Thread: "Red Storm Rising" (C-64) Contest Docs Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default "Red Storm Rising" (C-64) Contest Docs Help

Some time ago I mentioned that I had participated in a Commodore 64 contest involving the game "Red Storm Rising" that took place twenty years ago. I had taken pictures of some of the stuff I earned from the contest, including the special Battle Disks used, and posted the photos at AtariAge.

Since then I put together a document that explained the contest and, with the help of my user group, got the Battle Disks uploaded onto the PC (and transferred to my Mac) into .d64 format.

This document was made into a 45 page monster with tons of document scans (adverts, letters, the complete Battle Manual, photos, and one article). This created a 7.8 MB .pdf file. The plan I had was to attach it to a topic at AtariAge announcing it's arrival. At this point I am trying to verify the maximum attachment size limit for posts there.

As for the Battle Disk images, I am in the process of trying to verify that they work in an emulator environment. I had mentioned this stuff in a Commodore 64 related topic here and I gave a copy of the images to Mayhem (who does stuff for Gamebase 64) to try out. However, he hasn't found a decent copy of RSR to try them out on. So I decided to do some verification on my own and downloaded Power64 for my Mac. Even with the ten minute time limit (free trial - you need to register and pay to remove the time limit) this should be enough to do what I wanted to do.

Getting a working copy of RSR is another problem. I found a copy of RSR but it was cracked by a pirate group. While Disc 1 worked good, Disc 2 was bad. But it would see the Battle Disk image at least, it's just that Disc 2 was fragged. I managed to get another copy from another site, but it was the same pirate copy. But Disc 2 worked a little better this time. However, Disc 2 is still unplayable. So now I am hoping to find a decent working copy of RSR to use in this emulator to verify the Battle Discs in an emulation environment before I can officially release them (although, if Mayhem manages to verify them before I do, that will work too).

Although I still have the original RSR game discs I can't copy them to my Mac Mini (I don't think anybody has managed to make a USB adapter for a 1541 drive) for use with Power 64.

However, if somebody already has a working copy of RSR with their emulator, I can mail a copy of the Battle Discs for verification help.

Hopefully, soon, I can have all of this stuff out onto the net for fellow retrogamers and fans of RSR to enjoy. I just need to make sure that these Battle Disc images work properly first.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only two copies of RSR I have are cracked by Antitrack and ESI, but I also have an alternate of the ESI crack. I'll pm you.
    Last edited by zektor; 01-21-2009 at 12:41 AM.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by RARusk View Post
    Getting a working copy of RSR is another problem. I found a copy of RSR but it was cracked by a pirate group. While Disc 1 worked good, Disc 2 was bad. But it would see the Battle Disk image at least, it's just that Disc 2 was fragged. I managed to get another copy from another site, but it was the same pirate copy. But Disc 2 worked a little better this time. However, Disc 2 is still unplayable. So now I am hoping to find a decent working copy of RSR to use in this emulator to verify the Battle Discs in an emulation environment before I can officially release them (although, if Mayhem manages to verify them before I do, that will work too).
    Yeah this is exactly the issue I was running up against. Side two refusing to load in Vice, even with TDE on. I OWN Red Storm Rising myself, I will go as far as to nibble my originals if need be to get a working copy of the copy, but it's already been done so I've slung an email to the guy running the C64 disk originals repository asking him to send me the images so I can use them. Will keep you informed unless you manage to get a working side two yourself...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Do keep me informed. You are using one emulator (Vice - on PC, yes?) and I am using Power 64 on the Mac. Never hurts to try at least two different emus on two different systems. BTW, I was also trying to use C64 emus on my PS2 but no luck so far.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I may try it on CCS as well and see if it loads there. Will let you know...