racing and getting my ass kicked mind you I decided to just wreck one of my friends who was talking smack, so I slowed and waited for him, and at the right moment I turned the wheel hard right sending us both into the wall. being proud of what I had done I started laughing and talking smack to him, when it dawned on me that he was not the least upset over what I had done, b/c I DID NOT wreck him I wrecked some random dude who was not too happy with me.

The other night some friends and I were playing Mario Kart Wii online and I was housing these fools when on the 3rd lap I slammed into the umbrella 10 feet from the finish line, was bombed by a blue shell, and then a red shell and watched one of the other guys win the race.

Now for a story which makes me look a little better. Playing Madden (god only knows what year) as the Cowboys against my best friend in college as the Eagles (he had never beat me in Madden) but this particular time with less than 2 mins he was up 10. My first possession I marched down scored a td with 54 seconds remaining. I had no choice but to do an onside kick since I wasted all 3 timeouts on the previous drive, and was able to recover the ball. Several quick runs for 1st down by Emmitt Smith and a few incomplete passes later I bombed the ball deep left and he accidentally hit the dive button while chasing my WR with the ball still in the air. With the nearest defender flat on his stomach Michael Irvin was able to walk into the end zone for the game winning td as time expired.

Not sure of what the circumstances were in this situation, but playing a friend in NFL Street, and absolutely killing him this particular game he got up from his seat, went to the GCube ejected the disc and threw it across his room like a frisbee. We never did play NFL Street again.

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I got another blunder. I spent the night at my friend's place back in '02, a day before going to a Virginia Cavaliers game. We were playing NCAA Football '03, and I was Michigan and he was Florida. Pretty good game, and I think we were tied at 17. Sometime during the 4th quarter, his team got penalized, and not even thinking about it, I accepted the penalty, which gave him the ball again. He goes on to score the go-ahead TD. In a last ditch effort to tie the game, I try a hail mary, but his defender hit the QB at the same time and the ball went into the hands of a defender and scored a TD on an INT. I lost 31-17.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Another one, not so much a blooper, but a "feature"

I can't even remember which version of the game it was...but one of the Madden Genesis games, you could, on kickoffs, dive towards the ball, getten perilously close to blocking them. It was still useful for knocking down a defender, usually opening a decent hole for long returns. I assumed that it was impossible though.

Until one day, when I managed to dive just right and not only did I block the opening kickoff of the game...but I caught the ball, right off the tee, got up, and ran it back for a TD! I blocked it one other time, but it bounded to the kicking team, and they recovered it...a decidedly negative result.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Astrosmash DWB

One of my all-time favorite gaming bloopers, albeit from the realm of pro wrestli- ahem, "sports entertainment":

Circa 1999, me and my friend Jon were playing WWF Attitude on PlayStation for the first time (it just came out). We made ourselves in the create-a-wrestler and then set up a cooperative tag team match vs. the computer (don't remember who the computer was using).

At one point, he was the legal man and was getting beaten down and low on energy, but got a break and came over to tag me in. However, still being unfamiliar with the controls, he hit the wrong button and instead of tagging me, he punched me in the face, knocking me off the ring apron to the floor. He got slammed and pinned before I could get up. We thought it was hilarious at the time.
    Dan B.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post

I can't remember the details of any of those... I sure wish I had a video of my greatest racing crashes though... I still remember my most memorable moment in Need for Speed for 3DO... I was doing around 180MPH in a Dodge Viper when I hit a Honda Civic head-on... the Viper coasted to a stop, while the Civic was flung in the air and knocked back several hundred feet, before it hit the ground standing on its nose while spinning rapidly... it just stood there in front of me and spun like that for a minute, before it finally fell over on its roof and spun upside down for another minute... I'm pretty sure no one in that car survived... but it sure was cool watching the outcome of that crash... I was pissed about the wreck until it played out so awesomely well
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!