Thread: SNES Jr. S-Video

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES Jr. S-Video

First, sorry if this has been posted, but I couldn't find it in the forum and the first 20 pages of a Google search didn't turn up any substantial information. I'm pretty sure that someone else has discovered this before me since I think that I've seen one or two sites that offer the S-Video mod and, also, I know that some of you might have figured this out way before I did, but I haven't seen this info accessible anywhere so I'm posting it here.

The mod is based on the SNES rev. SNS-CPU-RGB-01 which has the chip U7 "S-RGB" (ROMH BA6595F). That "S-RGB" chip has the same pinout of the chip present in rev. SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01 and SNN-CPU-01 (ROMH BA6596F) BUT different from the U7 chip in older revisions (ROMH BA6592/93/94F):

U7 chip in rev. SHVC-CPU-01, SNES model SNS-001. Notice how pin 12 ISN'T connected.

U7 chip in rev. SNS-CPU-RGB-01, SNES model SNS-001. Notice how pin 12 IS connected. This suggest that it's a different chip.

U7 chip in rev. SNN-CPU-01 a.k.a. SNES Jr. model SNS-101.

The mod:

Pictures:

Those two resistors are 150 Ohm in parallel = 75 Ohm

Last edited by izarate; 08-19-2010 at 09:20 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for the slight bump but I didnt want your thread to go unnoticed.

To the best of my knowledge you are the first person who has shown how to successfully add S-Video to a SNESJr/2 so very well done on all your hard work - and thanks for sharing it

I am guessing your also the same member from this forum?:-
    http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/forum/...php?f=4&t=2652
    I was also very impressed when I came across that thread last month (even though I had to uses Google's translation function to read it!)

Would you maybe consider adding your information to the GamesX wiki? Or would you mind if somebody else added it and credited you?
    Last edited by Link83; 01-28-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, in fact I'm a member on that forum. I have other guides there, mainly for pretty well known stuff like the SNES region mod and the Genesis S-Video mod. I have a couple that might be worth translating and putting up here (how to build you own SNES cardboard inserts, how to identify original carts for Nintendo consoles) and I've posted some of my stuff in other threads as well (Eye laser of vintage systems).

I'm pretty sure that someone else came up with the SNES Jr. S-Video mod before me since what sparkled my interest was that some site offered said mod for sale. Sadly I don't recall which site it was. I've visited MultiMODS and OSG but they don't have that mod for sale. I just remember that the background was dark blue.

Anyway, the thing is that, as far as I know, the mod wasn't well documented and accessible anywhere in the net. I knew about the Gamesx.com mod but, looking at the complexity of the mod, I think that they based their research on the first SNES revisions which have a different chip, as you noted in the PM you sent me.

Yeah, I would love to add the information. Do I need to register or something?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the one I did back in July of 2005:

www.VikingVideoGames.com
    Home of the Mini ColecoVision

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I offer this upgrade at my website, but my s-video amplifier is definitely a bit more complex than yours...

Last edited by ooXxXoo; 09-14-2009 at 08:05 PM.
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After giving a look at your site I think that it might be the one I saw. I recall it having a dark blue background, but that might just be a fuzzy memory. Maybe I got the blue background from your banner. The layout is similar to what I remember.

Certaintly, the mod it's pretty different. It might be that yours gives an even better picture.

By the way, where do you get the S-video jacks? I've been trying to buy those in my city but the shops here only have PCB mount jacks. I hope they have international shipping.
    Last edited by izarate; 01-29-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just here to report that I substituted 100 ohm resistors instead of 75 (didn't have any handy) and the picture came out fine. I also used electrolytics for both caps.