Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: FC Mobile II and Sega Digital Pocket - New Handhelds from Hyperkin.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    *desperately crosses fingers* lol. The idea of playing NES in portable system is nice to say the least. Especcially with an AC adaptor
    That must be why it looks so much bigger than the original.

Still, it's worth it for the correct button configuration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

are these being sold anywhere yet, espically the sega one? When are these supposed to come out? I googled with no avail. Any help would be great, thanks, John
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I have done a lot of looking around and there is very little information on either of these new handhelds.
    DERP

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Huh?

How was that not clear? Who holds their thumbs in such a way that this setup is convenient to keep B pressed while using A for jump in a game like Super Mario Brothers? You all are just looking at this and seeing that B is to the left of A and acting like a miracle occurred, when its just as useless this way thanks to the locations they picked. Its good that the buttons are now not opposite of what they should be, but its hardly an ideal button layout for playing many NES games.

Once again, if the A button had actually been placed where the B button is presently on this unit, and the B button had been placed where BB is (I assume this is a turbo function for B), it would've been perfect and natural to use when playing a side scroller to keep B pressed to run while using A to jump.
    I don't think it'll be as bad as you think.

Yes, they're on a bit of an angle, but being in the correct order makes a tremendous difference.

If the buttons are small enough to at least rock your thumb between I'm sure it'll be at the very least passable and at the worst playable after a bit of practice.

In the systems current state it's damned near impossible to cradle the B button and hit A for a jump ... at least 20+ years of doing it the right way makes it impossible to re-learn how to do it backwards.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    In the systems current state it's damned near impossible to cradle the B button and hit A for a jump ... at least 20+ years of doing it the right way makes it impossible to re-learn how to do it backwards.
    I was going to buy the FC Mobile, even with the button worries, just before I found these new Fc Mobile 2 pics. Im glad I looked around first.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

80$!?

Who said it'd retail for $80?

My name is Paul and I happen to work for Hyperkin and I was part of the staff that attended CES 2009 and we have never ever mentioned the retail price. We wanted to bring something new to the show so we asked for a prototype. Nothing about the FC Mobile v2.0 is set in stone yet.

I have not seen any discoloration problems on the FC Mobile. The first version worked fine so I don't see why we'd have that sort of problem on the next version.

As for the design, look and features of the FC Mobile v2.0, those are details which are still being worked on. I'm actually looking for feedback and any comments you might have would be appreciated.

Some of the change requests I've heard so far: (I hope this copies and pastes well).

• No reset button, unnecessary.
    • Two toned grey with red buttons to match the original Nintendo controller would be great. Since we have four buttons, you may wish to see the beloved Nintendo MAX controller:
    o http://www.axess.com/twilight/consol...il/nes_max.jpg
    • Get rid of excess markings like the diagonals on the D-pad and the semi-circles around the buttons.
    • Screen:
    o An option to adjust brightness.
    o Recess the screen – prevents glare (I don’t actually understand how that would prevent glare, but they said it and I’m passing it along).
    • Oval shaped Select and Start buttons just like the original controller.
    • Two speaker slots on each side have fanatics worried we’re going to attempt stereo sound. Attempts to improve the sound on 8bit systems generally tend to fail miserably.
    o Most “famiclones” have poor sound. Nobody seems to know why but so far the best sound still comes from the original.
    • The D-pad looks the same as the Playstation 1 controller which was generally despised. The PS1 had four individual buttons and attempting to slide between the buttons for full circle or half circle movements would actually cause blisters over time.
    o I know the D-pad for the FC Mobile is not made up of four individual buttons, but it certainly looks that way and should be changed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    80$!?

Who said it'd retail for $80?

My name is Paul and I happen to work for Hyperkin and I was part of the staff that attended CES 2009 and we have never ever mentioned the retail price. We wanted to bring something new to the show so we asked for a prototype. Nothing about the FC Mobile v2.0 is set in stone yet.

I have not seen any discoloration problems on the FC Mobile. The first version worked fine so I don't see why we'd have that sort of problem on the next version.

As for the design, look and features of the FC Mobile v2.0, those are details which are still being worked on. I'm actually looking for feedback and any comments you might have would be appreciated.

Some of the change requests I've heard so far: (I hope this copies and pastes well).

• No reset button, unnecessary.
    • Two toned grey with red buttons to match the original Nintendo controller would be great. Since we have four buttons, you may wish to see the beloved Nintendo MAX controller:
    o http://www.axess.com/twilight/consol...il/nes_max.jpg
    • Get rid of excess markings like the diagonals on the D-pad and the semi-circles around the buttons.
    • Screen:
    o An option to adjust brightness.
    o Recess the screen – prevents glare (I don’t actually understand how that would prevent glare, but they said it and I’m passing it along).
    • Oval shaped Select and Start buttons just like the original controller.
    • Two speaker slots on each side have fanatics worried we’re going to attempt stereo sound. Attempts to improve the sound on 8bit systems generally tend to fail miserably.
    o Most “famiclones” have poor sound. Nobody seems to know why but so far the best sound still comes from the original.
    • The D-pad looks the same as the Playstation 1 controller which was generally despised. The PS1 had four individual buttons and attempting to slide between the buttons for full circle or half circle movements would actually cause blisters over time.
    o I know the D-pad for the FC Mobile is not made up of four individual buttons, but it certainly looks that way and should be changed
    Alright, chance to talk to someone close to this thing.

First off, keep the reset button. Some of us like that security blanket with our RPGs. I have lost a game with my Mobile when I didn't hold reset (Crystalis).

Secondly, thank the gods you fixed the button locations! I would argue that the turbos aren't needed, but some may disagree. Whatever cranks yer cheese wheel I suppose.

I highly recommend making the D-Pad resemble the Genesis controller's pad. A plastic disc with indentations. With the Mobile, I can sometimes press left and right at the same time when I slide my thumb between the two real fast (firing behind me), and sometimes that can freak a game out (I can shoot a stationary Metal Blade in Megaman II, can't enter the weapon menu when a shot from a weapon is onscreen, you see why this is bad).

More compatibility is always nice. I know you can't get 100%, but hey... as close as you can get is good for me.

Make sure there isn't much "wiggle room" for the cart... make it fit a bit snug. Sometimes the game will lock when the cart bumps about (and it can crack solder joints).

Well, those are my suggestions /soapbox
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Sabz5150.

First off, keep the reset button. Some of us like that security blanket with our RPGs. I have lost a game with my Mobile when I didn't hold reset (Crystalis).
    Right now the FC Mobile v2.0 has a reset button on the top, next to the cartridge. When I was testing this prototype I accidentally hit it twice (I'm used to using L-R buttons) and on the FC Mobile v1.0 it's far too close to the B-A buttons. So if you want a reset button, let me know where to comfortably put it.

I highly recommend making the D-Pad resemble the Genesis controller's pad. A plastic disc with indentations.
    I wanted a classic looking D-pad. While I do think functionality is more important that looks, I do have to consider the shelf appeal.

More compatibility is always nice. I know you can't get 100%, but hey... as close as you can get is good for me.
    Famiclones use NOAC technology so we have limitations. We do have a list of games that have always been trouble and we're aiming for about 99% compatibility.

Make sure there isn't much "wiggle room" for the cart... make it fit a bit snug. Sometimes the game will lock when the cart bumps about (and it can crack solder joints).
    I didn't even consider this a concern. Since the 72 pin connectors are brand new, it might even be too tight when new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Any idea on potential release dates?
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They told me March but I seriously doubt it.

Even after the FC Mobile v2.0 is released we're going to continue to offer the original. The FC Mobile v2.0 will come with controllers and a gun so expect the cost to be higher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Any information on the ambiguous Genesis/Megadrive handheld at the CES?
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure, that unit is going to be called the retroGENmobile and will be licensed by SEGA once we finish haggling over the royalties.

In my opinion it's a superior product because it does come with a decent rechargeable battery and the twenty games built in. But we all know Nintendo dominated the gaming industry in those days and the following for SEGA just isn't as strong.

I can't figure out how to post the picture... damn my feeble mind...

Anyways, the twenty games for the retroGENmobile have not yet been determined. We have a large catalog of games to chose from but SEGA doesn't want us hurting the retro market by plugging in the top sellers.

Comments on that handheld are also appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lost in this conversation seems to be the retroGEN.

It's a remake of the original console (supposed to be shaped like Sonic's head but I fail to see it). Comes with twelve games built in and two wireless controllers.

I don't know why SEGA asked us to come out with both products at the same time. I believe the sales for the consoles will suffer with a handheld alternative.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Paul.

I'm (one of the) resident clone system collectors on the boards.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and give us some potential specs for the FC Mobile 2.

I've got to ask ... were you on board during the development of the FC Mobile 1 ... and if so, what in the world prompted the reverse-button layout?

Games like Punch-Out and Super Mario Bros are downright un-playable with backwards buttons.

While I'm glad to see that that has been corrected in the design (or at least in the prototype) of the FC Mobile 2 ... it also might serve better from an ergonomic/usage standpoint if you level out the buttons instead of having them on SUCH a dramatic angle.

Also, the "discoloration" does happen frequently on-screen and I've seen it happen on multiple FC Mobile units. It's a complete color palette shift where greens become purples and oranges become blues etc. I've never seen it happen on any other Famicom/NES clone that I've ever used ... it can be alleviated by powering the unit down and then back on again.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-05-2009 at 03:43 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

The idea of a rechargable battery scares me due to eventual battery death. That is unless its pretty generic and has an AC adaptor.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Also, the "discoloration" does happen frequently on-screen and I've seen it happen on multiple FC Mobile units. It's a complete color palette shift where greens become purples and oranges become blues etc. I've never seen it happen on any other Famicom/NES clone that I've ever used ... it's can be alleviated by powering the unit down and then back on again.
    I have seen this as well. Reset the thing about seven or eight times rather quickly... that's guaranteed to make it happen. Sure, that's not "normal use", but it will give you the effect he describes.
    Wants:
    Starflight II Starmap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got to ask ... were you on board during the development of the FC Mobile 1 ... and if so, what in the world prompted the reverse-button layout?
    That reverse button layout is a joke around here. Our original design had the buttons in place correctly but some genius at the factory thought he was doing us a huge favor by correcting our mistake.

We still have a large stock of original FC Mobiles so I wouldn't expect the problem to be fixed unless you get a FC Mobile v2.0

The idea of a rechargable battery scares me due to eventual battery death. That is unless its pretty generic and has an AC adaptor.
    Don't worry, we'll sell replacement batteries for a gazillion dollars each.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Don't worry, we'll sell replacement batteries for a gazillion dollars each.
    *CRIES*

Ok anyways, I cant wait. My nes games are calling to me for portable awesomeness. That and my Genesis games.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Right now the FC Mobile v2.0 has a reset button on the top, next to the cartridge. When I was testing this prototype I accidentally hit it twice (I'm used to using L-R buttons) and on the FC Mobile v1.0 it's far too close to the B-A buttons. So if you want a reset button, let me know where to comfortably put it.
    I'd recommend putting it about a half inch to an inch to the right of the power button (if the layout is the same as the original Mobile). It keeps it out of normal finger pressing range unless you're holding it in a non-playing fashion.
    Wants:
    Starflight II Starmap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

looking good anyway