Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tomb Raider

I recently decided that this game was too significant to not include it in my collection, despite previously boycotting it on purpose, due to my distate for it's apparent advocacy of killing endangered species just for the sport of it. I still disagree with those aspects of the game, but I'm now willing to look past them at what made this game and its resulting franchise what it is today.

I'm aware that this game spawned an entire genre of 3PS games, so I'm wondering what other games used the same engine as the original game, or one of its sequels. I figure if I end up enjoying Tomb Raider, I'd prolly enjoy other 3PS games, and I know the Playstation has plenty to choose from. I'm just not sure which of them I might want to add to my collection someday.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a pile of Tomb Raider games on the PSX. They're not easy to play and it's not hard to back or side flip yourself into certain doom, but they'll last you a while. I always had respect for people who could finish them. Good thing is that the guides are fairly easy to come across in the wild as well as the games. They remind me of the Resident Evil games as well. It's best to play them with an original digital Playstation controller if you have one. Thumbsticks seem to detract from the control needed to play.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    I....despite previously boycotting it on purpose, due to my distate for it's apparent advocacy of killing endangered species just for the sport of it.

???

Joking aside, what species is endangered? Bats, wolves, tigers, bears, panthers, gorillas (ah, that may be it), crocs, and rats. If it IS the gorillas, then maybe I'm missing something since Mario caged up DK in DK Jr and also made him fall to his doom in the original DK, but I bet you have a few Mario games in the ol' collection. Not being snarky, I just don't get being that worked up over a game.
    Last edited by Sniderman; 01-21-2009 at 01:42 PM.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was the dnosaurs from the first one. Save the T-REX!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Sorry for my ignorance, but I've played most of the TR games and I like them a lot but I don't know what 3PS means.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that it means 3rd person shooter.

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought the Tomb Raider games were horrible and overrated.
    Adult Podcast for Kids
    Weekly geek podcast. Everything from movies to tv, comics to video games, pro wrestling, entertainment, and beyond, with a decidedly adult slant.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The first title was okay. The second was alot better. After the first two, the series just sucked balls up until Tomb Raider Legend then Tomb Raider Anniversary(a remake of the original.) Those two games took a dead series, or rather a series ruined by alot of crappy releases, and brought it back to life. Never played Tomb Raider Underworld.

I'd say that the original Tomb Raider games have marked their place in history regardless. If you ask me, Shadow of the Colossus' gameplay seems very inspired off from that of the Tomb Raider series, though SotC is a far better game than even the best of them in my opinion. If you look at it that way, we may have never received SotC if it wasn't for Tomb Raider.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CastlevaniaDude View Post
    I always thought the Tomb Raider games were horrible and overrated.
    To be fair I have to agree. The controls were really horrible and precise movements seemed impossible. But then, if I had breasts that size (seemingly growing by a cup size per game) on such a slender figure I'm sure I'd have problems moving around coherently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'm wondering what other games used the same engine as the original game, or one of its sequels.

I didn't quite understood the question ...

If it was about the game engine, probably it was used only by 5 Tomb Raider games :

Tomb Raider
    Tomb Raider II
    Tomb Raider III
    Tomb Raider : The Last Revelation
    Tomb Raider Chronicles

There are many similar games but INDIANA JONES and the INFERNAL MACHINE is worth buying.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of the ones developed by Core, the only one worth picking up is the first title. Make sure you get it on PC though, not PS1 or Saturn. With the PC version, there's a few additional missions in Unfinished Business (available as part of Tomb Raider Gold) in addition to the fan created content. A little more involved in getting up and running (DOSbox, GliDOS, dgVoodoo, etc), but well worth the effort.

Fun Reading.

Also seconding Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, though I guess the N64 version of that is the best one to get? Can't remember exactly why...I own both but never really spent any time with the N64 one. Going to have to fix that sometime.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    Joking aside, what species is endangered? Bats, wolves, tigers, bears, panthers, gorillas (ah, that may be it), crocs, and rats.
    I'm honestly very surprised that you don't at least know right off the bat that tigers and gorillas are critically endangered. I figure that was common knowledge among just about everyone by now. Even elementary school kids are usually taught that. It's also fairly well-known that many species of wolves and bears are endangered. Basically any large predator that needs a large amount of territory is struggling these days. You should take a trip to a zoo, man.

Not that I agree with the whole idea of boycotting Tomb Raider on the basis that you kill endangered animals. Unless a game is really malicious in its message, I don't think the inclusion of defeating tigers or bears or whatever is meant to be taken seriously. Now, there are plenty of other good reasons to boycott Tomb Raider. :P

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'm honestly very surprised that you don't at least know right off the bat that tigers and gorillas are critically endangered. I figure that was common knowledge among just about everyone by now. Even elementary school kids are usually taught that. It's also fairly well-known that many species of wolves and bears are endangered. Basically any large predator that needs a large amount of territory is struggling these days. You should take a trip to a zoo, man.

Not that I agree with the whole idea of boycotting Tomb Raider on the basis that you kill endangered animals. Unless a game is really malicious in its message, I don't think the inclusion of defeating tigers or bears or whatever is meant to be taken seriously. Now, there are plenty of other good reasons to boycott Tomb Raider. :P

When I think "endangered" I guess I immediately thought of the classically endangered animals. So I was trying to remember pandas and eagles and snail darters in Tomb Raider. I'm fairly ignorant in certain areas - animals and geography and true weaknesses sadly.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    To be fair I have to agree. The controls were really horrible and precise movements seemed impossible. But then, if I had breasts that size (seemingly growing by a cup size per game) on such a slender figure I'm sure I'd have problems moving around coherently.
    For better or for worse, the breasts were probably the main selling point of the game. Not to mention the fabled but ultimately urban legend "Nude Raider" code. Haha
    Adult Podcast for Kids
    Weekly geek podcast. Everything from movies to tv, comics to video games, pro wrestling, entertainment, and beyond, with a decidedly adult slant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CastlevaniaDude View Post
    For better or for worse, the breasts were probably the main selling point of the game. Not to mention the fabled but ultimately urban legend "Nude Raider" code. Haha
    Nude Raider was a patch for the PC version that actually existed. But they got shut down by Eidos.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Nude Raider was a patch for the PC version that actually existed. But they got shut down by Eidos.
    Yeah, I remember hearing about that. I just remember whispers all over the middle school that there was a code for the PSX version.
    Adult Podcast for Kids

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, me too!!

In fact I just purchased all 4 titles on the PS1 just this week, waiting for them to arrive.

What a coincidence.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I recently decided that this game was too significant to not include it in my collection, despite previously boycotting it on purpose, due to my distate for it's apparent advocacy of killing endangered species just for the sport of it.
    Mario's been getting away with for years, you play Mario games? (Ok sniderman beat me to it :-)

(The problem for you should be 'killing animals' period. No animals should be killed, regardless of them being endangered or not, even less for 'sport' (They call murder sport? How convenient!).

Last edited by tom; 01-22-2009 at 01:31 AM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I didn't realize that shooting a tiger that is mauling your leg is considered "killing for sport"

I played the heck out of the first Tomb Raider, but kind of lost interest after that one.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
    Hey, me too!!

In fact I just purchased all 4 titles on the PS1 just this week, waiting for them to arrive.

What a coincidence.
    There are 5 of 'em for Playstation. Although, the fifth one, Chronicles, is pretty crappy overall, and The Last Revelation is a lot better on Dreamcast.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.