Thread: Gaming Gamestop: 2600 article

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gaming Gamestop: 2600 article

My wife picked me up the latest issue of 2600 yesterday. They had an article about gamestop trade-ins that I thought I'd scan and pass along. Of course, my best advice with respect to trading-in games at major gaming retailers is: don't. You'll get a much more fair trade on kijiji or some local site.

Sorry the quality is crap, I scanned it as a 16 colour gif to keep the file size small.

Last edited by c0ldb33r; 01-18-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it just seems like not trading in at Gamestop is much easier than following these convoluted steps, which have a big risk of failing at any point along the way. In fact, just don't shop at Gamestop period, if you can avoid it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not a GS fan by any means, but wouldn't this technically be fraud? Also, this probably wouldn't work anyway since they do ask for ID when you're trading in games or redeeming credit.

And finally, even if you did pull this off, it does seem like a lot of work for something that doesn't really net you any money. You're probably still better off selling your games at a pawn shop, EBay, etc.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess if you consider "sticking it to the man" to be a greater reward than anything else, then this might be of use. Still, why not just throw a brick through their window and be done with it. Seems less likely to get you caught, haha!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Thanks, that's good idea.

And if you've ever been on CAG, you learn that trading in undesireable clearance games to games to gamestop can make you a ton of money/credit.

I don't recommend trading games from your collection or anything that's somewhat in demand to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can trade games in to Gamestop for cash???

If you can, I have no idea how I missed that...

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eugenek View Post
    You can trade games in to Gamestop for cash???

If you can, I have no idea how I missed that...
    Not anymore by me, they're still called EB Games and it's only trade in value(no cash). They haven't given out cash in years.

I still don't know why anyone would bother to go through with all that, just sell it yourself and you'll get more money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's way too much trouble to save just a few bucks. Heck, trading in games period always seemed like too much trouble for me. They never give you enough trade value to fool with it. I'd rather just keep it.

This also seems like something you might be able to get away with once per Gamestop, and only if you were not tripped up along the way. They'd probably get very suspicious if you did it twice, especially now that this article is out there.

At any rate, selling it yourself does seem to be an easier and more straightforward way to get the maximum amount of cash.
    Last edited by shopkins; 01-19-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I take your point guys, it's too much work to bother with.

That's kind of the whole point of 2600. Find a way to screw the system regardless of whether it's a pain in the ass. That's why I like it

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    That's kind of the whole point of 2600. Find a way to screw the system regardless of whether it's a pain in the ass. That's why I like it
    Only they still make money on your games, just not as much. That and you get less money for your games, so you still lose out.

They would suffer more if people stopped trading in their games, they would have a smaller selection and people would stop going as often.

I did trade in a crappy PC game several years ago, it got $0.49 trade in value. Only thing was the selling price came up as $0.00. They manually changed the price to $2.99(or $1.99) to try and sell it. I got the game in a pile of games so I didn't really lose out with it.

I still find good stuff from EB Games, I've found lots of GBA games for $2.99 or less(years ago GBC games for the same price). Even some DS games were $2.99. I've also bought an Xbox game for $0.01. That's still better than thrift stores I've been to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Not anymore by me, they're still called EB Games and it's only trade in value(no cash). They haven't given out cash in years.

I still don't know why anyone would bother to go through with all that, just sell it yourself and you'll get more money.
    I think the EB/GS that still give out cash (at least the ones areound here) actually do it in the form of a check mailed out from the corporate office. I don't think they've actually ever paid out trades in cash.