Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you keep spare/backup systems? Should I keep a spare Vectrex?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Default Do you keep spare/backup systems? Should I keep a spare Vectrex?

So, do you keep spares? I have some, not really because I think I'll need them necessarily, but usually more because they aren't worth selling. I have one of each model Saturn for example. I have both models of NES, but they are both hooked up in different parts of the house.

I was originally just going to ask about my Vectrex situation, but decided to broaden the topic.

I currently have 2 Vectrexes (Vectrii?) both in good working order after I fixed a controller and other minor work on one. I love these machines, but honestly don't play it enough, and never will, such that I'm worried about wearing one out. Are there other compelling reasons to keep a spare? I don't know much about failure rates on these; am I likely to pull it out one day next year and it simply not work? 5 years? 10 years? Remember I'm not even playing on a weekly basis, so fatigue I would consider an issue.

Well, I just checked eBay to see what I might get for it if I sold it, and it just isn't worth it to sell. Prices have dropped in half in the past few months. I guess higher ticket (>$20) high shipping items are the first to take hits in this economy. I'm still curious about some of those questions, though.

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have a spare NES, and a spare genesis, although i wouldnt exactly consider it a spare. The genesis seems like a pretty durable system to me, and I dont enjoy my library for it that much anyways. It sorta just happened that i got a second and and have yet to sell it.

EDIT - Considering your vectrex issue, I do not know. I only ever laid eyes on one once, and it was seriously so deeply covered in dust I assumed it was broken. I think they're pretty hard to find, and not very durable, so i'd reccommend keeping it until this recession ends.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

For me, spare systems serve a lot of purposes.

1. In case one breaks down or wears out. Especially a disc based system like the Dreamcast or Saturn.

2. You never know when somebody is going to post a WTB ad here on this forum (or another forum) looking for a system that you happen to have a spare of and paying good money to boot. Just sit on it for awhile because a good sale is just one post and one buyer away.

3. Good trade bait, which sort of goes along with point #2. You never know when someone will want to swap a system you want for a system you have a spare of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had my Vectrex for twenty years, and I got it second hand. It still works fine.

Don't drop it and it will work fine, you shouldn't have to keep a spare. Of course, if I had two Vectrex, I would never part with either.

Strawberry (Level 2) Nitrosport's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep duplicates of some consoles just incase one breaks. I have 2 Vectrex consoles myself. One I play, and one is packed in my closet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've got two. One I bought last year in a thrift for $10, but it isn't working properly. The screen image is squished down to the bottom tenth of the screen. They can develop problems, but I don't think it'll happen if you leave it on a shelf for five years.

Wasn't there a game in development that was going to be networked between two machines? I could swear I read about that on a site years back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm all for keeping spares of system. You never know when one will break.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Thokk

I have 2 Saturns and 2 Dreamcasts. One DC is still in a sealed box, just in case.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I keep spare systems myself,mainly incase one breaks..And Really because I can get anything for them(DC,PS,Saturn,NES,SEGA CD,N64,
    ..XBOX,PS2..Forget about how may GameCube's I have now ..

I really do want to clear out all the extras,I just hate taking such a loss.Like what's a DC go for these days

I had recently thought about selling a Vectrex as I also have two,figuring maybe I could get a decent buck for a working unit....But from what I paid for them and the value now I'd be better off keeping the spare...

But..If my original goes(I dread the day) then I have the spare vice versa..
    I know if I only had one I'm going to go nuts trying to get another..Shipping something like this is something I don't want to do nor have one shipped to me.
    The spare I got at the Flea Market for $40.00 AS IS..(was $50.00)...the clip that holds the controller up into the unit was missing so I made one that works perfectly and you'd never know it wasn't the original..
    In 10 years of flea market and garage sale hunting that was the only time I saw a Vetrex ..Besides then one I saw for $250.00 with a big hole on it's side way back.

I really like the Vectrex..It's one of those systems I just have to have..

.I actually thought about buying some more and filling up the blocks on the shelf with them..(plugged in ready to go with different games in them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

I would keep the Vectrex. I get rid of any system that I see all the time like Gen, Nes, Snes ect. But the Vectrex I would hold on to. Like you said you've only seen 2 or 3. Not 1000's
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

I'd keep it or like someone else said, keep it as trade bait. I've gotten some great deals with trades. Put it on craigslist or something and say you want to trade for a Neo Geo or 3DO or something. I got my 360 like that, if I tried to sell it outright I never would have gotten enough money to buy a 360.
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Keep it. In the future it may be harder to get spare parts. Like you said, the vlaue of selling it is not too high. You may want to sell it in the future when there is higher demand.

I have a lot of junk systems sitting around, mostly because of risky "as is" buys I've made. However, it gives me piece of mind to know that I have parts for my working systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Spare systems are always good, whether for repairs and parts or trade bait. I have a few spares just in case.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep two working systems just on general principle. Vecs are one of them.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

You know what I never see in retro game stores, ever? A Vectrex. Find a retro store around you, and if they don't have one, sell them one of yours for store credit. Then, someone who doesn't have one can get one at the store (for a heavily inflated price, no doubt), and you can use your store credit to get something you'd like to have more.

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post

Hey Daryll, what's the white mini-arcade device above your Vectrex consoles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have about 8 Atari 2600's but I like having the different models, 6-switch, 4-switch, Vader, junior. I also have 4 7800's, an 800xl, and XEGS and both NES models. I have one of each unit in display cases and backups packed away in the closet. I also have some broken models in the basement but they come in handy.

A prime example was just this past week I picked up a Vader for $4 that appeared dead. It was the TIA chip so I popped one out of an old 6-switch that needs some soldering work and bingo, perfectly working Vader (now in a woody case).

As for Vectrex, as others have said, they're a pretty rare machine. I'd definitely hang on to both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    You know what I never see in retro game stores, ever? A Vectrex. Find a retro store around you, and if they don't have one, sell them one of yours for store credit. Then, someone who doesn't have one can get one at the store (for a heavily inflated price, no doubt), and you can use your store credit to get something you'd like to have more.
    Funny you mention that because a store near me has a loose Vectrex with one controller and no games for $400. Why the high price? Because, and I quote, "thats what they sell for on ebay".

If I was in the mood to argue and show him on his own computer in front of a dozen people how stupid he is I'd never be a customer there anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You mean like how I have 3 N-Gage QD systems (1 for gaming, 1 for phone calls, and 1 has the white screen of death).

I have 2 DC's

I have 4 Genesis (all 3 models + an extra model 2).

I am pretty sure that I have 2 SNES systems as well.

I am pretty sure that I have more dupes, but whatever

Hey, you never know, you never know

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as simple cart based systems go... no I don't keep spares. It's highly unlikely that an NES, Genesis, N64 system I have will break.

And while CD and DVD based systems are far more likely to hit the crapper, I still think it's a little unnecessary to keep a 2nd around. Unless of course it's a saturn or sega cd, which are harder to find at cheap prices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If any of you decide to part with your spare Vectrex, pm me and I'll give a fair price and a good home to it.