Thread: Xbox 360 dash update to bring HDMI audio fix [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Xbox 360 dash update to bring HDMI audio fix [Joystiq]

Those not experiencing audio from your Xbox 360 HDMI connection can stop complaining. Not only because your whining was becoming irritating, but because Microsoft has a solution that's coming soon.

Major Nelson just informed us that a mandatory 360 dashboard update will be released this Tuesday morning at 2:00AM pacific and will fix the HDMI audio problems some have been experiencing. As always, dashboard updates will only begin rolling out at 2:00AM pacific, so it may take a while before actually being prompted to download.Xbox 360 dash update to bring HDMI audio fix originally appeared on Joystiq on Mon, 02 Feb 2009 20:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I hope this will also address another issue I have that I have yet to see elsewhere. 360 is hooked up HDMI, but when I boot up, my receiver boots into PCM 2.0 instead of Dolby 5.1. I have to turn the system off and then back on, which then corrects itself. I know it's a techie question better suited for AVS, but I've been waiting for this patch I knew was coming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Erm ... I didn't have any HDMI issues at all prior to this week's update, but whatever they did absolutely toasted something.

Now I have no audio over HDMI, and instead of "HDTV Settings" in the Display settings, I have "Screen Resolution" with a bunch of PC-style resolution options (such as 1920x1080 instead of "1080p). I assume it's seeing my HDTV as a computer monitor now, which may be related to the audio issue.

I'm most furious because of the hour I spent on the phone with the 1-800-4MY-XBOX drone in India, trying to get at some sort of level 2 tech support so I could explain the issue to someone who understands. I install and calibrate home theater systems for a living, yet I found myself arguing with her over the fact that an HDMI cable does not have an HDTV/Analog switch on it (like their component cable does).

In the end, she simply said "I am all there is" in response to me demanding point blank that I speak to someone at level two or in engineering. Incredible.

Anyone else having new issues after the update?
    DP Buy/Sell feedback is here: GM80's Feedback Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GM80 View Post

I'm most furious because of the hour I spent on the phone with the 1-800-4MY-XBOX drone in India
    I must ask why this is. When I purchased my first 360, I unpacked and hooked it up to be greeted with an error immediately. After a rapid net search, I found the HD was bad. I contacted them as well and got ahold of somebody in India. Their solution was to send the whole machine to them at MY expense and I would receive a replacement in a few weeks. I told them I could just go back to the store right now, and they said "Well do that then". I did.

I am not lucky enough to own an HDTV (yet), but I shiver at the thought of the problems that may be in my future regarding hookup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just hooked my 360 up via an hdmi cable earlier today. As far as audio goes, while playing a few demos(and watching certain trailers) the audio would break up alittle bit during loud moments of audio. It was kind of like....as if my tv speakers weren't capable of handling all the audio. But it only did it a few times.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

I guess I might be one of the few that has had no problems with my 360 yet.. I hope it stays that way...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I should probably clarify that the problem with the tech support agent was not in the fact that she was Indian, but that she was obviously reading a script and had no idea what I was trying to explain.

Add to that, then, the fact that she didn't understand half of what I said (my "Display Resolutions" became "Family Restrictions"), I didn't understand half of what she said, and obvious cultural differences made us completely off-putting to each other.

And yes, the solution was to send it in for repairs or purchase a new HDMI cable from them, wait for it to arrive, test it, and call back. Riiiiiight. My HDMI cable failed within minutes of installing your latest update ...

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I just hooked my 360 up via an hdmi cable earlier today. As far as audio goes, while playing a few demos(and watching certain trailers) the audio would break up alittle bit during loud moments of audio.
    In the issue at stake here, you get part of the opening "whoosh" of the startup screen ... then nothing. At all. Count yourself lucky
    Last edited by GM80; 02-05-2009 at 12:50 AM.
    DP Buy/Sell feedback is here: GM80's Feedback Thread

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank God this kicked in! I had so much hell with HDMI!

I was a victim of this. What happens, is the sound is cut off to dead silence without warning. It happened to me during Left 4 Dead, Halo 3, Fable 2, Fallout 3, and any Guitar Hero or Rock Band games. A real pain in the butt and frustrating. So thanks Microsoft for hearing those e-mails!
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I haven't had any dead audio issues so this problem doesn't really relate to me. Thats good because I decided to go with hdmi cables to enjoy my 720p picture to the fullest and I am.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DP ServBot View Post
    Not only because your whining was becoming irritating,
    Well it's good it was getting irritating wasnt it? That's probably why it got fixed.. the squeaky wheel gets the grease after all!

But really, if they force software down your throat that breaks functionality in something you gave money for, don't roll over and take it. You better complain, and complain loudly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    I hope this will also address another issue I have that I have yet to see elsewhere. 360 is hooked up HDMI, but when I boot up, my receiver boots into PCM 2.0 instead of Dolby 5.1. I have to turn the system off and then back on, which then corrects itself. I know it's a techie question better suited for AVS, but I've been waiting for this patch I knew was coming.
    You're sure you never saw that anywhere else? It was the lesser-known, but recognized problem with HDMI...you get audio output, but it comes out pro logic and not DD. As far as I understand, that was not fixed. You don't have to reset the system, just toggle the sound setting back and forth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand why I had to go through a 10 minute update....when my 360 doesn't even HAVE HDMI! Ugh. That was irritating.

Oh...and I had issues with MS's tech support too. I called them because my 360 randomly stopped seeing my PC two days in a row and I couldn't get it to detect my PC. I looked up everything that could be done online beforehand and tried it all....nothing. I called....got someone who had NO clue what a command prompt was and couldn't understand that I'd already tried what she was reading to me off the screen....then told me I was connected to the wrong department, transferred me....then that person transferred me back to the original department since it was the right one...then that person hung up on me.

I called back....and got someone who sort of understood...and also hung up on me.

Then I called back a 3rd time....insisted on speaking with a manager (which took FOREVER). Then I got the manager, explained to him what was going on and he actually understood what I was saying. And then told me he'd never heard of that problem, had no idea what would cause it, and would help me troubleshoot it. While I was waiting for him to leaf through his tech manuals....I managed to get it working again somehow....and thank goodness...because he hung up on me.

Seriously...3 hangups, a wrong transfer, and 3 CS personnel that had NO clue about what they were reading, much less the actual tech! The one lady argued with me when what she read didn't work...insisting I must have followed instructions wrong. "Do you have this box checked and this box greyed out?" Um...they were already like that. "Well, did you do that?" No...they were already as you asked. Like 4 times. Then it was "Is your firewall active?" No...I don't use firewalls or anti-viruses. "Well, you probably have them turned on and don't know it." No....I don't use them...they're deactivated.

I used to get a LOT better service. It seems like they never want to give you to someone who has any inkling how tech actually works. Bah.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."