Thread: Microsoft MSX 2?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Microsoft MSX 2?

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some answers on this system. I was searching about on a few websites and saw a few things about he MSX computer. I'd like to know if it might be worth collecting for. Here are my questions.

1. Was the MSX 1 or 2 newer than say an Atari 130XE or C64/128?

2. Were its games better than the above systems? If so what computer or console would you say its games were on par with? Atari 7800, Nintendo for example.

3. Is there a lot of software in English or is this a Asian and South American system mostly? I ask that because I never heard of this system before recently.

Well, thats all I guess. I appreciate any info anyone might have. Also, if you know of a site that has screenshots for games and software for the system please let me know. I'd be interested in sites like Lemon64 (C64) or AtariAge (Atari and Atari8 8-bit).

Thanks
    John
    John Von Draugr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Er, I'm pretty sure Microsoft never made an MSX computer. I'm also quite sure that it was never sold in North America, so there probably aren't many English titles.

The main processor of the MSX is an 8-bit Z80, which is the same processor used in the Game Boy, Master System, Colecovision, and Aquarius, if that helps give you an idea of the technology at the time. Not that technology necessarily means all that much... There's an official sequel to Metal Gear for the MSX that many peope rate very highly. Early versions of Castlevania, Contra, and Snatcher were also available for the MSX.
    ________
    Gm Foods
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:27 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MSX stands for Micrsoft X, because that was the OS it used.

Several manufacturers made MSX consoles. Toshiba among them.

Many titles were released in Europe, so atleast those should be in English.

Some titles are very collectible. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is incredibly rare for instance.

For a good sample of MSX titles check out Konami Antiques MSX collection for the Saturn. It is somewhat rare in its own right.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I've seen, MSX-1 is nearly identical to the ColecoVision/ADAM, and the MSX-2 is similar to something like a SNES in terms of graphics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ah, my mistake. How did Microsoft get involved with a Japanese computer, though? I know CP/M was originally a Z80-based OS, and that MS-DOS is sort of based on CP/M. Does that have something to do with it?
    ________
    Kitchen Measures
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Microsoft MSX 2?

Well, there's a good number of English titles, since the MSX and MSX2 were pretty popular outside Japan. The one title that comes to mind is Vampire Killer (i.e. Castlevania, just...different) released in Europe.

Now you'll hear Microsoft mentioned because Microsoft supported the project from the start until the MSX2. They dropped it after that (either at the MSX2 or after, I think after the MSX2 but I'm not sure). They NEVER made or sold their own system, but rather made the OS for it (i.e. burned onto ROM inside the system).

Basically, the MSX2 was Microsoft's first video game console, but they didn't do much at all with it.

The MSX2 was also popular in the former Soviet Union (I've seen a picture of somebody using one on Mir!) and Brazil, where the Odyssey^2 was pretty much the only console around until the MSX appeared.

And:
    http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/vkill.htm