Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leander/black crypt.

Insert Coin (Level 0) dustylights's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default leander/black crypt.

i am looking for any info on these two games.
    i have a cotest poster from EA,i think it from 91 or 92?
    anyway in the upper right hand corner these two games are shown both with
    boxes(mock-ups?)and one with two screen shots(black crypt.)
    these are i am guesing to be rpg/dungeon crawlers. the black crypt screen shots remind me of eye of the beholder??

again thanks ahead..

dustylights...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, there was the game Leander from Psygnosis, not from EA. And I don't know if it made it to the PC. I had it for the Amiga, though. Great graphics and music, but not all that compelling. It was a side-scroller that was trying to be along the same line as Castlevania, but with a hell of a lot more style. It's intro music is one of my favorite video game soundtrack pieces.

Here's the cover for it.
    Last edited by Steve W; 06-02-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) dustylights's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes thats the same picture i have except it is reversed and the title is diffrent also
    no japanese writing.also forgot to mention the poster was for genesis system only.
    no mention of other platforms.

dustylights...

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I believe that Leander was released by EA on the Genesis in the US with a different name, Young Gallahad. I haven't played it, but it got lukewarm reviews back in the day, like all of the Genesis Psygnosis ports. I was bummed to hear that because the gameplay actually looks a bit like Strider, which is one of my personal favorites.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I believe that Leander was released by EA on the Genesis in the US with a different name, Young Gallahad. I haven't played it, but it got lukewarm reviews back in the day, like all of the Genesis Psygnosis ports. I was bummed to hear that because the gameplay actually looks a bit like Strider, which is one of my personal favorites.
    I believe in the US it was called Legend of Galahad. I have it, but I don't ever recall playing it. You're right though, if it's anything like the other EA Genesis/Psygnosis games, it's probably not so good.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Black Crypt was cancelled due to rampant piracy of the computer versions

dumb move, if you ask me... the Genesis version was the one that could've made up for all the losses on the other versions... who would've pirated it?
    Last edited by Iron Draggon; 02-04-2009 at 02:42 PM.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I believe in the US it was called Legend of Galahad. I have it, but I don't ever recall playing it. You're right though, if it's anything like the other EA Genesis/Psygnosis games, it's probably not so good.
    It's really too bad because most of Psygnosis' (particularly Reflections) Amiga games were amazing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I wasn't aware that Leander was ported to the Genesis. How was the music?

Off the tops of your heads, what are other Amiga ported games to the Genesis? Here's a quick few that I can recall:

The Chaos Engine - Soldiers of Fortune
    Skeleton Crew
    The Killing Game Show - Fatal Rewind
    Shadow of the Beast I & II
    Flink

Wasn't Wiz N' Liz an Amiga game? I thought I saw an ad for it in an Amiga magazine back in the day. Or it might have been something similar that I'm getting confused with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Well, technically Lemmings, Populous, and the Immortal were all Amiga games before they were Genesis games, I think. I have a feeling that a lot of the initial batch of EA games for the Genesis were Amiga ports.

The ones you listed are all the ones I can remember.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think Black Crypt ended up being an amiga exclusive. i have an empty box for the game i've been trying to get rid of now that you bring it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Also there was an early EA game called Sword of Sodan I believe. I had... erm... "acquired" a floppy from a... colleague who... ahem... "sourced" a lot of Amiga games from various and sundry places, shall we say. Anyhow, I fired the game up. Ever immediately hate a game? No real reason for it, you just get the vibe that the game sucks down to it's pitch black core just after a minute of playing it? I also had read horrible reviews about it later on. Then, EA ports it to the Genesis. Way to make people hate your games, EA! You could have ported a thousand other Amiga games, but Sword of Sodan was apparently high on your list of games that desperately needed to get into the mainstream. I pick up a few Genesis games here and there, but I won't pick up that one. I've come across it in a few thrift stores and such, and won't touch it.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Also there was an early EA game called Sword of Sodan I believe. I had... erm... "acquired" a floppy from a... colleague who... ahem... "sourced" a lot of Amiga games from various and sundry places, shall we say. Anyhow, I fired the game up. Ever immediately hate a game? No real reason for it, you just get the vibe that the game sucks down to it's pitch black core just after a minute of playing it? I also had read horrible reviews about it later on. Then, EA ports it to the Genesis. Way to make people hate your games, EA! You could have ported a thousand other Amiga games, but Sword of Sodan was apparently high on your list of games that desperately needed to get into the mainstream. I pick up a few Genesis games here and there, but I won't pick up that one. I've come across it in a few thrift stores and such, and won't touch it.
    heh, i acually really liked sword of sodan. the sound effects especially stuck with me. i can still hear the scorpion dog things skeletonizeing after a kill. or that wierd "huh huh" noise the soilders make.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    You know, I always loved Sword of Sodan on the Amiga (never played the Genny version). I know this game got a lot of hate, and if I played it now I probably wouldn't like it as much but at the time I played the heck out of it. The soundtrack was fantastic as well - I thought it was so cool that it had synthesized, choir-like voices in the music.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speedball 2, Battle Squadron, Cannon Fodder and Xenon 2 were probably ported from the Amiga as well.
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

most games for Genesis & SNES were Amiga ports, so apparently nearly every Amiga game ever made eventually ended up on one or both of those two consoles... that's the beauty of it... I'm essentially an Amiga gamer without having to know squat about running all those games on an authentic Amiga

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Wow, I thought I was alone in liking Sword of Sodan. To be fair, it's probably been over a decade since I've played it, but I liked it a lot back then, if only for being able to saw the giants' heads off.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    most games for Genesis & SNES were Amiga ports, so apparently nearly every Amiga game ever made eventually ended up on one or both of those two consoles... that's the beauty of it... I'm essentially an Amiga gamer without having to know squat about running all those games on an authentic Amiga
    That is not even close to being true. There are maybe a few dozen games total for the two systems that were Amiga ports and they were limited to titles by EA and some other licensed conversions of some Hewson and Bit Map Brothers titles. Also, the console versions often lacked the speed, graphics and audio quality of their Amiga inspirations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think there's alot more than you realize... I know First Samurai is one on the SNES, but I still don't own it yet... if the rest weren't Amiga ports, they were PC ports or arcade ports... there's really very little original software for either system... most of the original stuff was in-house stuff by Sega or Nintendo

maybe I'm counding CD32 games as well in my opinion, but that was still an Amiga system, wasn't it? so if you count ports from all Amiga systems, there should be more, but I don't know them all... besides the ones mentioned, I can only think of Zool & Zool 2 off the top of my head... but I know there's alot more... didn't Sunsoft and Accolade make games for Amiga systems also?

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Amiga ports at least are only a very small fraction of SNES games. And I doubt anything from the CD32 was ported to the SNES, since the CD32 had hardly any exclusive titles. The majority was regular Amiga games with added CD audio.
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    I think there's alot more than you realize... I know First Samurai is one on the SNES, but I still don't own it yet... if the rest weren't Amiga ports, they were PC ports or arcade ports... there's really very little original software for either system... most of the original stuff was in-house stuff by Sega or Nintendo

maybe I'm counding CD32 games as well in my opinion, but that was still an Amiga system, wasn't it? so if you count ports from all Amiga systems, there should be more, but I don't know them all... besides the ones mentioned, I can only think of Zool & Zool 2 off the top of my head... but I know there's alot more... didn't Sunsoft and Accolade make games for Amiga systems also?
    Sunsoft only did a port of Lemmings and Firepower 2000 which is the console version of SWIV, but it had major graphics changes and levels changed, so it wasn't really a straight port. The rest of the Sunsoft 16 bit catalog was a lot of Disney and Warner Bros. license titles and some original IPs. Accolade certainly released versions of their games on a variety of platforms, but I don't think they were Amiga ports. In fact, I think a lot of their games released almost simultaneously on the PC, Amiga, and various consoles. Considering the SNES and Genesis have more than a thousand titles between them in the US, the 25-30 games which were either Amiga ports or on the Amiga as well is a pretty small number.