Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SNES Jr. S-Video

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well... To eliminate any question about whether or not I'm using the "correct" parts..

I went ahead and ordered a SNES Jr. modification kit (2x) from Console5.com.

Is that your site? If it is... what is the kit with "trimmer resistors" all about? What is the difference?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, that's my site! The trimmer version uses variable resistors instead of fixed value. Its something I put that together at the request of another customer and it allows you to fine tune the Y/C signal a bit. In my experience I've had no problems using the fixed values, but I figured I'd leave the option in there.

Oh, and my previous comment about grounding would only apply if using a separate s-video jack, which in retrospect would be a silly thing to install
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I build the mod right on the PCB, no trouble with lines. Are you grounding directly to the RGB chip? Aftermarket power supply?
    I am running ground only from the outer shell of the S-Video mini-DIN to pin 5 of the SNES MultiAV (top row on the socket, right next to Luminance) which I assumed to be Video Ground. There is another Ground which I assume to be Audio Ground which is on the bottom row of pins in the multiAV socket, directly below what I believe to be Video Ground. The Video and Audio Grounds are soldered together on the PCB by the factory on my board on my SNES SNS-101.

I am not grounding direct to the RGB chip. I am not sure what you mean by this i.e. what connections I need to make?

Aftermarket PSU? Yes, most certainly. I am in England, so cannot plug the 120V 60Hz SNES mini PSU in, since it is 2 pins and here we have 3 pins and 240V and 50Hz... So I am using a 9V DC, unregulated, negative tip supply, of 1A capability. I also tested it with a Uniross 1200mA capable 9V DC Regulated supply with negative tip and got exactly the same diagonal lines. There is a 7805 regulator already in my SNES mini.

There are several medium sized capacitors in my SNES 101, maybe one of them is faulty? But then why should the Composite Video image be line free but the S-Video picture have a line problem?

And I don't see how it's my 29" Sony CRT TV or my IN76 pj giving me a problem since both are absolutely diagonal line free with my PS1 and PS2 via S-Video with my Sony brand S-Video cable.

I'll write some more later. Wish I could solve this SNES problem, it's heartbreaking if I'm honest.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

It might be an incorrectly wired cable. Since you're in England, try a shielded NTSC SCART perhaps?

I'm pretty certain I've seen lines in even RGB (with HDMI converter box) from a SNES SNS-001.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just here to report that I substituted 100 ohm resistors instead of 75 (didn't have any handy) and the picture came out fine. I also used electrolytics for both caps.