Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Retro Game Challenge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I need to go back and finish this someday. Only halfway done, but I loved the first half.

I wish we had gotten the sequel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    That's in free play though. In the regular game mode, the final challenge on all games is to clear the game, so you won't see the ending of Retro Game Challenge until you finish all games on the normal mode.
    What? Really? Oh bugger.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fired this up last night after a couple of years away and started playing again. Finished the last challenge for Star Prince (For some reason I remember thinking when I last played that this challenge was going to be difficult, but did it with ease on my first try last night). I'm halfway through Rally King SP now and not having much trouble.

Then it's off to do the challenges for Haggle Man 2 & 3 and Guardia Quest (The only one I think that might pose any real problem for me, I've never really played traditional JRPG's).

Great game, it's such a shame that this went largely ignored when it was released and killed our chances of getting the sequel.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-10-2011 at 02:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Fired this up last night after a couple of years away and started playing again. Finished the last challenge for Star Prince (For some reason I remember thinking when I last played that this challenge was going to be difficult, but did it with ease on my first try last night). I'm halfway through Rally King SP now and not having much trouble.

Then it's off to do the challenges for Haggle Man 2 & 3 and Guardia Quest (The only one I think that might pose any real problem for me, I've never really played traditional JRPG's).

Great game, it's such a shame that this went largely ignored when it was released and killed our chances of getting the sequel.
    For almost all the challenges there are cheats / easter eggs listed in the in-game magazines to beat them super easily or quickly. This makes it easier to do the final "beat every game" challenge.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks, but I haven't really had a need for cheats so far since nothing has taken more than a try or two. But I finished up HaggleMan 2 tonight and didn't much care for my first few minutes of that RPG, so I suppose I might have to resort to cheats if I'm going to suffer through this RPG (Or at the very least, glance at a faq).

Loading up a game last night failed and the little boy asked me what to do and the options were to blow on the end of the cartridge or lick. I thought that was a nice little touch to get a cartridge blowing reference in there.

I should've picked lick and see what they said.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-12-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so I suppose I might have to resort to cheats if I'm going to suffer through this RPG (Or at the very least, glance at a faq).
    The mags right there on the shelf which are pretty much an integral part of the game. You're supposed to read them, get a feel like you're back in the 80's reading the latest mags on the latest games, and finding tricks and secrets from them.

Although yeah I believe they make you finish a number of challenges before they give you the ones that spill the beans on the bigger cheats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still love this game...still pissed that they aren't gonna localize the sequel
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    The mags right there on the shelf which are pretty much an integral part of the game. You're supposed to read them, get a feel like you're back in the 80's reading the latest mags on the latest games, and finding tricks and secrets from them.
    Like I said, nothing has been difficult with the first few challenges I did when this first came out. And the last few games I've worked through over the past few evenings (after returning to it thanks to this thread reminding me I had it sitting here incomplete) have been easy enough. This is pretty elementary stuff for the average Digital Press user.

I'm just reading the magazines as they come out and hitting the chat button between each challenge for the fun of it and the atmosphere (For an example of one of the things your friend will tell you when you talk to him, he told me he heard from a friend that if you threw weapons into a swamp just East of the town I saved in, I'd be given better weapons in return).

Mostly, I just don't like Japanese RPG's so I wasn't looking forward to getting to this game.

Edit - How long does Cosmic Gate last? Advanced past level 30 tonight in free play before a series of stupid mistakes used up my spare life supply. Was hoping to finish it up (I've completed Rally King and Rally King SP version in 1st place for all races, and finished both run throughs in Haggle Man 1 to get the real ending so far for games finished).

Or in the fine tradition of early 80's arcade games that it was modeled off, does it have no ending at all?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-10-2014 at 02:59 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Cosmic Gate ends at level 64 so you'll want to use warps.

*edit*

Thought it was 99, it's actually 64.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-13-2011 at 02:05 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Cosmic Gate ends at level 99 so you'll want to use warps.
    I saw a mention of those in the magazine, but haven't actually encountered any. I'm sure the magazine told me how (I think it said they advance you three levels, so it probably also told how to activate them), but just in case, how do I activate them?

Also something popped out of an asteroid in one of the bonus rounds. I've never seen it before and missed it since I wasn't expecting it and navigated away immediately to continue shooting asteroids. Was that one of those warps or some sort of powerup? Was a 1-up, I thought that was what I was getting going for the largest asteroids but those are just extra points, not extra lives.

Nice game, easy to dismiss with things like the vertically scrolling shooter available, but it's a fun Galaga clone.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-13-2011 at 02:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Hey sorry. I edited it afterwards. Ends at 64. I'm not exactly sure, I think you go to the very right or left without shooting an enemy and start shooting at an invisible warp gate. It should detail it in one of the magazines.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Shoot the flashing enemy first, without attacking other enemies. Then shoot the gate that appears on the side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Shoot the flashing enemy first, without attacking other enemies. Then shoot the gate that appears on the side.
    Made it pitifully easy. Took all of 10 minutes to get to the end. lol

I think I could do it for real though if I try again. Just need to take a break since after 30 levels or so, my hands start to cramp up (The various DS models aren't the most comfortable handhelds I've ever played).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-13-2011 at 03:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I just looked it up, you don't get the magazine until after you complete every challenge up to finish all games. On the first stage, you need to shoot 64 times without hitting any enemies. A warp gate will appear that takes you to level 64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Did the 64 levels of Cosmic Gate without warps by taking two breaks and did the full two run throughs of Star Price tonight, albeit with a couple of continues during the 2nd run through (I've gone through all 4 levels a few days ago, but didn't bother to do the 2nd play through until now to get the ending). Also did the cheat to warp directly to the last level in Cosmic Gate that you mentioned, just for the heck of it.

Getting bored with Guadia Quest. For challenge #4, I'm tasked to kill a boss on floor 4F in a dungeon I can't recall the name of at the moment.

Does anyone know where this dungeon is located in the overworld? GameFaqs wasn't much help and I'm ready to move on (Already used the cheat to skip to the end credits, I don't intend to play this one to the finish, at least for now, even though I've finished every other game so far honestly).

I'm not a JRPG fan and I'm getting a bit bored with Guadia Quest and want to wrap it up now (My characters are level 15). Had more fun with it than I expected, but this rpg is getting a bit too repetitive now and I want to play Haggle Man 3 (Which is sadly the end of this game). Also, is there are more than two towns? I think I've seen most all of the overworld, but I'm wondering if there is perhaps something I've missed.

I've heard of a fan translation project for the sequel. I'll have to look into that if it's already released or ever comes out.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-16-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Does anyone know where this dungeon is located in the overworld?
    South west.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

South west.
    Thanks, I'll head in that direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This stupid dungeon is getting on my nerves. Wandered and wandered around it and killed enough enemies to level everyone up from level 15 to level 19.

Hope I stumble across the path I'm missing to progress further in this. Sure wish there was a dungeon map in this game like a Zelda game would have.

Is there more to a game like Phantasy Star than this? Seems awfully plain and repetitive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This stupid dungeon is getting on my nerves. Wandered and wandered around it and killed enough enemies to level everyone up from level 15 to level 19.

Hope I stumble across the path I'm missing to progress further in this. Sure wish there was a dungeon map in this game like a Zelda game would have.

Is there more to a game like Phantasy Star than this? Seems awfully plain and repetitive.
    As suggested by the magazine, there's a very convenient place for grinding in the dungeon (i.e. right next to an auto-heal spot) pretty close to the entrance. It's kind of easy to miss, I guess.

And of course it is important to upgrade your Gaudia when a better one comes along.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've upgraded my gaudia several times (I'm using a fire one at present, although I'm not sure if he's much of an upgrade over the one that pops up everywhere, if he's even an upgrade at all). And I'm a high enough level that I haven't been challenged by anything for quite a while now (Unless I run across one of the guadias of the guy that hands out the challenges, which I'm not anywhere close to being in a position to beat just yet and probably never will be). I'm just wandering around in this dungeon without being sure where I should head to next. Health isn't an issue.

Edit - Found and beat the boss just now. Once I realized there were secret passages through the walls (Not knowing that was why my progress had stalled out), I reached the end without much effort.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-19-2011 at 09:59 AM.