Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: circuit city stores being liquidated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default circuit city stores being liquidated

Ciruit City stores sought bankruptcy protection. It must have failed - the stores are being liquidated.

Post if you get a good deal.

We don't have any Cirucuit City stores in Canada (only "the Source by Circuit City" which used to be Radioshack stores).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's already a thread about Circuit City in Off-Topic. It's about 3 pages long. I can't seem to link to it though.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's that fuckin' badass link that was requested!

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126974

Circuit City, Fuck Yeah!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good 'nuff. This thread can either be deleted or remain here to illustrate the good deals (if any) that people get.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to threadcrap, but raising prices that are lower everywhere else back up to MSRP and then taking 10% off of that during a liquidation doesn't really constitute a deal IMO.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah actually it's illegal here in Canada. I don't know about the states though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

when a liquidation like this happens, a new company takes over the management of the individual stores to run the liquidation. they usually base the clearance prices off of MSRP

this will be happening quite a bit for the next few years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No big deals right now:

Furniture and accessories: 30% off
    CDs and DVDs: 20% off (does not include blu-ray discs)
    Select other items, including TVs: 10% off
    Video Games and Softaware are not included or marked down, yet.

The only Video Game deal was Guitar Hero III Legends of Rock and Aerosmith Guitar bundles marked down to $40. Although, Amazon already has Legends of Rock marked down to $40, so I am not sure if that is such a good deal. I picked up Aerosmith since the game is $20, and for an extra $20 you get a 2nd guitar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Target's been clearancing out the GH Aerosmith guitar bundles for $24.98, or just the game itself for $9.98.

The Circuit City stores around here closed a while ago. Their prices weren't great to begin with, and from what I've read here and on other forums, people aren't finding much (if any) in the way of deals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right now all games at my location are 10% off and game guides/manuals are all 30% off. Not too much good out right now on the shelves but I managed to snag a new sealed copy of Burnout Paradise for the PS3 $14, a PSP travel case $9, and Dark Knight Blu Ray for $18.

I was kind of annoyed at the crowd, re-sellers were walking around trying to haggle everything down with the Liquidation comp. One tried to take my Dark Knight when I set it on the shelf in front of my hand while looking at PSP games, grrrr. I can only imagine how wicked it will be when 50%+ prices come around.

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esquire View Post
    CDs and DVDs: 20% off (does not include blu-ray discs)
    Question: Does circuit City carry any off the mainstream CDs? Maybe punkish? Or is it all the usual fall out boy, killers, [type in any other emo band here] ?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    Question: Does circuit City carry any off the mainstream CDs? Maybe punkish? Or is it all the usual fall out boy, killers, [type in any other emo band here] ?
    Yes, but it's Your Mileage May Vary. I've found really obscure underground hip-hop CDs there, but it varies from store to store. Best Buy seems to be at least a little bit better in the regards of CD selection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I saw last night all the CD's were all the run of the mill Fall Out Boy, All American Rejects, Leona Lewis, Ray Charles, Def Lep, and all the standard finds that any store will have in stock. Worst of all they raised the prices on most everything up to atleast 14.99 some were up to 19.99.

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All-American liquidation... First you raise the prices by 70% and then discount them for 50% off. Works like a charm!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    All-American liquidation... First you raise the prices by 70% and then discount them for 50% off. Works like a charm!
    Amen. Just like at the Hollywood Video I worked at that closed this time last year. Everything went up to full price then gradually came down. People saw 30% off 24.99-22.99 and went into a buying frenzy. Little did they know the 17.50-16 dollar movie was 11.99-9.99 a few days before.

Another note, my CC had hundreds of copies of "Horton Hears a Who" new for the low price of 19.99, and people were buying multiple copies. I honestly wonder if they believe that they are getting an amazing deal, or if they are stuck in a consumer liquidation buying frenzy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mnbren05 View Post
    ...or if they are stuck in a consumer liquidation buying frenzy.
    You've hit the nail on the head. These people must have no idea what normal prices are, know that there's a liquidation and must imagine that they're getting a good price.

I don't understand it myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I have 2 Circuit Cities around where I live and I went to both of them yesterday.

They had 20% off all CDs and DVDs and 10% off everything else.

I'm gonna wait another couple of weeks and hopefully by then everything will be at least least 25% off. I'm looking to score a ton of CDrs, DVDrs and *hopefully* a USB 360 controller for cheap.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People are funny. I remember being at a Kay Bee Toys store when people were going nuts over action figure collecting, and overhearing one of the staff talking. She was saying that if she was cleaning up an aisle or putting an action figure back onto a shelf, and a patron saw her move a particular figure, they would often snap it up as though they'd found a treasure and scamper out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

I know liquidations are crap, with no real chance to get a good deal but I have picked up a couple at my CC this week. One of them still has everything game-related at 10% off, which is not a deal, really, ever! The other has 10% off games and consoles, but 30% off accessories, which includes controllers, Xbox Live Memberships and microsoft Points cards. So, while much is marked up then down, things like controllers and MS points which have a non-flexible price point are a great deal at 30% off. 1600 MS points for $13.99 is a great deal, so go look for em if you've got em.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Default Circuit City 30% off Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
    I know liquidations are crap, with no real chance to get a good deal but I have picked up a couple at my CC this week. One of them still has everything game-related at 10% off, which is not a deal, really, ever! The other has 10% off games and consoles, but 30% off accessories, which includes controllers, Xbox Live Memberships and microsoft Points cards. So, while much is marked up then down, things like controllers and MS points which have a non-flexible price point are a great deal at 30% off. 1600 MS points for $13.99 is a great deal, so go look for em if you've got em.
    Went to the CC today that still has the "10% Off" sign over all of the game area, including games and accessories. Just to check, I asked for a price-check on a few things and it turns out they are all 30% off, even though they are marked 10%. Here's what I picked up:

1600 MS Point card - $13.99
    Playstation 3 Dualshock 3 controller - $38.99
    Xbox 360 60GB Live Starter pack - $69.99
    - this is the set with the 60GB HD, 3 months XBL card and headset

Not too bad.