Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why are gamecube component cables still so expensive?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default why are gamecube component cables still so expensive?

Why are gamecube component cabless till so expensive?

I've got component cables for my wii. It can play gamecube games. Therefore, I can play gamecube games via component. Whoever has a wii is in the same boat. So then why are gamecube cables in such demand? Wii cables are (relatively) cheap and plentiful. I would think that the wii would have decreased demand for cube component cables.

The only thing the wii component cables can't do that the cube cables can is the gameboy player. With component cables for the cube, you could play GBA games via component, but I don't really know whether that would be worth it, considering how blurry GBA games are on the GB Player.

A quick search on ebay for cube cables shows that they're ~50 bucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Low supply/High Demand. It's the textbook definition of why something usually is "expensive".

Seems pretty cut and dry. Other than the official Nintendo store and online importers, the cables were never officially available in the US. Also, there were never any 3rd party Gamecube component cables produced either (to the best of my knowledge).

Nowdays, I play all my GC games on the Wii (with Wii component cables), so my GC component cables sit in the box in storage. It's funny how it turned out. My original GC had the component jack and after I bought a LCD TV I felt I had to have the GC component cables. I even bought another new GC (again...with the component jack) to keep boxed for when my original GC bit the dust. With the Wii...all these "plans" became pointless. Now I have the cables and 2 GC's sitting in rubbermaid containers in basement. Like most DP'ers...I have no intention of selling all this stuff, but it's funny how unnecessary these purchases ended up being.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I have no intention of selling all this stuff, but it's funny how unnecessary these purchases ended up being.
    yeah, I stumbled across the high price when I was convinced that I had to have the cube component cables. Then I thought to myself, why bother. Since I got my wii, the cube isn't even hooked up! The only good reason for it is my GB Player, which I never used anyway.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I don't get it either, but I'm not complaining! I bought my cable from Nintendo, but since have found I think another 5 or so of them. That translates into a lot of gaming goodness for my collection after selling them off! Actually, I've got one I'm putting up on eBay this evening!

Do you think the GC will go down as the least sought-after mainstream system hardware ever? It really seems the only reason to have it is for the GBplayer. Already it is hard to sell them and have it be worth it. CL is flooded with listings for a GC, no games/controllers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Do you think the GC will go down as the least sought-after mainstream system hardware ever?
    I'm thinking the original Playstation may end up being the least sought after console. I don't know the exact figures, but I'd guess more people own a PS2 than a Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

They were fairly hard to get a hold of even around the time when they were still being manufactured. I think I waited two months as they were on backorder before I was able to snag a pair.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

C0ldb33r, i have a set that was never used that i'd be willing to get rid of for fairly cheap. they were only used once since i didnt realize my tv did 480i till after the fact :^(. just pm me an offer and we can work something out.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to pick up a pair not for Gamecube games, but for my GBA player. It's the only reason I still own a 'Cube.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jupitersj
    PSN
    jupitersj

Since the Wii blocks Freeloader constantly with firmware updates the only way to play import GCN games in component is GCN component cables or a modded/jpn Wii realistically.

For saving 50 dollars I'm willing to play gekitou taisen games in s-video.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jupitersj View Post
    Since the Wii blocks Freeloader constantly with firmware updates the only way to play import GCN games in component is GCN component cables or a modded/jpn Wii realistically.

For saving 50 dollars I'm willing to play gekitou taisen games in s-video.
    That's the reason i have my gc still to use the action replay.The other of coruse is the gb player.Last year i was able to get the gc component cable from a member at neo-geo.com for $37.00+.Sure,it might seem pointless since i have the component cable for my wii as well.Still games on the gb player run through gc component cable look pretty sweet to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those cables were always expensive because of the DSP chip built into the GC end of the cable. It's an expensive chip that converts digital video into analog YUV, or RGB when modded.

I'd like to get a GBPlayer, but the cost of a silver unit and a NTSC-U boot disc is more than I'm willing to spend on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you think the GC will go down as the least sought-after mainstream system hardware ever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro-J View Post
    I'm thinking the original Playstation may end up being the least sought after console.
    If I judge by my local Goodwill than I'd say you are both right. Theres hardly ever a time where you can't find one of those two systems in there. Ocassionally you find other systems too, but not nearly as often and they don't sit there as long as the GC and PS1 do.

Back on topic, I've found some GC component cables locally but they too were offering them for a very high price so I passed. I personally will always have my GC because of my freeloader. I love my import games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I'd like to get a GBPlayer, but the cost of a silver unit and a NTSC-U boot disc is more than I'm willing to spend on it.
    I notice that Nintendo still sells the GBP bootdisc in their online store. I was surprised.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Since this is still relatively recent, I thought I'd post the results of my auction that ended yesterday... $71 plus shipping!

Seriously. WTH? That many people want their GB games in 480p? Otherwise, if you are going to spend that much why not just save your money for a couple more weeks and get a Wii? $70 is a quarter of the way there! Still, considering I picked these up for $5 at a thrift, I can't complain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Since this is still relatively recent, I thought I'd post the results of my auction that ended yesterday... $71 plus shipping!

Seriously. WTH? That many people want their GB games in 480p? Otherwise, if you are going to spend that much why not just save your money for a couple more weeks and get a Wii? $70 is a quarter of the way there! Still, considering I picked these up for $5 at a thrift, I can't complain.
    Final prices for Ebay auctions are often hard to explain. My guess is people either don't know that the Wii is fully backwards compatible with the Gamecube, or they don't know that Wii component cables exist.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

I was able to find 3 of these for $4.99 at gamestop a few months ago when the CAG thread came up about it. Now there are none within a hundred miles and it's backordered.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Short answer - Game Boy Player. Nothing like playing GBA games in 480p!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Those cables were always expensive because of the DSP chip built into the GC end of the cable. It's an expensive chip that converts digital video into analog YUV, or RGB when modded.

That is correct, sir. Usually anyone who doesn't want to pay for cables can hack together their own using a cheap third party brand and some inexpensive connectors, but that DSP chip isn't something you can order from a part supplier. Until someone comes up with a good alternative chip, buying the official Nintendo cable is the only way to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seriously. WTH? .
    Well, it is ebay we're talking about. It's very difficult to find a bigger group of stupid people than on ebay. But atleast this time worked out in your favor.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It may sound stupid given all the opinions about the GC component cables ... but i want one !!!!!!

Is there any site where i can buy them cheaper than eBay ? or i just should wait to win it in an auction ?

I have another question: Nintendo released S-Video cables for the SNES or N64 on North America or Japan ?, i have seen quite a few third party cables, but never an official one :S

Thanks !!!
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!