Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does lack of Zelda in 2008 imply Ocarina remake?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Does lack of Zelda in 2008 imply Ocarina remake?

I was just reminiscing back through 2008 and how Nintendo seem to not have had many first party releases compared to previous years (Or so it seems), and many of their classic key franchises / mascots seem to not have been seen in a while...

Kirby is one example, where we are still awaiting a Kirby title for the Wii, and have only had a few DS games recently. Likewise, the F Zero franchise has yet to make an appearance on either the Wii or the DS. And when was the last time we saw Fox McCloud? (Rhetorical question: It was on the DS a couple of years ago). Others, such as Samus, seem to have made a few appearances, but nothing lately, not even a whisper of any projects in the works...

We haven't really seen anything Zelda related in a long while, at least not since Phantom Hourglass for the DS back in 2007 and Link's Crossbow Training. Before that? It was Twilight Princess, but that was right around the launch of the Wii, and to be honest it was unnecessary because it was also released for the GameCube (Which as we all know, the Wii can play GameCube games). So, 2008 has been the first year since the release of Ocarina Of Time that we haven't seen a Zelda game in some way, shape, or form...

This got me thinking. What if there isn't a good reason for this recent absence? What if Nintendo are actually working on something special for Link? Pooling all their efforts and resources into creating a Zelda game on the hush-hush... I have two theories:

1) Ocarina Of Time remake for Wii

BAsically an update from the original in the same way Capcom updated Resident Evil and how RARE updated Conker's Bad Fur Day etc... Final Fantasy fans have been screaming out for a FFVII remake for as long as I can remember, but the Zelda fans seem to be obscured by the Final Fantasy fanboys and we rarely hear of the demand for an Ocarina Of Time remake, which I would imagine is equally as in demand as a FFVII remake or Resident Evil II remake...

2) Ocarina Of Time for DS

It's been ten years. The DS is more than capable of running N64 games as has been proven many times, and Mario 64 has previously been rereleased for the DS, so there's no real reason why Ocarina Of Time cannot be ported to the handheld. I am sure there is as much demand for this game as there is for the likes of Chrono Trigger etc and a DS port is long overdue. I find it very hard to believe that Nintendo haven't yet considered this possibility before now, and believe that it would be shrewd for them to release it for the DS - After all, their in the business to make money, and I doubt they could go very far wrong if they chose to release Ocarina Of Time on the DS

Ocarina Of Time is hailed as one of the best games of all time - So it would seem fitting that after a decade it was released to a new generation of gamers to experience
    Last edited by Gemini-Phoenix; 01-19-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Dude, for all intents and purposes, Twilight Princess WAS an Ocarina remake.

Nintendo doesn't do remakes. Re-releases, sure. Not remakes. Consider also that they already re-released it for both the Gamecube and Virtual Console. Not gonna happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Wasn't the next Zelda game already announced? I doubt they will do a complete re-make of any of the Zelda games, since they're always able to come up with new ideas for their franchises. This is Nintendo we're talking about, not SquareEnix.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't every Zelda game a remake of the first anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Nintendo doesn't do remakes.
    Metroid Zero Mission says hello.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Isn't every Zelda game a remake of the first anyway?

Fair point. That's one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ocarina of Time is already on the Virtual Console.

I say, come E3, the next *true* Wii Zelda will be announced. Title and one of their teaser trailers.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Nintendo doesn't do remakes.
    Super Mario All-Stars, the Mario games were redone with updated graphics.

Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, the game was redone in color and an extra dungeon was added.

Game and Watch Gallery 1-3, the classic games also had modern remakes included.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post

Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, the game was redone in color and an extra dungeon was added.

Those are from the last Millenia.

Nintendo has said they are working on the next Zelda, but that is all they have said. They probably won't annouce it at E3 but at the Tokyo game show or their own event.

Also, it has we might consider they may hold back a big title or two for their next system which is often hinted for 2010...

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Kirby Superstar for DS is a remake too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

As stated, it's been re-released on Gamecube and on the VC, even if a DS version would be fun it's unlikely to happen.

I personally just want them to get off their arses and make the next F-Zero, it's been five frigging years since GX and my reflexes are starting to get dull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Nintendo is probably going to do another zelda or mario title for the Wii or both. I dont think they are going to "hold off" for their next system. I think the "next system" will actually be a minor upgrade of the Wii "Wii HD". Their staple franchises that usually get a major game(not an offshoot title) every three to four years. They still have not technically made a zelda title for the Wii, as the last one was pretty much a port in my book.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Dude, for all intents and purposes, Twilight Princess WAS an Ocarina remake.
    +1....
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

When the DS launched with Super Mario 64 DS, I was certain Nintendo would eventually release Zelda: Ocarina of Time DS. 4+ years later...I don't think it's going to happen. As for a Wii re-release? Miyamoto is probably too busy planning the next new Zelda.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is from July of last year: http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/...on-new-titles/

I'll paraphrase for you: "The Mario and Zelda teams are both hard at work on new games for both franchises that will be coming to the Wii." While those games haven't been revealed yet, it's pretty safe to say that we will get atleast one more new Zelda and Mario game for the Wii during this generation. But I seriously doubt they will make any more that that.....until the Mii-2 comes out.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Let's not also forget the Super Mario Advance (remake of SMB 2) and Super Mario Advance 2 (remake of Super Mario World)and Super Mario Advance 4: SMB 3 (SMB 3 with tweaks that I consider a "Remake").

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elysiun
    PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Let's not also forget the Super Mario Advance (remake of SMB 2) and Super Mario Advance 2 (remake of Super Mario World)and Super Mario Advance 4: SMB 3 (SMB 3 with tweaks that I consider a "Remake").
    There was also Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green on the GBA, which were remakes of Red and Blue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Virtual Console is one thing, but the DS is another. Why have a console capable of porting N64 games when all we get is yet more SNES games, especially as the GBA was capable of SNES ports yet all we got was NES games...

And Aren't there plenty of games available for the Virtual Console that are also on the DS? Two different markets, so I don't see why a DS port of Ocarina Of Time shouldn't be released. Virtual Console doesn't even come into it. I am sure there is demand for a portable version of the game

And I also believe that Nightmare In Dreamland was a remake of Kirby's Adventure for the NES; And Fire Emblem: Shadow dragon on the DS is a remake of the original NES game, as well as the afore mentioned Metroid Zero Mission being a remake of the first Metroid game and as stated above, the two Pokemon remakes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    When the DS launched with Super Mario 64 DS, I was certain Nintendo would eventually release Zelda: Ocarina of Time DS.
    I came to the same conclusion. Maybe we'll see a version of OoT or even Majora's Mask specifically for the DSi that uses the camera or on-line capabilities in some weird and wonderful way?

Considering OoT usually tops all of the "Best Game Ever" lists, I'm sure Nintendo will make sure the game is readily available in some form for many years to come. Personally, I'd pay money if they re-released it for the Wii with a full TP style graphical overhaul.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Kirby Superstar for DS is a remake too.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nionel View Post
    There was also Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green on the GBA, which were remakes of Red and Blue.
    I stand thoroughly corrected. My mistake(s).

Don't hold out for a DS re-release of Ocarina though. I stand by the remainder of my original statement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix View Post
    Virtual Console is one thing, but the DS is another. Why have a console capable of porting N64 games when all we get is yet more SNES games, especially as the GBA was capable of SNES ports yet all we got was NES games...
    Maybe because 2D>3D?

Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI