Thread: Does anyone use the old Xbox Network adapter with thier 360?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Default Does anyone use the old Xbox Network adapter with thier 360?

I had one hanging around and it would be so much easier if I could just use that instead of dishing out $100 on the 360 adapter. The Xbox sees it but just wont connect to the network. I tried a few things and found a tutorial online, but no good. I called MS Customer Support but they just say tell me that unit is not supported with 360. But I know some people have gotten it to work without a mod or anything.

any help out there?
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it works. I saw a faq about it earlier tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

here you are sir....I knew I read something about what you're doing the other day and I re-found it for you.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5133447/how-to-...ly-and-cheaply

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BoostedK20
    PSN
    TurboDC5

Yeah, I had mine setup for a while before I broke down and ran an Ethernet wire for the rest of my consoles. Just keep in mind if you are using wireless security, the mn-740 doesn't support wpa unless you flash it to the d-link model.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theres plenty of wireless bridges to be had out there for nearly the same price or less than the old adapter(for whatever reason its still pretty pricey). Id use a bridge, which has way more features than the regular xbox adapter. If you already have the original XBOX adapter it can be done, just google it.

I on the other hand got a working official 360 wireless dongle for $33 shipped somehow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We've got two of those XBox adapters in my house... We use one on the 360, and the other as a portable wireless port onto the household network. Once you flash them up, they're fantastic as ports for old tech - weve got some old Linux laptops that don't have built in wireless we use them with for surfing and homework and whatnot... Anyway, once they're configured properly, they should work fine with any device that has an ethernet port... When you use one on your XBox 360, as far as the 360 is concerned, it's as if it's plugged directly into a (rather slow) bridge...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sounds like a good idea. The official adaptor is a little steep.

A couple of days ago I discovered that I can get on live even cheaper by sharing my laptop's connection with my Xbox. It takes a bit of fiddling but not as much as I expected it to. There weren't really any advanced settings to change, I just have to make sure to do things in the right order or I get an error.

My problem now is that my 360 says my Nat is set to strict and some game might not work right. I heard that could be fixed by changing settings on the router but, unfortunately, I don't have access to it. My landlord allows me to use his wireless.

But I have been able to play some online games. I was playing Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 earlier and it worked okay, with not much lag. I haven't tried the headset, though, and that's something my Xbox warned me might not work right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Thanks for all the good leads.

The link above says it should just work but doenst really trouble shoot. It does say you may have to put the info in a few times, I guess I'll try that. Maybe I should also do it the first time closer to the router, let it read with a good signal, then set it back up to where I want it.
    I tried searching on line but all I can find is "yea, u can do it". But I get the feeling something still isnt right...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

hmm...

saw this on an Amazon customer review:

After reading these reviews I had already printed my return label when I decided to call Microsoft just to double-check. Yes it does work on the 360. I did the following, and at least it worked for me:
    1. Do not use the disk that comes in the box.
    2. Just plug it in, go to "settings" and put in your encryption key if you have one, if not just leave it alone.
    3. Try more than once. For some weird reason it only worked at the second try.

allright, gonna try it again

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

I had a old D-Link Bridge I used to use for the xbox1, but for some reason I couldnt get it to work for me on the 360, so I plunked down 100 bills for the wireless adapter. Well worth it, I was getting headaches with that stupid bridge.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I used the old one for a while on my 360 with no problems, then once I got the official 360 adapter I moved the old one to my Tivo.

I noticed no difference in speed or performance between the old one and the new one. The only "bad" thing about the old one is that it requires a power supply (and an ethernet cable of course)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    I used the old one for a while on my 360 with no problems, then once I got the official 360 adapter I moved the old one to my Tivo.
    How's it work with the Tivo? I get my TV through my DSL connection and I'd love to do it wirelessly.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    How's it work with the Tivo? I get my TV through my DSL connection and I'd love to do it wirelessly.
    No problems using the regular Tivo service. The Amazon Unbox stuff just abruptly stopped working and I never was able to figure it out. But I hardly ever used it anyway (I downloaded one movie in a year).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The official wireless adapters are a waste of money. Just buy a WRT54GL and flash it with either Tomato or DD-WRT (easy tutorials everywhere), then set it up as a bridge or in WDS mode. With 4 ethernet ports, you'll be able to hook up all of your network-capable consoles with one single $57 piece of hardware (free shipping!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    ...With 4 ethernet ports, you'll be able to hook up all of your network-capable consoles with one single $57 piece of hardware (free shipping!).
    As I mentioned, I rely on my DSL connection for my television. Would this work with that as well? Would it be a reliable solution not just for online gaming but also to ethernet signal to my dsl TV box?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    As I mentioned, I rely on my DSL connection for my television. Would this work with that as well? Would it be a reliable solution not just for online gaming but also to ethernet signal to my dsl TV box?
    I'm not too familiar with DSL TV, but if it just hooks up over a normal ethernet connection and the 54mbit/sec bandwidth is ok, then you should be dandy fine good. The bandwidth might be the deal killer for you...any idea how much you need to have available for it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    The bandwidth might be the deal killer for you...any idea how much you need to have available for it?
    Damn, I'm not sure. The unit is a motorla vip 1200 IPTV box.

I expect that it would be alright for SDTV, but if I upgraded to HD signal, it would suffer (that's just a guess though). I might look at that bridge for my consoles though

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep I use my xbox one on the 360, not had a single hiccup whatsoever, was not about to pay what they want for an adapter. Plug it in and boom works right off the bat didnt have to set up anything.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Quote Originally Posted by Xian042 View Post
    3. Try more than once. For some weird reason it only worked at the second try.
    With mine, I couldn't connect the first time either--though this may be because of how I went about that. I had tried to connect by initially hitting one of the "Sign Up for Xbox Live" buttons on the main dashboard screen, but it told me it couldn't connect.

So then I went into network settings and tried to connect from there. It worked fine, and has every time since.

I'd definitely agree to give it another try--it may save you some grief in the end
    Egbert, I miss you...