Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: FC Mobile II and Sega Digital Pocket - New Handhelds from Hyperkin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good news folks.

MegaMan 3 works.

Looks like the factory upgraded the NOAC without even informing us. I'm going to test a few more games. I'll let you guys know.

Update:

Confirmed three games do not work:
    Castlevania III - Sound, no picture
    Paperboy - Game loads but control won't respond.
    (This F%*King pisses me off, the prototype FCM 2 on my desk works with Paperboy but the final product doesn't)
    Battletoads - Lockup at level two, rest of the game works fine.
    Last edited by tofu; 03-23-2009 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Your lucky... You get to see the handheld in real life.
    DERP

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

See; even clone/knock off systems think playing Battletoads past level 2 is too frustrating
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diosoth View Post
    I don't know if there is a fully-tested "entire list" but these seem to be the big problem games-

Ms. Pac Man
    Beast Wrestler
    Sunset Riders
    Golden Axe 2
    Exile
    John Madden Football
    Forgotten Worlds
    Ms. Pac Man has problems pressing up.
    Sunset Riders won't load pass the Konami sign
    I could not detect any problems with Golden Axe 2

Still need to get the other cartridges to test.

And I'm guessing the cartridge slots on both will only take US/Euro-type games? The angles of the console's cart slot seem to indicate that.
    They told us region free but I firmly believe that to be false. I need to get my hands on some foreign cartridges. Anybody live in Southern California?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    Ms. Pac Man has problems pressing up.
    Sunset Riders won't load pass the Konami sign
    I could not detect any problems with Golden Axe 2

Still need to get the other cartridges to test.
    The mode button has to be held down when the system is turned on to bypass the controller subroutine check the games do. The big problem is most of these games were made BEFORE the 6-button controller was designed.

They told us region free but I firmly believe that to be false. I need to get my hands on some foreign cartridges. Anybody live in Southern California?
    Region free hardware won't mean jack crap if the cartridges don't fit. Euro carts are the same as US, but Japan uses larger, wider cartridges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The mode button has to be held down when the system is turned on to bypass the controller subroutine check the games do. The big problem is most of these games were made BEFORE the 6-button controller was designed.

Region free hardware won't mean jack crap if the cartridges don't fit. Euro carts are the same as US, but Japan uses larger, wider cartridges.
    Heh... this is the reason I don't post on Sega16... what's a mode button?

Once I get a Japanese cartridge I'll check the size and possible compatibility.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be fair to my retailing and e-commerce clients, preorders will wait until I have an actual arrival date. The factory has confirmed that the first batch is ready for shipment but the harbor has not yet cleared the contents.

I'm aware of the controllers made by Messiah, a friend of mine actually owns a pair. They're great controllers but I would never buy one for myself considering the high price point and lack of compatibility outside of their own system.

RF ain't cheap though and while the lot of you are diehard classic gamers, I have to cater to the more casual crowd, my bosses are not going to spend too much money in development because our retro gaming section is still very small. As a matter of fact, I'm a one man department.

I hope none of you have searched for the Hyperkin 8bit controller because it is downright hideous. I see no real reason to recreate the rectangle original either since those are so widely available. Right now I'm debating a whole new ergonomic oversized design for older gamers, or the original v2.0 dogbone controller.

Some feedback on your ideal NES controllers would be appreciated. I spoke to a few DP members at MGC and I thank them for their insights.
    As I understand it, the NES and SNES controllers use the same internal control circuit. There's a simple rewiring mod that will allow a Super NES controller to work on an NES. Just change the cords out.

Theoretically, you could make a standard SNES controller and add a 2nd NES plug to it, which should make it compatible with both systems.

You already have a working RF wireless NES controller for the FC Mobile 2. The trick would be to build a receiver for the console.

One thing that ticks me off about the Messiah controllers is that they're sold 2 per pack. I only need 1.

There could also stand to be retro-type controllers for the previous gen. The Gamecube had Hori's digital controller for the GB Player but it had a super-limited production run. Pelican made their own but it seems to be even rarer. PS2 had the Retrocon(which is supposedly okay) and the Nuby Street Fighter pad, which is excellent. The Xbox had... the Nuby SF pad, which unlike the PS2 version, is rather terrible.

Or possibly adaptors to use old controllers, but they'd need a circuit to adapt the controlelr signals.

I find the standard Gamecube and Xbox controllers suck when playing 2D platorm games, especially stuff such as the old game compilations.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh... this is the reason I don't post on Sega16... what's a mode button?

Once I get a Japanese cartridge I'll check the size and possible compatibility.
    I'm guessing your prototype console doesn't have one if you can't find it.

This is the basic 6-button Sega controller. You can't see the mode button because they put it on top, like a shoulder button. This is their later model with a turbo switch, and is the one I own. Start button is purple and the mode button is right beside it.

If the controllers included with the console and the handheld lack that button, those games won't be playable. Funny, the image you showed up has what appears to be the mode button, but sounds like your working model doesn't match that. At the very least, they should label it if it's ever installed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You already have a working RF wireless NES controller for the FC Mobile 2. The trick would be to build a receiver for the console.
    I wish we had done RF, but the price per unit would have gone up pass a certain point. We're using IR right now and it works but can be easily blocked by passing human bodies and the range is slightly over ten feet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

It should be fine. I will most likely use it, personally, for portable use only. That is until my FCTwin bites it.
    DERP

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Same for me. Any idea on exact release?

Oh, and I just noticed the Sega Pluto name for the Genesis handheld. Pretty cool.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish we had done RF, but the price per unit would have gone up pass a certain point. We're using IR right now and it works but can be easily blocked by passing human bodies and the range is slightly over ten feet.
    Well, crap. My setup currently won't allow for IR stuff anyway as all the consoles sit off to the side. It's hard to keep direct contact when you're not even facing the consoles.

Unfortunately, while I'm looking forward to the Genesis stuff, the FC Mobile isn't of great interest to me anyway as I barely play the NES carts I own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Same for me. Any idea on exact release?

Oh, and I just noticed the Sega Pluto name for the Genesis handheld. Pretty cool.
    I never have exact release dates, the factories give me shady estimates and the harbors are even worse.

You like the name? I changed it after I found out my boss came up with that silly retroGEN name and I could effectively name them whatever I wanted. He thought "retro genesis" would be cool and I felt that "retro generation" would be great for a sub brand but definitely not for individual products.

Either way, Sega has many of their products after planets. Earth and Pluto weren't taken yet so we snagged them up. Our next Sega product will be named Uranus...
    Last edited by tofu; 03-23-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is SO WEIRD about the Battletoads thing. I recently got a RetroDuo, which is a wonderful machine and outputs a great picture and plays everything I put in it -except that it locks up in Stage 2 as well.

I'm on the fence about the FC Mobile 2, but the news that the NOAC has been improved now puts it in my radar of interest. I love MegaMan 3, and if the FCM2 can play Iron Tank without freezing the game when the select button is used during play, then it just might be a winner.

Of course, this is all happening in the launch window of the DSi, so that's where that big chunk of change is already going to next month.

I'm looking forward to the portable Genesis the most, and I'm willing to wait while the hardware issues are perfected.

Insert Coin (Level 0) boogiecat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    boogiemeow

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    Yes, I believe there is a power adaptor this time around.
    Wow that's great news,thanks now i will buy these item once its gets released...My friend who's also a fan of these types of consoles wanted these for his collection..
    .................................................. ......................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Im so excited.. I just cant hide it... Im sorry I had to say it.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I never have exact release dates, the factories give me shady estimates and the harbors are even worse.

You like the name? I changed it after I found out my boss came up with that silly retroGEN name and I could effectively name them whatever I wanted. He thought "retro genesis" would be cool and I felt that "retro generation" would be great for a sub brand but definitely not for individual products.

Either way, Sega has many of their products after planets. Earth and Pluto weren't taken yet so we snagged them up. Our next Sega product will be named Uranus...
    They also used planet names for the codenames during development like Mars with 32X and the ill-fated Neptune.

Oh, and technically Pluto isn't a planet. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Package Contents:
    •AC Adapter
    •2 Wireless Controllers
    •1 Wireless Gun
    •TV Out Cable
    •FC Mobile 2 Console/System
    SOLD! ...and I already own a FC Mobile...

And I can't wait for the Pluto either...

Um, as a native English speaker with grade school appreciation of scatological humor, I'd really recommend against that...
    Last edited by Jimid2; 03-23-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm thinking of killing off the Gaia.

I just learned that the price point is not going to be low. As a matter of fact, it'll cost more than any refurbished original unit you could pickup in any retro store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

What, is it going to be the $80 that those original CES articles guessed? I'm going to buy it no matter what, as long as it's not in the $100's.

I thought you said yourself that the Gaia was pointless because you could readily find them anywhere (heck, most game stores I know use them as doorstops) and that it was a contractual obligation or something.