Thread: sega saturn imports

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

Default sega saturn imports

I recently bought a saturn and have managed to collect a few decent games for it including the first 2 panzer games.

anyway, i've noticed that japanese imports seem to be relatively cheap on ebay and amazon. i have two questions about this. The first is why so cheap? and the second is do i need some type of adapter to make imports play on my saturn?

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

In order to play imports, you either need an Action Replay 4M Auto Plus, or a modded system. The Action Replay is probably the cheapest and easiest way to go. The cartridge slot on the Saturn sucks, so you may have to reinsert it a few times to get it to recognize.

As far as imports being cheap, that's a relative statement... And it depends on what games you're talking about. Radiant Silvergun, Princess Crown, Twinkle Star Sprites and D&D Collection sell for between 100 and 200 US dollars without exception. They're worth it, but they aren't 'cheap'.

A few import games that run between twenty and fifty that are definite must plays include Pulirula Arcade Gears, Thunder Force V, the Capcom 2D fighters(Xmen vs. Streetfighter, etc.), Steam Gear Mash, Batsugan, and a ton of SNK ports. The action replay also acts as a 4MB RAM cart, so you don't need to worry about picking that up.

There are a few genuinely cheap import games that are must plays for Saturn: Soul Hackers SMT is a great RPG that usually sells for less than ten bucks, for example.

Saturn is awesome, but can get expensive pretty quickly. I hope that helps!

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

G-boobie said everything i was about to say heh. If you need 2d fighter advice i am familiar with most domestic and import fighter for the saturn.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Saturn is expensive, and this is pretty obvious- but you can easily resell any of the expensive games for what you paid for them (or more) down the road- so if there are titles you want to play, like Radiant Silvergun, you can enjoy it for a "deposit" of $200 or whatever it's worth these days.

Enjoy- the Saturn (imports especially) is one of the greatest.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason, my favorite Saturn genre (shooters/shmups) tend to start at $50.00 and go up from there.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gamebrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the JP version of DOOM (which has a better framerate than the US and PAL versions). I also have Deep Fear, King of Fighters 96, and Dead or Alive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

cool, thanks for the info. i'll go ahead and get the action replay.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mister droid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Saturn is a REALLY easy console to mod. It just takes a teeny bit of solder between two jumpers and you can play import titles. I have even seen the mod done temporarily (testing purposes) with a snippet of wire and blue-tac.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

/me looks at thread topic

/me looks at forum posted in

/me moves thread to Import Mania
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ncman071 View Post
    i've noticed that japanese imports seem to be relatively cheap on ebay and amazon. i have two questions about this. The first is why so cheap?
    Since no one else touched on this I will. If you are coming from Playstation collecting and go to Saturn collectiong--you will notice that the vast majority of import games that are available for both systems are much cheaper on the Saturn. For instance, Salamander for PS1 is $60-90 but the same import can be had for $25-45 on the Saturn. Thats just one of many examples. As others have said, theres definitely some expensive(and well worth playing) imports on the Saturn but most of the multiplatform import releases will cost you $20-40 less on the Saturn.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a veritable shitload of cheap great games on the JP Saturn. There are alot of great expensive games, too - but you don't have to start off paying an arm and a leg.

I've noticed that alot of the higher end JP Saturn games seem to be coming down in price alot lately. Like i've seen D&D collection several places for $60-80, and I even saw Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru for under $200. Is the economy taking its toll?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thought this would be a good place for my first post. As far as price goes- it's cheapest to region mod your saturn. If you're fairly good with a soldering iron, there is a switchless region mod you can tackle with about $1.50 in parts and changes region by holding down the reset button. Gamesx.com has both of these guides if I remember correctly. BTW if you have any questions about it, feel free to shoot me a PM as I've done this more than once.

In addition, Smork and the 1 2 P are correct on Saturn having many of the same games for way less, although people will constantly argue over which version is better. Do be weary of some of the cheap JPN Saturn games as they're cheap for a reason. Gamengai.com and segagagadomain.com are great sites for import saturn info. Welcome to the JPN side of SS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    There's a veritable shitload of cheap great games on the JP Saturn. There are alot of great expensive games, too - but you don't have to start off paying an arm and a leg.

I've noticed that alot of the higher end JP Saturn games seem to be coming down in price alot lately. Like i've seen D&D collection several places for $60-80, and I even saw Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru for under $200. Is the economy taking its toll?
    Seems to be.

I know Dracula X on the PC Engine (I know, this is a SS thread) is around 5000yen right now. I would expect to be able to find something like Radiant
    Silvergun for no more than 10,000yen.

Insert Coin (Level 0) boogiecat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    boogiemeow

I think Street Fighter Zero 3 and Final Fight Revenge for the Sega Saturn are also rare and quality games..
    .................................................. ......................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by boogiecat View Post
    I think Street Fighter Zero 3 and Final Fight Revenge for the Sega Saturn are also rare and quality games..
    Street Fighter Zero 3 is not rare (maybe uncommon), and is also pretty expensive on the Saturn, at around 4000-5000yen in most shops, and is barely different than the Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox versions (most people wouldn't notice any difference). Final Fight is usually even more expensive, but is regarded at cr@p by a lot of players. In fact, Capcom Japan didn't even bother to make FF: Revenge. They just pawned it off for Capcom USA to make. That tells me that quality wasn't their top concern.

So, in my opinion, SFZ3 is just uncommon, overpriced and can be found on other more popular systems, and Final Fight Revenge is generally regarded as being not worth the money.

If someone wants Street Fighter on the Saturn, and who wouldn't with the best controllers for fighting out of any system, I'd recommend the Street Fighter Collection. It's got Super Street Fighter Turbo and Street Fighter Zero 2' and only costs 500-1000yen in most used shops in Japan. It should be quite cheap to import.
    Last edited by Breetai; 03-17-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    boogiemeow

I see thanks for those infos...Oh well i've bought a SF Zero 3 and FF Revenge(the one with RAM Carts) a couple of weeks ago and you're right its expensive...

BTW is the Magic Knight Rayearth game on the Sega Saturn was really that rare so does the Twinkle Star Sprites game?
    Last edited by boogiecat; 03-17-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: ye

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I see thanks for those infos...Oh well i've bought a SF Zero 3 and FF Revenge(the one with RAM Carts) a couple of weeks ago and you're right its expensive...

BTW is the Magic Knight Rayearth game on the Sega Saturn was really that rare so does the Twinkle Star Sprites game?
    The jpn magic knight rayearth is common not even rare,still if you are looking for the u.s version that wd publish that is different.The value can very on a u.s (MKR) if it's autograph by vic more if not less.As for TSS that's one that doesn't seem rare to,me at all i all ways see it on ebay and from other importers.The game can be pricey that's all.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Parodius games are good fun, Twinkle Star Sprites is incredible, Sega Rally is still great too.

Street Fighter Zero 2 is definitely worth picking up, it's my all-time fave SF game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    boogiemeow

I've recently found a Magic Knight Rayearth game on the Saturn(Japanese version) and its cheap..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Magic Knight Rayearth is EXTREMELY common. I would never pay more than 500yen for it, CIB. There are often a FEW in places like Hard-Off, and it's commonly seen in the 100yen and 500yen sections of game shops in Akihabara. If it's cheap in Akihabara, than it is VERY common.

Twinkle Star Sprites is uncommon. When I come across it, it's usually 2000-3000yen at least, if not more. I haven't bothered to pick it up, because I can't justify the price right now. Since I have a Neo Geo CD, I might just play it on that until I can afford a "real" copy.

BTW, have you played FF Revenge yet? I've only read... not so nice things about it that I passed on to you, but I'm a bit curious how it really is. I am definitely not curious enough to pay more than a few hundred yen for it, though!!!

The Parodius games are pure awesome. I have Sexy Parodius on the Saturn, and the other three games on the Super Famicom (all of which are available on the Saturn). I recommend any of them.

Personally, I also prefer Street Fighter Zero 2 over 3. I think it's just because I like the music on Zero 2 more.